Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched, 100% kepubs); Calibre 5 (Win10)
Some ebooks are now taking much longer to close or to put the ereader in Standby mode

Some of the ebooks I'm reading have recently started to take from 25 up to 40 seconds to close and go back to the Home menu, or to access the Annotations menu, or to put the device in Standby mode.
This issue only involves a bunch of the ebooks that I'm reading (they didn't suffer from this issue only a few days ago).

The navigation outside of these ebooks (Kobo home, menues and settings) and inside these ebooks (page turn, new highlighting, new annotations, etc.) works flawlessly as usual.

The problem exists no matter the file size and the number of pages of the ebook (it happens on a 70-page book and on a 10k-page book), and regardless of the presence of annotations/highlightings.

I tried to sync alternative copies of the same problematic ebooks and they don't suffer from the same issue.

My usual workflow with the ereader is to read and highlight stuff, and to sync new books or delete some of them through Calibre. No patching or hacking activity whatsoever, so I really don't know what might have caused this problem.

I could even to a database backup/restore, as my Kobo library is 100% kepub and the folders are all organized with the same structure... But I'm afraid to lose highlighting/bookmarkss and reading status.

UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED

Found a very old comment from davidfor where he presented the then new "Compress device database" feature and explained that it could have helped after adding tons of ebooks to the devide.
As a matter of fact I have 1200+ books on my 2-week old Kobo.

So I tried: Kobo Utilities > Database > Compress the device database

The operation was successful (no errors) and it did the trick! All the books close as fast as they used to!
No files or annotations/highlightings/bookmarks lost in the process !
(I did a backup before trying this solution of course)

Many many thanks to davidfor for his Swiss knife of a plugin!

Last edited by jxall; 01-19-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Problem solved
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm surprised the compress helped with this. If it had been a problem for everything, then yes, this is something to help. Maybe the books just fluked getting into a badly organised part of the database file. Or an index needed to be rebuilt.

The device can do a compress of the database. But, I've never worked out the exact timing. It might be during a restart.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
close, navigation, respond, slow, standby