Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #421
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I like my NASCAR but we got rid of cable so I'll just keep up to date through the internet.
NASCAR... isn't that the driving game where they go round and round trying to find where to take a left turn?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #422
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Actually I need a book after a baseball game..
Baseball is great for reading. You just read until you hear the crowd cheer then you look at the TV to see the replay and after the replay, you go right back to reading.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I received our second PW (my wifes) yesterday and there is clearly a difference in the screen between the two. The new one is brighter at the same settings so when I do an comparison at the optimal setting for mine and use the same number for hers, it looks too bright and the shadows show up. When I set hers 1 number below mine they both look pretty similar. Not sure if we are going to return hers or not. Need to look at it again today.
Photos showing both side-by-side please.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #424
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
NASCAR... isn't that the driving game where they go round and round trying to find where to take a left turn?
Hey now don't dis my sport. I come from a family of mechanics so I love racing. There's nothing like sitting on a bench at the start of a race listening to 46 motors rev and feel the power of it shake the place. It's total bliss! Till you've been to Bristol Motor speedway you just wouldn't understand how awesome it is to watch cars go around and around for hours.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #425
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
SB Sarah has posted a PW review, I know this thread is really for MR user reviews, but I thought the pics in the review did a good job of showing the blotchiness problem some folks are having. So my question for those having problems is are these pics a good example? It looks like the northern lights are shining on the screen in some of those pics (although she doesn't seem to mind/notice it), if my screen looked like that it would drive me nuts.

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/b...hite-my-review
If I adjust the laptop screen just so, I can see where the 4 LEDs are on the KPW in all of the photos.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #426
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
OMG Blossom you'd fit in quite well with my husband and son. They're watching the truck race as I type.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #427
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
OMG Blossom you'd fit in quite well with my husband and son. They're watching the truck race as I type.
No Cable here so I have to keep up through the leaderboard although I've only had time to follow the cup series this year.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #428
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just received my PW NSO and it is totally white on the screen with fonts totally black. Contrast is perfect and there are no blotches anywhere that I can see.
Photos please.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #429
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
- I like quick access to Cloud, and the addition of 'Recent' sort there (as compared with Kindle Touch)
Do you know that the cloud is just the same old Amazon server that's been there holding your eBooks? It's now called the cloud, but it's no different then what Amazon used before calling it the cloud. It's not really cloud storage as it is Amazon storing your eBooks for you.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #430
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You bathtub readers will be happy to know that Paperwhite passes the ziplock test. I'm able to operate it just fine while it is inside a standard Ziplock freezer bag. That's capacitative touch for you. Take that, Nook and Kobo!

Probably possible to design a waterproof case that allows underwater operation to some modest depth. Dive charts anyone?
It would just be a lot easier to take a quick shower and then read after drying off. Sitting and reading in dirty water is not my idea of fun.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #431
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hey now don't dis my sport. I come from a family of mechanics so I love racing. There's nothing like sitting on a bench at the start of a race listening to 46 motors rev and feel the power of it shake the place. It's total bliss! Till you've been to Bristol Motor speedway you just wouldn't understand how awesome it is to watch cars go around and around for hours.
According to Jeff Foxworthy, rednecks collect NASCAR commemorative plates.

But to be serious, I've never been able to get into the sort of racing where they just drive in a big circle/ovel over and over. It's just (IMHO) boring. It's like trying to watch grass grow. Unless of course there is a major accident.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #432
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You have my deepest and sincere condolences.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #433
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
It would just be a lot easier to take a quick shower and then read after drying off. Sitting and reading in dirty water is not my idea of fun.
I'm a girl. I don't make bathwater dirty. The tub is full of flowers and rainbows when I get out.

(Seriously, long-bubble-bath-lover here, never occurred to me to try a ziploc. I have a little bluetooth speaker in the bathroom, I switch to audiobooks from my iphone when bathing. God forbid I pass a moment without some sort of entertainment.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #434
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
God forbid I pass a moment without some sort of entertainment.
This. I vacuumed to a TTS book (FBReader) on my phone this afternoon since I'm all caught up on podcasts and wasn't in a music mood.

Quote:
You have my deepest and sincere condolences.
I've learned to tune out Nascar like I've learned to tune out the FD scanners all over the house!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #435
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
This. I vacuumed to a TTS book (FBReader) on my phone this afternoon since I'm all caught up on podcasts and wasn't in a music mood.
I honestly have no idea how I ever did housework, or long cooking prep (which is now downright pleasant) before I discovered nice long audiobooks.

(And TTS, although I've used that less--only the built-in on my KK. It never occurred to me to try it on my phone or iPad--I'll have to look into that.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote