Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Asus EeePC Netbook $129.95

Geeks has refurbished Asus EeePC Netbooks in black or white for $129.95. Apply coupon code 900m to get this price. Click Here
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I played with one of these for quite a while one day in the store and while I believe they are decent quality, man, the text is just to small on web pages and such for me. I have been looking at a 12inch display. Perfect small size I believe for anyone's eyes and not too heavy either. Cost much more of course however.

But the price of these has come way down since they were first introduced for those who can use them. Good buy.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I find that my eee is very useful when travelling, though don't use it much when a larger keyboard and screen are available.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
The picture shows a 7" eeepc 701 (800x480) not what it says as a 8.9" (1024x600)
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That's exacty the one I'm writing on now, the 4g. I paid cad$399 when it came out and I still like it. It fell to the ground a few times and survived thanks to the tiny 4gb flash based HD.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
So what do you think of it as a reader? I'm considering getting one for my daughter (voracious reader) to use as a reader / web browser / writer. She doesn't need any big deal software - I'm just looking for something small and portable for her as she enters 9th grade.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
They're out of stock! I didn't act fast enough.
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Eee as reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
So what do you think of it as a reader? I'm considering getting one for my daughter (voracious reader) to use as a reader / web browser / writer. She doesn't need any big deal software - I'm just looking for something small and portable for her as she enters 9th grade.
I like reading on the EeePC 4G (7") screen. The screen is good quality and the backlight adjusts to quite low so that is easy-on-the-eyes in dark conditions, as well as in ambient lighting.

For your daughter, I'd recommend a 9-10" netbook. Prices should be OK and usability for studying (reading/editing/browsing/annotating) is MUCH better.

I use the Eee for reading fiction novels (html format), watching movies - and it's great for travelling (PMP + checking email and skype). Plus, I can keep track of expenses (simple spreadsheet) and take notes in meetings if necessary. The SSD is solid and it has a quick boot-up time. I bought a 4 hr battery - so it's fine for short-med flights and train trips, and most of a day's seminar or meetings. And I don't have to stress out if it happens to drop & break or gets stolen.

Asus has a new 9" tablet version (t91) coming out later this year that might be good to check out.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Netbooks make lousy eBook readers, in my experience. The letterbox screen is the wrong shape and, even if you turn it sideways, the keyboard just gets in the way.

I use my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 whenever I go away, but not as a reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Netbooks make lousy eBook readers, in my experience. The letterbox screen is the wrong shape and, even if you turn it sideways, the keyboard just gets in the way.

I use my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 whenever I go away, but not as a reader.
I agree on the screen format issue, however I did find that Adobe Digital Editions was the best to read on my netbook because it allows you to zoom in and fill the screen.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
mgrunk
Zealot

hmmm - so - can you put microsoft reader or mobipocket on them?

I'm hoping by Christmas there will be some deals - my son who bought his own desktop will be peeved, but he does some gaming, so I don't know that he'd have been happy w/ a laptop that he could have afforded.

BTW, I read a tech article that said desktops are going to go the way of the dinosaurs. ... I have 4 kids computers networked and have kids from 2 up to 14 - I can't imagine having to replace them w/ laptops because they're just more fragile. I like that expensive box sitting under a desk and I can swap out dead components easily. They've killed 2 dvd players in the last month from jamming the drawer shut.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:

I like that expensive box sitting under a desk and I can swap out dead components easily. They've killed 2 dvd players in the last month from jamming the drawer shut.
My Acer Netbook is running XP, so yes I have Mobipocket, microsoft reader, Adobe Digital Editions, and Ereader Pro running on it.

I also agree that the Desktop is much easier to upgrade or repair. I don't see them going away, but I do see them becoming less popular.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
mgrunk
Zealot

Yes, maybe they won't totally go away - but it floors me to go into a bestbuy or fry's and see laptops cheaper than baseline desktops w/ no screen.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Of course. A netbook running XP is like any other laptop running XP.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Of course. A netbook running XP is like any other laptop running XP.
While you theoretically can run any windows software on a netbook running XP, bear in mind that they will run very slowly. Even the infamous Celeron 420 processor you find on the cheapest notebook is two times faster than the Atom 230 coming standard in every netbook.
An entry level Intel desktop processor like the E5200 is about 5 times faster.

Some software will also be limited by the screen resolution, especially some recent netbook that only have a resolution of 1024 x 576 pixels (most have 1024x600).
Many software need at least 600 verticals pixels, while many need a minimal resolution of 1024x768.

Quote:
I'm hoping by Christmas there will be some deals - my son who bought his own desktop will be peeved, but he does some gaming, so I don't know that he'd have been happy w/ a laptop that he could have afforded.
As for gaming, currently all netbooks are only adequate for very old games or 2D games like card games.
If you want to game on a laptop you have to look for Laptop including Nvidia or Ati graphics, and avoid Intel Graphic. It's still cheaper to game on a desktop as good graphics for laptop are still priced at a premium.

A netbook is a good choice for a second PC as it have great portability, but most people would be disappointed using it as a main computer.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote