Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
frdesgranges
frdesgranges began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Please charge your ereader!

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck! My wife didn't use her kobo for a while. I understood that the battery was dead and recharged it on the computer. But even after hours of charging, I can't start it.
What can I do?

Thanks.
Franck
frdesgranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Try recharging it overnight using a wall charger (if you don't have one specifically for your Kobo most mobile phone chargers are micro usb and will work). They don't charge as well plugged into a computer and if the battery has gone completely flat you sometimes need to leave it charging for a long time before it'll come back to life.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'd do what was suggested in the post above.

I do recall reading some posts elsewhere on the net where someone had let their early model Kobo sit around for a while without charge, couldn't get it to charge via USB, and eventually opened the case, disconnected the battery and very briefly jumped it direct to the charger they had. VERY dangerous, and they were lucky. Obviously not something you want to do unless you know how to observe polarity and are very short in duration. Apparently the battery had dropped below the voltage that the internal circuit in the battery would allow charging at or the Kobo had the circuit and they bypassed it by briefly connecting to the battery directly. Last resort. Frankly, I wouldn't try something like that unless I removed the battery, put it somewhere safe (think under a lexan box), wore my shop glasses and was very short on pulsing a little power into the battery just until the voltage was near nominal for the battery -just enough to get the charger circuit to allow charging again instead of thinking the cell had gone bad. Very iffy.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Another quick question along these lines - is it dangerous to leave your Touch plugged in and charging? I'm giving one to my son, and if it's a bad idea to leave it plugged in, I might keep the cable and supervise charging (it only takes a few minutes in normal circumstances and doesn't need doing often, so this won't be a problem).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are no problems with leaving it plugged in. Once the battery is fully charged, the device stops charging it. If it is plugged into a computer, the status will change to "Plugged in and Charged". If you are using a charger, I think the battery icon gets a tick inside it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The Kobos, like most modern Lithium cell powered devices, charge just fine by themselves. The caution I was advising had nothing to do with the normal charging process and everything to do with a practice that should never be attempted by anyone not fully conversant in what they were doing.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
One could also try doing a physical reset on the device after the charging (and it not being responsive) to see if this jump starts it.

Also I was surprised to read somewhere that not all USB ports on a pc may NOT have the same specs. Especially with the advent of the new USB-3 some ports may offer higher transfer speeds as well as current load.

All these years I thought that all USB-2 ports on a PC/Lap-top were the same.

With regards to a Laptop with USB's on either side of it, one side may provide faster transfer and higher power or even remain live with re: to power when the LT is powered off but still plugged into the wall outlet.

Last edited by jlg432; 12-15-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Removed extraneous words and added a missing key word.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
JCMS
JCMS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
One could also try doing a physical reset on the device after the charging (and it not being responsive) to see if this jump starts it.

Also I was surprised to read somewhere that not all USB ports on a pc may NOT have the same specs. Especially with the advent of the new USB-3 some ports may offer higher transfer speeds as well as current load.

All these years I thought that all USB-2 ports on a PC/Lap-top were the same.

With regards to a Laptop with USB's on either side of it, one side may provide faster transfer and higher power or even remain live with re: to power when the LT is powered off but still plugged into the wall outlet.
All USB2.0 ports will output at least 500mA, but some may go up to 2.0A.
JCMS is offline   Reply With Quote