Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
just_kev
just_kev began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Question PRS600 Battery Life

I didn't see this subject posted before, but unless I am extremely unlucky I am sure someone must have noted this before.

When I first got my PRS600 it was plugged into the PC USB port quite often. But now that I have a queue of books on the reader waiting to be read it is now only connected when I want to copy a book on or to charge the reader.

Is it just me, or does the battery only last about 6 or 8 days before it needs charging.

I read for about an hour a day.
Do the odd dictionary lookup.
Turn about 20 or so pages before I call it a night.

The battery indicator seems to drop one notch every 2 days or so.

As the reader was supposed to be able to manage 7000 page turns, I expected my humble reading rate would last me a long time. Much longer than a week at any rate.

I suspect that if I just left the ready in standby for a week the charge would probably deplete at the same rate.

I have noted that if I actually power down the reader, then it is OK.

Kev
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...1/bookworm.gif
just_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
hsertic
hsertic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_kev View Post
Is it just me, or does the battery only last about 6 or 8 days before it needs charging.
]
I have similar experience, battery life is much worse than on my PRS-505.

Hrvoje
hsertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
I didn't see this subject posted before, but unless I am extremely unlucky I am sure someone must have noted this before.
Quite a few people have the same complaint.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Me also. There is a couple of things I dislike with the PRS-600, battery-life being one of them. To be fair, there are also some things I like...

But seriously thinking of selling it and get something else.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
just_kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Aha, thought I wouldn't be the only one.
So I'll try the charge/discharge cycles a few times and see if that changes anything.
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Glad you mentioned it, was thinking of getting a 600 without the charger, maybe I'll play it safe now.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
bobled
bobled began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
As the reader was supposed to be able to manage 7000 page turns, I expected my humble reading rate would last me a long time. Much longer than a week at any rate.
You haven't mentioned if you had any SD or Memory card(s) in the unit. I've found that with 1 of these cards in the reader my battery time was reduced to 1/2 - effectively lasting only about a week - whether I read on it or not.
Hope this helps.
Bob
bobled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
just_kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobled View Post
You haven't mentioned if you had any SD or Memory card(s) in the unit. I've found that with 1 of these cards in the reader my battery time was reduced to 1/2 - effectively lasting only about a week - whether I read on it or not.
Hope this helps.
Bob
Actually, yes I do.
I had noticed that the memory card slows the reader down. For example it takes a while to get back to the home screen etc.

I'll do some testing without the memory card in.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Have you tried it under the actual conditions that the 7000 page turns figure relates to?

That is:

Fully change the battery.
Turn the page as fast as it will go until the battery is flat.

I am sure you will find that, under those conditions, you will indeed get 7000 page turns, but it bears about as much connection to "real world" usage as the "fuel consumption" figures quoted by a car manufacturer do to real-world driving. It is purely a theoretical figure, calculated from the battery capacity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I think the fact that the 600 uses the battery for other capabilities leads to battery life decrease vs the 505 or the 300. Keep in mind highlighting, drawing, checking dictionary, zooming, etc all lead to more screen refreshes. This depletes the battery more. After a number of charging cycles, I tend to get a good 2-3 weeks before needing to charge unless I am using Highlights, Dictionary or drawing, then I am more apt to charge it a little more often.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
Dave d
Dave d began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Ive charged and discharged about five times so far and it lasts the same as the first time i.e. about a week, mostly on standby with no zooming, the occasional dictionary lookup and a book to a book and a half worth of page turning. probably about 350 to 450 pages but it ends up with probably 600 to 700 page turns. I'm a little bummed that sony quote 7000 page turns as I did trust sony as an honest manufacturer but I think their marketing department might have taken control over the engineers. Still love my 600 even with the glare and average contrast.
Dave d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #12
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Since the last charge (almost 2 weeks ago) I've deliberately used the page turn buttons instead of the touch screen for page turning and have kept touch-screen operations to a minimum.

Usually it lasts about a week give or take a few days between charges but as of tomorrow I'm on 2 weeks which is excellent. I read everyday and most days for a good 2-3 hours, sometimes more. So it appears to me that using the page-turn buttons is giving me a lot more time between charges.

The other thing I notice is that there is plenty of time between the device aying low-battery and it actually running out. It's been saying low-battery for the last 2 days but I've easily done another 5 hours reading since then and still it is working.

So very impressed with the battery life.

I don't have any memory cards inserted and never use the audio so maybe this too makes a big difference.

Not sure where the 7000 page turns comes in as I have read about 600 pages of the Count of Monte Cristo, approx 200 pgs of an Agatha Christie book and maybe 2-300 pages of a library book. So I can account for around 1000 page turns plus maybe another 200 where I often skip backwards as I forgot what I just read and then there is using the dictionary and clicking back to the menu.

Last edited by poshm; 11-25-2009 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added page turns info
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Yeah, I'm just noticing now the 600's battery life is poop compared to my 500. That's very annoying. If anything made me return it, which I probably won't, it'll be the battery life rather than any glare issue. Using no mem cards and 90% page buttons.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
susytp
susytp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I have a 2 Gb card on it with about 150 books and I read about 150 pages a day, the battery lasts les than a week...
susytp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I shut my 600 down every night, not just put it in standby mode but a full shutdown before going to sleep. My battery seems to last almost 2 weeks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote