Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
10q
10q began at the beginning.

Device: nooooone
Kindle 2 hot to touch. Sony too cool look.

I keep moving back and forth between Kindle II and the yet to be released Sony Daily Edition.

These are the only readers that come with a dictionary and I particularly like the one touch instant word reference on the Sony.
The cumbersome joystick on the Kindle is step-step-step- step-step-step- step, OK. The Wikipedia is a big bonus.

The Kindle 2 is too big for a 6" reading device. Why do we need a keyboard on a reader? Is the Kindle made for writing books too?
If Im going to carry a reader with me that big, then it better give me more reading space.

The Sony Daily Edition elegantly fits more in to less space, looks sensible, does not stand out and comes with a nice cover. But the down side is the glossy display. This is not good for e-ink, since we need a source of light to see the display. Maybe it wont be so bad.,?
Will an anti-glare screen protector help? Im not sure it will.

Here are some links to the glaring PRS-900
http://technochase.com/wp-content/up...er-closeup.jpg
http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content...k-reader-3.jpg

Still undecided.

10q
10q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10q View Post
I keep moving back and forth between Kindle II and the yet to be released Sony Daily Edition.

These are the only readers that come with a dictionary and I particularly like the one touch instant word reference on the Sony.
The PRS-600 also has a dictionary, as does the CyBook Gen3, the Pocketbook 360, and several other devices too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Here are some links to the glaring PRS-900...
From the images in the links it looks like it is from some sort of demonstration or presentation, with some pretty bright, focused lights. I see glare coming off of the person holding the reader!

I've read a lot of posts here about the 600 and it looks like it is 50/50, some people think there is too much, others don't seem to mind it at all. I think it is going to come down to a personal choice that only you can make. Can you get from a retailer like Best Buy that has a reasonable return policy? If so then I would say get it and try it for a week or so.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

The Kindle 2 is too big for a 6" reading device. Why do we need a keyboard on a reader? Is the Kindle made for writing books too?

You have to remember that aside from note taking, the Kindle has a browser. How are you gonna find what you want in Wikipedia without a keyboard. You can also use the browser to surf and download content from sites other than Amazon (or use the Calibre server), you need a keyboard for that. Plus there are a lot of people (like myself) who much prefer a physical keyboard over a virtual one.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
The keyboard of the kindle is the price you pay if you don't want the extra glare of the touchscreen. I have a prs-600 which presumably has the same screen as the daily edition (and a dictionary), and though I admit it's not as good as a no-touchscreen-e-ink screen, I find it doesn't bother me unless I directly compare. Ultimately it's up to you. Try to find a prs-600 or 900 to play with, and decide for yourself.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, 10q.

You do know the kindle wirelessly connects to Amazon, don't you? Sony's don't have wireless.. That may or may not appeal to you.

When you are connected to Amazon thru your Kindle, you can use the keyboard to search for specific authors, or books. You can use it other times to do a search, or edit your personal settings.

When you are reading a book, its a handy place to rest your thumb, because its not active then.

It really isn't "too big". It fits easily in a purse.

Also, with Amazon, you have a 30 day money back guarantee, no questions asked, just pay return shipping. You can play with it to your hearts content, download free books, see how it works for you.

Good luck with your choice, whichever one you choose,

Quote:

The cumbersome joystick on the Kindle is step-step-step- step-step-step- step, OK. The Wikipedia is a big bonus.

If Im going to carry a reader with me that big, then it better give me more reading space.

The Sony Daily Edition elegantly fits more in to less space, looks sensible, does not stand out and comes with a nice cover. But the down side is the glossy display. This is not good for e-ink, since we need a source of light to see the display. Maybe it wont be so bad.,?
Will an anti-glare screen protector help? Im not sure it will.

Here are some links to the glaring PRS-900
http://technochase.com/wp-content/up...er-closeup.jpg
http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content...k-reader-3.jpg

Still undecided.

10q
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You do know the kindle wirelessly connects to Amazon, don't you? Sony's don't have wireless.. That may or may not appeal to you.
10q was referring to the Sony Daily Edition, which does have wireless.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
apologies.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Of course, all you can do with it is spend you money at the Sony ebook store right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course, all you can do with it is spend you money at the Sony ebook store right?

BOb
Bob,

Are you sure that is the case because the Sony's all have ADE and that should support DRM Epub, and of course non-DRM epub as well, from any source, yes? No? Really, I have not paid a lot of attention to that detail so I thought I would ask.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Bob,

Are you sure that is the case because the Sony's all have ADE and that should support DRM Epub, and of course non-DRM epub as well, from any source, yes? No? Really, I have not paid a lot of attention to that detail so I thought I would ask.
I didn't mean all you can do with that reader. I mean all you can do with the 3G connection.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I didn't mean all you can do with that reader. I mean all you can do with the 3G connection.

BOb
D'oh!!! of course, I misread the comment you responding to...sorry about that..
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote