Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Send To Device defaulting to azw3 on Kindle Fire

Apologies if this topic has already been dealt with in this forum - a detailed search has not thrown up any answers so far.

I am trying to get calibre to send documents to my KFHD in epub format, as that is the preferred option for Moon+ Reader Pro, which I like better than the supplied Kindle Reader. My problem is that I convert the azw3 file I have purchased and downloaded via USB from Amazon into epub format just fine, but when I try to "Send to device", it creates another azw3 version of the book, and sends this to my Kindle. Moon Reader can't open azw3 files.

I have tried the following:

- deleted the azw3 version of the book from calibre and my device. It still creates a new azw3 and sends this to the Kindle when I try to re-send
- looked through all the settings in the Preferences settings, have set my default output format to epub
- have added the epub format to the Preferences/Plug-ins/Device Interface plug-ins/Kindle Fire plug-in
- tried to "Send specific format to Main Memory", but the only format options it gives me are azw3, mobi and PDF. I can't find where to modify these defaults to add epub.

Any suggestions greatfully received. I can work around, by manually saving the epub to my Kindle via Windows Explorer, but it just adds more complication to the process, and I would prefer to do this via calibre if possible.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Change the order, remove a tick in:

customize the device interface plugin (on the menu when connected or in Preferences: Plugins:device Interface) for your device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Change the order, remove a tick in:

customize the device interface plugin (on the menu when connected or in Preferences: Plugins:device Interface) for your device
Thanks, but as I said I've already tried this. To be specific, I have ticked epub, moved it to the top of the list, and unticked azw and azw3. Still converts to azw3.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try disabling other K plugins
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!

OK, I've got it to work now. There seem to be two plug-ins to configure - the one via Preferences/Plug-ins was what I changed originally, and it didn't work. The one via the "Device/Configure this device" pull-down menu did. Thanks for your help .
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I thought that was just an alternate way to get there

This leads me to believe that some othe PI is being used. What does the title bar say when being configured (the way that worked)?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For newer kindle fires the proper plugin is the MTP_DEVICE plugin, and mtp devices are only configurable while connected.

Indeed, in general when configuring devices alwas use the right click on device and configure route, the older configure via Preferences->Plugins can be confusing, since it isn't clear which plugin to use.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I thought that was just an alternate way to get there

This leads me to believe that some othe PI is being used. What does the title bar say when being configured (the way that worked)?
Kovid has confirmed it (thanks for that), but to answer your question, the way that worked says "Configure Kindle", and the plug-in method, which didn't, says "Customise Kindle Fire Device Interface".