Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Sansa Clip Zip for Overdrive - licencing issues - HELP!!

Hi guys,
Since the Clip Zip is so beloved on this forum, I finally gave in and bought one solely for Overdrive WMA audiobooks (the audio quality suffers when transferring them to my iPods).
The problem is that no matter which book I am trying to play back, I get an error message. I transfered the books via the Overdrive software, but also tried to copy the files via Windows Explorer and WMP. the player recognizes them, but won't play them back.

I've googled the problem, but other than changing how the player connects as a USB drive, I could not find a solution. I also updated it to the most current firmware - still to no avail.

Any idea how to make it work?

Last edited by xendula; 02-22-2013 at 06:39 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
What is the error message?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The problem is that no matter which book I am trying to play back, I get an error message. I transfered the books via the Overdrive software, but also tried to copy the files via Windows Explorer and WMP. the player recognizes them, but won't play them back.
What kind of error message are you getting?

I've never had any problems getting content onto my Zip with OverDrive. I don't use Windows, so I can't help you out there. I much prefer MediaMonkey over anything else.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
On my Sansa Clip, there is a folder for audiobooks and one for music. When you download from Overdrive, i.e. wma or mp3, I believe it needs to go in the music folder. Only the Audible books download go into the audiobook folder.

Is this your problem?

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The error message is "Please obtain license by transferring this title to device using audioboo"
I will try putting them in the music folder tomorrow...
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
On my Sansa Clip, there is a folder for audiobooks and one for music. When you download from Overdrive, i.e. wma or mp3, I believe it needs to go in the music folder. Only the Audible books download go into the audiobook folder.
Quote:
The error message is "Please obtain license by transferring this title to device using audioboo"
I will try putting them in the music folder tomorrow...
All OverDrive audiobooks (MP3, WMA) are automatically loaded into the "music" folder. Audiobooks loaded to a mSD card go into the "card --> Albums" folder.

All Audible audiobooks are automatically loaded into the "books --> Audiobooks" folder. Audiobooks loaded to a mSD card go into the "card --> books --> Audiobooks" folder.

I don't even know if it's possible to force them into other folders.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-23-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
All OverDrive audiobooks (MP3, WMA) are automatically loaded into the "music" folder. Audiobooks loaded to a mSD card go into the "card --> Albums" folder.

All Audible audiobooks are automatically loaded into the "books --> Audiobooks" folder. Audiobooks loaded to a mSD card go into the "card --> books --> Audiobooks" folder.

I try to not do any automatic loading. I always to drag and drop. That's why I didn't know where the books would go automatically. I don't trust the computer to do what I want, so I do it myself. As far as audio DRM's, I can't use them since I drag and drop. So I only get mp3 audios. It does limit my audio books and cost more sometimes, but I prefer to do it that way.
AJ
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I try to not do any automatic loading. I always to drag and drop. That's why I didn't know where the books would go automatically. I don't trust the computer to do what I want, so I do it myself. As far as audio DRM's, I can't use them since I drag and drop. So I only get mp3 audios. It does limit my audio books and cost more sometimes, but I prefer to do it that way.
AJ
The only reason why I bought the clip zip is for DRMed library audio books, since I prefer my iPods for MP3s, and listen to MP3 audiobooks through the audible and Overdrive app, which is awesome.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
The only reason why I bought the clip zip is for DRMed library audio books, since I prefer my iPods for MP3s, and listen to MP3 audiobooks through the audible and Overdrive app, which is awesome.

The few times I did get wma audio books it was through Overdrive and using the overdrive "Transfer" function the DRM'd wma went to my "mp3" players just fine. I use the Overdrive on my Windows Vista (old computer) and my new Win7 versions.

If you are using apps on phones and/or tablets, I do not have any experience with those, sorry.

AJ

edit: I just dug out my Sansa Clip. It has a selection for USB mode: MTP or MSC. I remember when I first was using it, I was told one select was for DRM'd and one was for just using it as a drive. Sorry I don't remember which. My selection on that screen is AutoSelect, so maybe it doesn't matter on yours.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 02-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hi guys,
Since the Clip Zip is so beloved on this forum, I finally gave in and bought one solely for Overdrive WMA audiobooks (the audio quality suffers when transferring them to my iPods).

I've googled the problem, but other than changing how the player connects as a USB drive, I could not find a solution. I also updated it to the most current firmware - still to no avail.

Any idea how to make it work?
You must activate the clip using Overdrive Media Console then transfer. You must allow ODMC access to internet during the transfer. Your firewall could be blocking the license activation.

Do not use window media player it will mess things up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

It is, just change the path before you transfer. I put all mine in Audiobooks.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
I transferred audiobooks today and like Blossom I too transfer them into the audiobooks folder on my clip zip. I actually learned how to do this on one of Blossom's previous posts last year.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It is, just change the path before you transfer. I put all mine in Audiobooks.
Thanks; I didn't know you could do that.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Do not use window media player it will mess things up.
I avoid WMP too, except I had to use it the other day in order to download an OverDrive audiobook. I got hit with "device clock not set" error and couldn't download my audiobook. A manual reset didn't work, so I did a search. A post in the SanDisk Forum said to download a non-DRM file from WMP to my Zip while online. That reset the clock and I was then able to download my audiobook from OverDrive.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

Hi all,
I managed to transfer and open the files. I guess the problem was that I had transfered the files to the card through my laptop's built-in microSD card reader and via Overdrive, not by connecting the device through USB. Blossom, I thought you mentioned that this can be done, or did I misunderstand?

Quote:
You must activate the clip using Overdrive Media Console then transfer. You must allow ODMC access to internet during the transfer. Your firewall could be blocking the license activation.
How do I do this? I could not find anything in the Overdrive settings that would allow me to activate my device, and Google didn't help much.

Last edited by xendula; 02-23-2013 at 09:12 PM.