Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Duckrow
Duckrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 1 and 2
Palm M125 help needed

Remembering back in the day, how I loved reading on my Palm V, I thought I would like a travel reader that used easy to get AAA batteries. I found that the M125 was the only one with sd card support that ran on AAA's and long battery life to boot just right for a cycle tour or the like. I bought a good example thinking I'd still have my old software somewhere and would be up and going in no time.
All has gone well (screen even better than I remembered) except That I can't find a suitable backup program. I've had a lot of Palms over the years and I thought I had solved this aspect but can't find anything that works on OS4. The resco program I have is for OS5 and all the programs I've tried have hung the palm on restore.
My idea is that if for some reason my palm crashes, batteries die etc I would restore from a backup on the card. That seems OK but when I restore the data the screen freezes and I have to do a hard reset.

Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks
Duckrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckrow View Post
All has gone well (screen even better than I remembered) except That I can't find a suitable backup program. I've had a lot of Palms over the years and I thought I had solved this aspect but can't find anything that works on OS4. The resco program I have is for OS5 and all the programs I've tried have hung the palm on restore.
Hi Duckrow,

which programs (for Palm OS 4) did you try? Hard to advise without knowing ...

I think before switching to RscBAckup on Palm OS 5 I once tried "Innerbackup" (Palm OS 4) on one of my Palms for a while. Did work allright with me then. But there are reports about trouble with this program later and that it was not working any longer. - Edit: Yes, it's not working. I deleted the link here. -

Ah, wait, something else: Did you try "UniCMD"? UniCMD (Uni Commander, Universal Commander für PalmOS®) is a program to manage, backup and exchange databases and files on PalmOS® computers. Its really a filemanager with many options and allows you to copy files from and to the SD-Card easily and work with them in many ways. (Far more comfortable than filez.) It also includes a backup function. You find the freeware here. It should run under Palm OS 4 but I can't test that for you.

Edit:
The name of another freeware program that did work with my Palms came back to me just now: Red Feline Backup. Try to download it from here.

Good Luck!

beachwanderer

Last edited by beachwanderer; 03-12-2010 at 09:02 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just the short notice that I did try out UniCMD on an old Palm Vx with PalmOS 4.1 0.3.0 now and it does run on that old OS too.

But since the Palm Vx does not have an SD-Card-Slot I can't test the backup function.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Duckrow
Duckrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 1 and 2
Thanks but I googled UniCMD and could only find references to a ringtone, where can I find it? Thanks

Last edited by Duckrow; 08-21-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Duckrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckrow View Post
Thanks but I googled UniCMD and could only find references to a ringtone, where can I find it? Thanks
Beachwanderer had a link in his original post. You can find it here: http://www.unicmd.de/de/index.html

UniCMD is a swiss army knife, and backup is only one function it performs.

My usual ebook reader is also a PalmOS PDA. In my case, it's a Tapwave Zodiac 2. Tapwave was trying to create a PDA that was also a handheld gaming platform, so it has things like a 320x480 screen driven by an ATI chip with 2D acceleration and 8MB video RAM, Yamaha stereo sound with (tiny) stereo speakers on device, 128MB of RAM, and two SD card slots. Tapwave went belly up on 2005, but I have three Zodiacs, so...

I got started in ebooks when a former employer decided all of the IT staff should PDAs, and a Handspring Visor Deluxe showed up in interoffice mail. It wasn't clear what I was supposed to do with it, so I looked for software that would help me in my work. One of the things I discovered was the documentation for the systems I administered was largely in a form I could convert and store on the PDA, and have a documentation library in my pocket. Once I discovered I could comfortably read fiction on the PDA, my fate was sealed.

At this point, about half of the purpose in life of the Zodiac is to be an ebook viewer, and there are 4,000+ volumes occupying about 1.7GB of a 2GB SD card.

My principle ebook viewer is Plucker, an offline HTML Viewer. An awful lot of ebooks are out there in HTML format, from Project Gutenberg, Creative Commons licensed editions, the Baen Free Library and elsewhere. They convert handily to files viewable with the Plucker viewer on the device. Plucker supports color, embedded images, hyperlinks, text attributes and (under OS5) custom fonts.

I also have the Palm OS version of the Mobipocket viewer, the eReader program for PML format files, the open source PalmPDF viewer for PDF files, and the open source PalmFiction view, with handles PalmDOC files, zText files, RTF files (which it displays as plain text), standard ASCII text files on a card, and text files in Zip archives on a card.

Plucker is here: http://www.plkr.org

Mobipocket is here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ailsReader.asp

eReader is here: http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/ereader.htm

PalmPDF is here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/palmpdf.shtml

PalmFiction is here: http://palmfiction.sourceforge.net/
(site is in Russian, but there's an English version of the program.)

I don't know offhand if all of these run under OS4.

Between them, there isn't a lot I can't handle, and things I can't read directly, like ePub, are easy to convert to something I can read.

They'll pry my Zodiac from my cold, dead fingers.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-13-2010 at 11:39 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
beachwanderer
-

Oh, yes.

You did get carried away a bit there didn't you, Dennis?

We Zodiac-Users are a somewhat peculiar bunch- trying to convince others of the advantages of hardware and software that is half a decade old .

(But you are right of course. Got myself a new a battery and started using the old Zod2 again both as an ebook-reader and mp3 player (that yamaha chip still blows away most current/cheap mp3 players and the screen still is good in sunlight with the backlight -off- ) ).

But the idea to use an old m125 as an independent ebook reader really is a good one if one wants to read black on green (and it's readable in sunlight too!).

Last edited by beachwanderer; 09-13-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post

Oh, yes.

You did get carried away a bit there didn't you, Dennis?
That was just the ebook specific part, and it's applicable to other Palm OS devices. I started, after all, on a Handspring Visor Deluxe, and progressed from there to a Visor Pro, and then a Tungsten E before getting a Zodiac.

The "killer app" for the Zodiac is Picard's Palm port of TCPMP. The Zodiac community took up a collection to get him a Zodiac for development, and the result was support for the Zodiac's ATI video chip. There are reams elsewhere on the best way to rip your DVDs to something you can put on an SD card and watch on your Zodiac...

See http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/

Quote:
We Zodiac-Users are a somewhat peculiar bunch- trying to convince others of the advantages of hardware and software that is half a decade old .
The Tapwave folks missed the boat. With TCPMP, you have the basics of a dandy handheld media player, and had they gone in that direction in the first place they might still be with us. It was well ahead of its time when released, and still competitive for a lot of uses.

Quote:
(But you are right of course. Got myself a new a battery and started using the old Zod2 again both as an ebook-reader and mp3 player (that yamaha chip still blows away most current/cheap mp3 players and the screen still is good in sunlight with the backlight -off- ) ).
Yeah, works a treat. The problem with the Tungsten E that the Zodiac replaced was that I couldn't turn the backlight off. As it happens, there's a hack that will let you do it, but I didn't find about about the hack until the TE was failing and I got a Zodiac to replace it.

Quote:
But the idea to use an old m125 as an independent ebook reader really is a good one if one wants to read black on green (and it's readable in sunlight too!).
I used something similar for years, and it worked fine. It's indirectly responsible for my winding up here...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote