Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #256
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
@Booxtor: if there is a way to get back the original firmware, please let us know. The new version 1.7 has too many problems
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #257
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I've been searching the web for the last 30 minutes, but there doesn't seem to be any downloadable copy of the original v1.6 firmware (20111117).
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #258
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
And another shameless crossposting:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163360

Short version: I wrote up my comparison on http://baach.de/Members/jhb/-compari...-onyx-boox-m92
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #259
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
Hi guys,
I have some problems with reading some PDF files, I thought is an issue of fonts, I put a folder in SD with name (fonts) but its seems the fonts have not been insulted?
any suggestion ?
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #260
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.a.k View Post
Hi guys,
I have some problems with reading some PDF files, I thought is an issue of fonts, I put a folder in SD with name (fonts) but its seems the fonts have not been insulted?
any suggestion ?
I put my fonts into the folder 'fonts' on the internal storage, works for me - but of course, only for epubs. You can't change the fonts on a pdf (due to the nature of pdfs).
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #261
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
It solves some bugs of very first (delivered) firmware (like missing Websites in the Website directory)
Mmmh, I installed the new firmware yesterday, and _after_ that the 2 links in the website directory vanished - now I have not a single one. Does anyone know where the website directory is stored on the device?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #262
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaach View Post
Mmmh, I installed the new firmware yesterday, and _after_ that the 2 links in the website directory vanished - now I have not a single one. Does anyone know where the website directory is stored on the device?
Hi,

does reinstal help? I don't have any device here to try it out (colpletely out of stock)

On Monday I will place here the Link to the previous version of Firmware, so you can restore the old version..

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-01-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #263
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragasol View Post
Hi again...

I'm so stupid... My M92 stylus felt down on the floor today, and doesn't work.

Please, does somebody know where to buy a new one?

Thank you:

RAFA
Write a contact message on the website (your order #), I will replace your stylus... We have ordered some styluses as replacements..
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #264
Thierry.C
Connoisseur
Thierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura about

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaach View Post
Many thanks for this very nice comparison jbaach.
You mention that you are using a professional font on the 903; which is it?
Did you compare text rendering on 903 and M92 with this same font? (or, at least, the same font)

Thanks again,
Thierry
Thierry.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #265
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi jbaach

Thanks for the great review.
Form what I read I understand you have two ereaders and you read lots of PDFs/technical papers. Now that you have these two are there any features that you wish they had?

You mentioned that M92 is more open source. Could you please shed more light on that? I would like to know what kernel and what distribution of Linux is that. Also if there is a package repository for application that could be ported I would like to hear about that.
What are the way to port something ? Do you need an emulator, and IDE and so on?

I guess the main question is if there is an alternative among these packages that would replace or supplement the PDF reading function of this ereader.

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #266
Frans_4242
Frans_4242 began at the beginning.

Wifi

Hi everybody. I've bought the Boox m92 through ereader-store.de on the evening of the 27th of December 2011 and it arrived on the 30th of December at my home address in the Netherlands. Great job!

I have a simple issue with the Wifi connection: I mistyped my password to connect with my router and now can't find a way to correct this. I found the manual on this forum (thanks Booxtor!) but couldn't find a solution.

When getting to the screen all wireless networks are displayed it will show my network as connecting ... but obviously it will never succeed with the wrong password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Frans
Frans_4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #267
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans_4242 View Post
Hi everybody. I've bought the Boox m92 through ereader-store.de on the evening of the 27th of December 2011 and it arrived on the 30th of December at my home address in the Netherlands. Great job!

I have a simple issue with the Wifi connection: I mistyped my password to connect with my router and now can't find a way to correct this. I found the manual on this forum (thanks Booxtor!) but couldn't find a solution.

When getting to the screen all wireless networks are displayed it will show my network as connecting ... but obviously it will never succeed with the wrong password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Frans
Currently I don't have any device here to test other soultion or settings but I would suggest you to try folowing steps:
Change the SSID of the router, try ot connect the M92 and than change the SSID back to the old name.. I hope the M92 will ask you every time for new connection and new setting..
Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #268
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry.C View Post
Many thanks for this very nice comparison jbaach.
You mention that you are using a professional font on the 903; which is it?
Did you compare text rendering on 903 and M92 with this same font? (or, at least, the same font)]
Its a non-public custom developed font that I am not able to pass on. .

On the rendering of the same font - http://baach.de/Members/jhb/greys_fontin.jpg has the same font in different levels of grey, and at the bottom you find another font and the test-pdf.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #269
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi,

does reinstal help? I don't have any device here to try it out (colpletely out of stock)

On Monday I will place here the Link to the previous version of Firmware, so you can restore the old version..
I will try later on or so with the reinstall. And thanks in advance for the firmware link :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Form what I read I understand you have two ereaders and you read lots of PDFs/technical papers. Now that you have these two are there any features that you wish they had?
That is a good question indeed - maybe I will my thoughts together on some form of requirements page. I guess its less new features that are missing - the good ones are just spread on two devices, and should be combined into one. E.g. the new zoom functionality of the m92 is great, and so is the listing of annotations on the 903. I really would like to have both. And so on and so on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
You mentioned that M92 is more open source. Could you please shed more light on that? I would like to know what kernel and what distribution of Linux is that. Also if there is a package repository for application that could be ported I would like to hear about that.
What are the way to port something ? Do you need an emulator, and IDE and so on?

I guess the main question is if there is an alternative among these packages that would replace or supplement the PDF reading function of this ereader.
Further above in the thread lunohod answered the question about open sourceness - I am following his answer there.

On kernel etc. I am probably the wrong person to ask. I am just playing around here. Having said that, I used lonetechs qemu image to compile my python for 903/m92. It seems that the binaries run easily on both. "Of course" this is only for command line scripts - from what I understand the screen drivers are incompatible.

Hence I thought about maybe building (or porting) a web based pdfviewer. The idea is to have a local python based webserver that parses the pdf, generates an image and serves that out to the browser. One could probably add little functions like zoom and embolden. But I don't see an easy way for annotations (I would guess that the pan by pen on the m92 would interfere with scribbling).

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #270
Frans_4242
Frans_4242 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Currently I don't have any device here to test other soultion or settings but I would suggest you to try folowing steps:
Change the SSID of the router, try ot connect the M92 and than change the SSID back to the old name.. I hope the M92 will ask you every time for new connection and new setting..
Hi Booxtor, thanks for the suggestion. I tried but initially it didn't do the trick.

A slight variation on this helped: if you select the tool indicator at the top of the screen an empty settings screens pops up at the bottom of the screen. I filled in all the fields (took quite some typing due to a rather long SSID) and selected the proper settings for authentication. And guess what: it is working fine now.

So probably only the very first time a wireless network is selected the SSID and other settings are filled in automatically (except for the password). If you want to change the settings afterwards you apparantly must select that network, press the toolindicator at the top of the screen and fill out all fields (SSID, Authentication etc) manually.

Thanks for you quick reply!
Frans_4242 is offline   Reply With Quote