Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
zombywoof
zombywoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Will the Voyage firmware be updated to support the new "Bookerly" font?

Question in the title - Thanks!
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
zombywoof
zombywoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Actually after some googling it looks like I found the answer to my own question here:

Quote:
An Amazon spokesperson says the font and typsetting improvements will also be made available to the previous generation Kindle Paperwhite, plus the $79 Kindle and Kindle Voyage.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is over Bookerly. It is just a slightly modified Caecilia. I'm hard pressed to see much difference on my iOS Kindle app. They look nearly identical to my eyes. On the iOS app Bookerly has better spacing between words, but that is because the iOS app doesn't have Caecilia Condensed. I bet Caecilia Condensed will still have better spacing than Bookerly on actual Kindles, assuming they leave it on them.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-24-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I don't understand how so many people here are saying that Caecilia and Bookerly are almost identical. They are completely different. They even belong to different classes of typefaces.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I understand how Jack can say that.... I did a quick Google search and found this example:

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/05/2...book/bookerly/

I then copied the two images and pasted them into layers, forcing the hue/saturation of the Bookerly layer such that it looked red and then moved each word so that the words lined up (making no effort to affect spacing of the letters)... they sure look close to me.

(looks like I lost the word Those, but it's only a few pixels different as well)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecelia_vs_Bookerly.png
Views:	740
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	139610  
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I understand how Jack can say that.... I did a quick Google search and found this example:

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/05/2...book/bookerly/

I then copied the two images and pasted them into layers, forcing the hue/saturation of the Bookerly layer such that it looked red and then moved each word so that the words lined up (making no effort to affect spacing of the letters)... they sure look close to me.

(looks like I lost the word Those, but it's only a few pixels different as well)
The only difference I notice in the example is the punctuation marks.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The only difference I notice in the example is the punctuation marks.
There's a few others... a serif on the center of the lowercase w, another on the lowercase k. A slight difference in the capital T (would be more visible the other way around), a little more round on the lowercase r... but enough to be such a big deal? I agree that it looks like a modified Caecelia.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There's a few others... a serif on the center of the lowercase w, another on the lowercase k. A slight difference in the capital T (would be more visible the other way around), a little more round on the lowercase r... but enough to be such a big deal? I agree that it looks like a modified Caecelia.
Right. Fail to see how such "fine tuning" will improve my reading to the degree Amazon claims it will. Punctuation marks are quite obvious.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I received the Bookerly font update on my Voyage a couple weeks ago. Personally I don't care for it much.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I received the Bookerly font update on my Voyage a couple weeks ago. Personally I don't care for it much.
Really? What is your firmware version number? I have not received this on my voyage, and the only update available for the Voyage on the Kindle website is 5.6.2.1, which is what I already have (no Bookerly there). Are you sure it was your Voyage, and not a different device?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:

I have it on my Fire HD6, but not on my Voyage.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I think you're mistaken. The font is currently only available on the iOS Kindle App and the Kindle Fire, to the best of my knowledge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
It is on my Kindle for my IPhone but it is not yet on my Kindle for android and I have the latest version of android on my tablet.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
It is on my Kindle for my IPhone but it is not yet on my Kindle for android and I have the latest version of android on my tablet.
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it's on the iOS Kindle App and the Kindle Fire. It's not yet on the generic Android Kindle App, nor on any eInk device other than the as-yet-unreleased PW3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I was not impressed with the font on my Kindle for IOS. On my I IPhone I prefer Helvetica.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote