Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Hello from Australia - a self publishing husband/wife team in the tropics :)

Hello everyone,

Don't worry, I'm not in this thread to spam the daylights out everyone (I'll save that for later ).

I've recently moved into the eBooks field after a while in print publishing and I must say it's quite an exciting transition. I'm profoundly happy to see that there's excellent support in the Linux camp for this sort of thing.

My wife and I live up in North Queensland of Australia, out in the rural areas and as you can imagine it frequently can be boring as all hell - there isn't even a single set of traffic-lights/robots here, amazing (fortunately we have 1 McDonalds store and a Subway so I suppose we're partially civilised )

My own background is that steeped in technology. I'm and electronics engineer, (model) aircraft designer, software developer (mostly OpenSource these days) and slave to the wishes of the novelist in the house

Many thanks for having me here.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, MrPLD.

We have a wonderful "writers corner" here you may enjoy.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Click on "Forums" above and see all the other great places to play.

Keep posting and join the family!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello Desertgrandma,

I've been looking around the site a bit already trying to find suitable places to get 'nested in'. Most of my posts are likely going to end up being in the technical areas - especially if they involve electronics or linux.

As a curiosity of note, I've read the 'signature rules' - but I wanted to check with others to see if the banner below is perhaps "too much" / "over the top" - it's a 450x90 image and about 7.5K in size, hosted on my own server.

http://elitadaniels.com

Last edited by MrPLD; 09-17-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: (Changed the banner, 7.5K, down to 450x90)
Old 09-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Banner looks good to me .... interesting quote.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Hello GeoffC, many thanks for the welcome.

I presume you're referring to the "They shall age like us. They shall die like us." ? It pretty much sums up the anguish in the book

The only thing we wish we could have done 'better' is to produce a proper illustrated cover by an artist, we already have the concept drawings but we ran out of cold hard cash by the time it came to the cover (editors, proof-reading etc turn out to be rather expensive :\ ).

Paul.
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Paul. And I envy you your location. My own wee indie house has an author in Queensland -- very much the outdoorsman -- called Andrew Thelander. We recently published his *Last Birds*, set in the 50s/60s in your magnificent neck of the woods Down Under.

You'll find it in the bookstore section of the site linked below. Take a look and, if you like what you see, just drop me a line of your preferred format and I'll be more than happy to send it along with our compliments. Very best of luck in your own ebook ventures.

Best wishes. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Thanks Neil, interesting that you've gotten a local writer considering your own location. No doubt of course many of us would love to be where you are, especially in our Summer (long hot summer here is expected with plenty of days over 42'C).

That said, I suppose there's nothing too unusual about global connections - given that we get our paperbacks printed by Lightning Source International in the UK

It'll be curious to see if that book appears when I next go into the bookshops.

Regards,
Paul.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! Wishing you much success with your book :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello and welcome. I love your picture. I have relatives in Brisbane,Sydney and Melbourne and have visited Australia. I love it there. Good luck with your books.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Happy, Sandra and CaraM,

Many thanks for the well wishes. It's been quite a learning experience for us the first time around. We're working hard to try raise enough finances to get out of this summer-furnace location, or rebuild the house so that we don't end up suffering so much each year. Winter here is too mild and too short (we'll get about 4 weeks of sub-10'C mornings and that is all ).

http://elitadaniels.com - Tree of Life Part I
Old 09-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Maybe someone can help me out here...

How do you setup a default signature for your account?

http://elitadaniels.com - Tree of Life (Part I); They shall age like us, they shall die like us
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Maybe someone can help me out here...

How do you setup a default signature for your account?

http://elitadaniels.com - Tree of Life (Part I); They shall age like us, they shall die like us

You should be able to create a signature line after one week and at least 10 posts. You should be there soon !.

Your User CP contains the necessary links ! Good look and Good luck !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

GeoffC,

Aah, the 1 week thing is what I'll be waiting on I see. Not a problem at all. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't blindingly missing something.