Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #151
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcsev View Post
please,

How many are "large..." or "very large..."

if someone tells me how many bytes is large or very large, then I would be able to decide whether they are large or not
For epub, calibre uses 260KB as to large. That comes from older ereaders, but, the RMSDK used for epubs still seems to work on it. You can go larger without any real problems. The epub renderer will probably put in a forced page break at about that point. You probably won't notice any real performance issues until 1MB.

For kepub, the problem size is a lot larger. I have loaded book with more than 1MB in the internal files with no issues. An average size novel wouldn't cause a problem. But, for kepubs, having multiple ToC entries pointing into a large file will cause problems. You won't really have problems unless you are trying to build a large omnibus of some sort.

The above is from my experimenting over the years. Best practice is one chapter per file, and one ToC per file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #152
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kepub will handle the larger files without problems, but as you go over 0.5MB, you will notice a pause when you turn that page, opening the new chapter. As that pause gets longer and longer, that can be annoying if, for whatever reason, your flipping back and forth at that point.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #153
Gorcsev
Enthusiast
Gorcsev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Now I checked in one epub all the chunks, and I "unpacked" them to single HTMLs.

The largest chunk is 110KB, the others are between 20-60KB.

I made the epub with Sigil. The ToC is generated by Sigil as well.

And my observation is: at the chapter change the page turn is extremely slow.
Gorcsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Now I checked in one epub all the chunks, and I "unpacked" them to single HTMLs.

The largest chunk is 110KB, the others are between 20-60KB.

I made the epub with Sigil. The ToC is generated by Sigil as well.

And my observation is: at the chapter change the page turn is extremely slow.
Does the new chapter perhaps have a graphic for the chapter header?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #155
Gorcsev
Enthusiast

Does it know anyone where can I find that tool which converts an epub text to random text for testing?

I would convert one of mine and upload here to review by the experts
Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #156
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does it know anyone where can I find that tool which converts an epub text to random text for testing?

I would convert one of mine and upload here to review by the experts
It's a Calibre plugin called "ScrambleEbook"
Old 01-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #157
Gorcsev
Enthusiast

thank you, that's it

please find attached a book (scrambled) for viewing where could be a problem
Attached Files
File Type: epub Gorcsev_test.epub (938.5 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Gorcsev; 01-18-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #158
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
thank you, that's it

please find attached a book (scrambled) for viewing where could be a problem
I took a quick look at the book. I'd suggest installing the epubcheck plugin for Sigil ( EpubCheck plugin for Sigil ). You might also consider updating your version of Sigil (9.14 if you make use of BookView or 1.0 if you don't). I don't recommend using BookView for anything other than a quick view of the text since editing in BookView can result in rather strange code being generated.

The body style in your stylesheet for body is not valid. {text-rendering:optimizeLegibility;} is not part of the css supported by EPUB3. And there was an invalid opf:scheme in your content.opf file.

I did some cleanup and ran the book though kepubify 3.0. Sending both the kepub and epub versions to my Forma, I noticed a minor delay at chapter transitions which would be expected since I have the full screen refresh set to chapter but nothing that noticeable.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Gorcsev_test.epub (939.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: epub Gorcsev_test.kepub.epub (1.02 MB, 79 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 01-18-2020 at 01:00 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #159
rashkae
Wizard

Regardless of the issues pointed out, I can not replicate the problem described. Loaded as either epub or Kepub, I see no unusual delay in the transition between chapters.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #160
Gorcsev
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I took a quick look at the book.
Thank you, I will try your suggestions