Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #661
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The capacative styli are much better imo than the resistive ones, not quite as good as the wacom ones but very good.

It seems like you will have to wait and see what apps come out, what your hoping for is certainly possible and i'm sure others would want that type too so who knows.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #662
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
As other's noted any 3rd party app would probably only allow handwriting within the app, so it would be more limited than having it built in and able to use across all the relevant programs where I'd want to mark stuff up.
Yep. For me personally I'm interested in a stylus-using tablet, which will give me the tactile feedback I'm looking for. And I'll want it universally, so either native support or an OS which allows that kind of driver integration (Windows or Linux, effectively) is necessary.

As I've said before, I'm basically looking for a lighter version of my old Fujitsu Stylistic 1200, which was pretty much exactly what I wanted in a tablet. (Oh, quicker boot times and such would be nice, but..)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #663
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I appreciate the link. It has broadened my perspective. I was gun ho on getting a 2nd generation iPad as a netbook alternative. It's just that my "desire" for handwritten annotation "within documents" is still here.
Yeah, that's a good site - one of my sons pointed me to it. You nailed it - broadened perspective here, too.

I'm with you all the way on handwriting. I think it makes tremendous sense on the Pad - maybe more than soft keyboard typing, actually. Doctors and others are going to be carrying the Pad around and making notes - you need a stylus for that, because you have to sit down to type.

It's become clear to me that the Pad & my iPhone are going to cover the bases for me. It's already entering my consciousness - I'm reading more on my iphone since the announcement, & less on my Sonys. I already know where I'm going to keep my keyboard, & where the recharging stations are going to be. I even latched onto a nice little leather Coach bag which I think is going to be a good Pad carrier. And I realize that casting all rationality aside, I'm going to get the 64. I'm still struggling with the 3G issue, but I expect to lose.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #664
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I even latched onto a nice little leather Coach bag which I think is going to be a good Pad carrier. And I realize that casting all rationality aside, I'm going to get the 64. I'm still struggling with the 3G issue, but I expect to lose.
You know, if the 3G had required ANOTHER 2 year contract with AT&T, there is no way it would succeed, in my opinion. But..3G, with no contract? Only pay if you use it? Damn.

(Although, my biggest wish didn't come true. I was hoping the whole "no 3G tethering with the iPhone" was merely because Jobs was going to announce that the iPad would have free tethering for iPhone owners. That would have been killer)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #665
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I was hoping the whole "no 3G tethering with the iPhone" was merely because Jobs was going to announce that the iPad would have free tethering for iPhone owners. That would have been killer
No kidding! That would have sold not only a buncha Pads, but a whole lotta new iPhones.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #666
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
No kidding! That would have sold not only a buncha Pads, but a whole lotta new iPhones.
*blinks* I've read that you CAN share 3G from the iPhone to the iPad. Got a link on that?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #667
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
*blinks* I've read that you CAN share 3G from the iPhone to the iPad. Got a link on that?
I also thought I heard/read that somewhere!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #668
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I can tether my iphone with my laptop now as its jailbroken and i use mywifi so I will be able to tether my iPad to it straight away.

However the most recent iPhone software 3.0 allows tethering http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

it may be more expensive than the current offer for teh 3G iPad.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #669
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
If i buy a handwriting app, it will not let me use handwriting in the Email software or in safari or in iWork, I would have to use the keyboard.
Ok, point taken. I do miss not being able to use the WritePad HWR in other apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
If a capacitive stylus works well for people with small and sloppy writing and there's apps that let me write on PDFs, books, word documents and everything else I mark up with pen and paper currently I'd consider one.
I'm quite impressed with how well the Pogo Sketch and WritePad work, actually. And I know Apple has handwriting recognition software in their portfolio (Ink). Perhaps if there's enough demand they'll release an update to the iP OS that will make use of it, especially on the larger models. Or maybe they'll use multitouch to recognize when someone has an imaginary stylus in their hand, as suggested in this article:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/12/...and-much-more/
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #670
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
And I realize that casting all rationality aside, I'm going to get the 64. I'm still struggling with the 3G issue, but I expect to lose.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #671
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Only thing I've seen involves jailbreaking.

AT&T was supposed to allow tethering for an additional payment of $TooDamn.Much but I don't know if that was implemented. I think that we can be sure that they will charge for iPhone/Pad tethering, should it come into being.