Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
ezyang
ezyang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Convert links into "Send to Kindle/etc" actions

Suppose that you are using Calibre's news recipes to send articles to your Kindle. Now, most blog posts have lots of links in them, and if you click on them, you will open up your browser (if you have one) and the reading experience will generally not be very pleasant. What we would actually like is for the links to cause some external party to convert the destination of the link into a nice ebook format which then gets sent to my device. E.g. "Send to Kindle"ify all my links.

I'm wondering: has anyone already created this? (For example, converting links to use Readability to Send To Kindle)
ezyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to convert links to any other form it's trivial, just implement postprocess_html in the recipe and overwrite the links however you like.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
ezyang

Yeah, it seems the actual hard bit is figuring out how to make a link that actually "sends to Kindle." Readability's API seems pretty opaque here...
ezyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch
If you have an account in sendtoreader.com, you can achieve that by prepending "s2r.me/" to the URL, that is, changing "http://whatever" by "http://s2r.me/whatever". Note that this will open the browser anyway, as you need to contact sendtoreader to pass it the link, but you should have it converted to ebook next time you sync content.

http://sendtoreader.com/blog/tips/s2...dle-to-kindle/
atordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
ezyang

OK, at the moment, I have this horrible hack:

Code:
    def postprocess_html(self, soup, first_fetch):
        for e in soup.findAll('a'):
            e['href'] = "http://s2r.me/" + e['href']
        return soup