Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #466
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Ooooh. That would interest me. Have you listened to or read Before the Dawn, an engaging non-fiction about genetics and human history? I loved that one.
No, I haven't read it (yet). Actually, it's been on my TBR (as an ebook) for some time now. I think this was one of the very first books I ever grabbed during one of those Amazon sales after getting my Kindle. I haven't read a lot of non-fiction during the last two years, but I'd like to get back into the habit. Thanks for the thumbs-up on that one.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #467
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I am listening to this, and it's great. I'm really enjoying the story, and the narrator is one of the best I've ever listened to:

I have read all her books and loved them all. I think this one was her first. Haven't had any audiobooks of them as yet. Who is the narrator?
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #468
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I have read all her books and loved them all. I think this one was her first. Haven't had any audiobooks of them as yet. Who is the narrator?
Susan Jameson

If you click on the image, it will send you to the Audible page where you can hear a sample of the narration.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #469
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
@pidgeon: thank you, will do that now. I know her as an actress, she's very good.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #470
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just got the Complete Enchanter by Pratt and De Camp on audible. One of my favorite books and the very first ebook that I ever bought (originally on my palm pilot from I think Peanut Press. They, of course, went belly up and abandoned the format, leaving me with a book I couldn't read, which convinced me to stick with only buying books in formats that were amiable to format shifting. As far as I know, the book is no longer available in ebook format). I've moved it to the top of my reading list, so it's next up after the book that I'm currently listening to (Patricia Brigg's Hunting Ground).

Just finished the 6th book of Zelazny's Amber series, i.e. the first book in the Merlin Cycle. Wil Wheaton reads the Merlin Cycle and I think he is very good. For some reason, I never read the last 5 books of the Amber series. I read the first 5, the last one coming out in 1978, but the 6th book didn't come out until 1985 and was his first book in 3 years. I did enjoy the book, recommend it and have already bought book 7 and stuck it in my listening queue. To an extent, I think that Zelazny was still using the style of writing that was popular in the 60's and 70's but people were moving away from by the 80's. Michael Moorcock wrote in a somewhat similar style.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #471
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I am taking a break from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (enjoyed the first one a lot) and I am now listening to The Magicians by Lev Grossman. At the moment, I am only about two hours in but I am enjoying it so far.
Finished it about a week ago. All in all, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It's not bad, but I couldn't really connect with the characters and the story turned out to be some kind of "twisted Narnia tale". Oh well. At least, I know now that I don't have to get the second volume.

This week, I listened to The Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell. I bought this on a whim after reading a review of it. It's a time travel story about a guy who celebrates his birthday every year with other "iterations" of himself. On his 39th birthday, there is the body of his 40 year old self present. Too bad for him...

This was rather enjoyable. I like time travel stories a lot. The book was read by Mauro Hantman, who was completely new to me but was really good.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #472
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished Greg Bear's Eternity (sequel to Eon) and enjoyed it, though perhaps not quite as much as the first.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #473
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I'm listening to Dune read by Scott Brick, Orlagh Cassidy, Euan Morton, Simon Vance and cast. This audio recording is so good that I'm sure that this recording could be played in movie theaters with the text of Dune scrolling on the screen and it would make money.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #474
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm listening to the 32-hour Anthony Trollope novel The Way We Live Now read by Timothy West (Mr Prunella Scales), which he's totally acing!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #475
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm listening to the 32-hour Anthony Trollope novel The Way We Live Now read by Timothy West (Mr Prunella Scales), which he's totally acing!
That would be right up my alley. I adored the TV series.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #476
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished Gypsies by Robert Charles Wilson. It's a very character-driven book, and his main characters are people you like and identify with. This was a fairly quiet novel that I liked very much.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #477
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
I just finished Gypsies by Robert Charles Wilson. It's a very character-driven book, and his main characters are people you like and identify with. This was a fairly quiet novel that I liked very much.
That sounds really good. I had never heard of that book, but I enjoyed A Bridge of Years by Robert Charles Wilson a lot. It was read by Jonathan Davis, who is one of my favorite narrators.

I am currently in the middle of Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (in my bedroom) which is as good as I remember from reading it a couple of years ago.

In the living room, I am listening to Passage by Connie Willis. Even more than her other stuff, this is a love or hate book. I have read it years ago and always wanted to reread it but never did. I still like it a lot so far.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #478
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Listening to Stardancer by Spider and Jeanne Robinson. An old classic that is as compelling this time as the first. And very well read by Spider Robinson.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #479
Katekane
Katekane began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Radar
I am listening to Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro. I read the books many times and listened to the audiobook many times but the narrator voice always haunted me. So basically I can say I'm addicted to this audiobook right now. I can not get rid of it, and I don't want too.
Katekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #480
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katekane View Post
I am listening to Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro. I read the books many times and listened to the audiobook many times but the narrator voice always haunted me. So basically I can say I'm addicted to this audiobook right now. I can not get rid of it, and I don't want too.
I've read the book some time ago and really liked it. Who narrates it?

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations