Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As @davidfor just said, nothing ever feeds you a .kepub, certainly not Kobo itself.

Calibre only uses it *internally* as a file extension if you happen to store KePubs in your library, a decision which I suspect was made purely for simplicity's sake.

As soon as you Send To Device, it's sent as a .kepub.epub. Which I'm pretty sure is also another Calibre convention: I haven't checked, but I suspect that even without a kepub mention in the filename, your device would figure out it's a KePub and not a straight ePub .

Code:
'/home/niluje/Calibre/Douglas Adams/The Ultimate Hitchhiker'\''s Guide to the Galaxy (79)/The Ultimate Hitchhiker'\''s Guide to the Gal - Douglas Adams.kepub'

->

/mnt/onboard/Adams, Douglas/Ultimate Hitchhiker_s Guide to the Galaxy, The - Douglas Adams.kepub.epub
(Because, again, Kobo's own KePubs don't even *have* a file extension).

Code:
A bunch of UUIDs in /mnt/onboard/.kobo/kepub
It’s got to be something I’m missing then since using a ‘factory default’ calibre with the only added plugins being the ones from Alf which shouldn’t affect this, and the various kobo ones, I can very much attest that the send specific format to device and allowing the conversion to happen as part of this process and converting on my computer and sending the kepub over resulted in unusable files. It’s fully possible I did something wrong in this process as it was around 12:30am.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can confirm now that the files were sent as 'bookname'.kepub not as 'bookname'.kepub.epub
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Windows/macOS hiding known extensions, which leaves you with only the .kepub prefix visible?

(I'm pretty sure the Kobo would spit out a file with a plain .kepub extension).

EDIT: @davidfor is obviously more familiar with this, but I'm pretty sure the (.kepub -> .kepub.epub) magic happens here.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-08-2019 at 12:30 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I think the reason for kepub.epub is to consent to Kobo device to use ACCESS engine:

https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Windows/macOS hiding known extensions, which leaves you with only the .kepub prefix visible?

(I'm pretty sure the Kobo would spit out a file with a plain .kepub extension).

EDIT: @davidfor is obviously more familiar with this, but I'm pretty sure the (.kepub -> .kepub.epub) magic happens here.
Mac OS X, but even with 'show all filename extensions' checked, and recreating the kepubs they are still only .kepub not .kepub.epub

Sadly I've no mind for the code you posted, I'm aware those are words and could possibly puzzle out what they do. But making the leap from that to how to get calibre to spit out .kepub.epub is beyond me. I have looked at the configuration options for Kobo Output (none), Kobo extended touch (none which seem to apply to the file extension), and Kobo Utilities (none which apply to the extension).
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I can confirm now that the files were sent as 'bookname'.kepub not as 'bookname'.kepub.epub
Your Kobo device needs .kepub.epub to trigger using the ACCESS renderer for a sideloaded ebook. .kepub is not a recognized extension. This will also keep Dropbox happy.

Quote:
Mac OS X, but even with 'show all filename extensions' checked, and recreating the kepubs they are still only .kepub not .kepub.epub

Sadly I've no mind for the code you posted, I'm aware those are words and could possibly puzzle out what they do. But making the leap from that to how to get calibre to spit out .kepub.epub is beyond me. I have looked at the configuration options for Kobo Output (none), Kobo extended touch (none which seem to apply to the file extension), and Kobo Utilities (none which apply to the extension).
You could use Send to Disk and then rename the files from .epub to .kepub.epub. I haven't done this in years but I seem to remember the bulk rename on a Mac allowing me to add text to a filename.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-08-2019 at 12:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #22
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Your Kobo device needs .kepub.epub to trigger using the ACCESS renderer for a sideloaded ebook. .kepub is not a recognized extension. This will also keep Dropbox happy.
Yes, I get that, the question is getting calibre to append .epub to the filename. NiLuJe has indicated it should happen automagically, which does not appear to be the case.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I get that, the question is getting calibre to append .epub to the filename. NiLuJe has indicated it should happen automagically, which does not appear to be the case.
The automagically is done by the KoboTouchExtended driver when sending a book being converted to kepub to your device.

Looks as if you read my previous message when I was editing it to add suggesting to use Send to Disk and then a bulk rename.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The KoboTouchExtended driver does the exact same thing, as expected.

Which begs my next question: *how*, exactly, are you sending books to your device?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #25
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:

Which begs my next question: *how*, exactly, are you sending books to your device?
Following up on this, I think what would work well is to use Calibre's connect to directory (folder?) option instead of (or in addition to) putting your library directly under Dropbox. This tells Calibre to treat an arbitrary directory as if it were an ebook reader device. Select a directory under your Dropbox directory, configure it to use the KoboTouchExtended plugin, and send your books over. You keep the originals in your library and the connected directory will get the converted Kepub files named *.kepub.epub. And then pull your books from this directory instead of your library.

I'm assuming connected directories can be configured to use device plugins. I don't know; I haven't tried it.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:

In calibre select ebook(s) - send specific format to device (the apps folder created by linking kobo and Dropbox), if no kepub exists calibre asks if I want to convert I say yes it sends they are sent as .kepub

I have not changed any settings in kobo touch extended from its install.

This is a calibre install with nothing changed other than adding the kobo touch extended, kobo utilities, kobo output, and the Alf plugins.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Ah. Then I suspect that the "send specific format" workflow might not be going through the exact same pipeline as a plain "Send To Device" .

Whether that ought to be considered a bug or not is above my pay grade .

EDIT: See next answers for more context, which makes this whole point moot .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-08-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard

Ok so how do I get send to device to default to kepub? My understanding is it’d send whatever is in the library in this case ePub.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Ok so how do I get send to device to default to kepub? My understanding is it’d send whatever is in the library in this case ePub.
One problem is that Dropbox is not a device. At best, it would be treated as a Save to Disk.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #30
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One problem is that Dropbox is not a device. At best, it would be treated as a Save to Disk.
I’m not sure how calibre handles it under the hood but here’s how I linked and access Dropbox via calibre

Connect to folder - select the folder designated by kobo

This then causes an on device column to appear and pops up the device options in the toolbar among other areas.

It’s through send to device that everything is done.

From everything I can see it should treat the destination as a device not as save to disk.