Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #1681
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I might have tricked myself into more spending.

A few weeks ago, I reported to HarperCollins that some of their books were missing from Amazon, and then I felt obliged to buy one of them when they put them all back up. Now, this weekend, I reported some lower prices to Amazon. They seem to have responded today, and dropped the prices on both books. I now feel that I ought to repay them by buying at least one, although they haven't actually matched Google's prices. I do want both books, but I don't really need them just yet. The only reason I didn't just buy them from Google is that I don't have an account with them.

I will resist, for now. (But what if they go back up?)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #1682
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I might have tricked myself into more spending.

A few weeks ago, I reported to HarperCollins that some of their books were missing from Amazon, and then I felt obliged to buy one of them when they put them all back up. Now, this weekend, I reported some lower prices to Amazon. They seem to have responded today, and dropped the prices on both books. I now feel that I ought to repay them by buying at least one, although they haven't actually matched Google's prices. I do want both books, but I don't really need them just yet. The only reason I didn't just buy them from Google is that I don't have an account with them.

I will resist, for now. (But what if they go back up?)

They seem to listen to you. Tell them not to raise the price too soon.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #1683
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm saving up for purchasing the Georgette Heyer books I do not have. I hope that they do a sale again this year.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #1684
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I'm saving up for purchasing the Georgette Heyer books I do not have. I hope that they do a sale again this year.
There are a few Heyer books on the list for the 90% off code at Kobo at the moment.

/not helpful for this thread
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #1685
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
There are a few Heyer books on the list for the 90% off code at Kobo at the moment.

/not helpful for this thread

Thanks, Synamon!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #1686
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
hee hee bought 2 in 24 hours one from the code list fryom Synamon and another from 99p list on the site. so £1.25 for two books yay (oh and about 30 new freebies but they dont count)
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #1687
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I recently wrote a 2-star review of a book with a good story, good characters, and horrible writing. "I bade him bring a chair to the end of the booth." Then I checked the details on my "purchase". The book was free. It still cost me a few hours reading.

I celebrated by buying a couple of books by Walter Mosley that actually cost money.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #1688
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I've been spending the last year or so trying to curb my tree-corpse addiction, simply due to lack of space. I started out fairly sensibly, deciding not to buy new books just because they looked interesting; they had to be either part of a series I was already reading or from an established author that I know I like.

I've pretty much kept to those rules with physical books, but at the same time I've been switching most of my hardback/trade purchases over to ebooks as the prices come down to make that reasonable. (Yes, $12.99 for an ebook is steep, but not when compared to the HC's $15 street price or $26 list price.) I've been a bit more experimental with my ebook purchases, due to the low-price and no-space factors. In fact, I bought two dozen ebooks to replace the unwieldy trade paperbacks, which then went to the used-book shop to help offset the conversion cost. Another six-book physical series magically turned into a single-ebook omnibus in the same way, more than paying for the conversion.

The biggest thing keeping me from going full-on electronic is the mass-market pricing, which makes NO SENSE. Eight bucks for an ebook, or the same eight bucks (maybe less) for a physical book that I could trade in later? Give me the p-book every time. On the other hand, if I saw that same ebook for about $6 or lower, I'd be all over that format.

At least Amazon's "helping" with the discontinuation of their 4-for-3 paperback deal, which is how I've gotten most of my MMPBs for several years. That one change has really made me start delaying purchases of new MMPBs and/or looking elsewhere for them. I mean, if I'm paying full retail, I might as well support a local bookstore, right?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #1689
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I agree that having the ebook price the same as the MMPB price is ridiculous. Some publishers understand this, some don't.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #1690
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I finally figured out how to use Amazon's Whispersync (buy a book, get the audiobook at a reduced price).

This is probably not a good thing for my book budget...I bought two books yesterday and have a few more lined up.

I should have just left well-enough alone!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #1691
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I should have just left well-enough alone!
Yes, but where's the fun in that?
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #1692
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Well, I did it. I had held strong up until yesterday at 2 books for the year so far. But, the Amazon daily deal got me. All 4 books (3 released, 1 pre-order) in the Hangman's Daughter series were 99 cents. I had 5 random cents left over from a GC, so one was only 94 cents. Bad news, 4 more books on my TBR. Good news, with them being so cheap, my average per book for the year is only $1.48. and I have spent less than $9 total ($8.89). I can live with that.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #1693
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Well, I did it. I had held strong up until yesterday at 2 books for the year so far. But, the Amazon daily deal got me. All 4 books (3 released, 1 pre-order) in the Hangman's Daughter series were 99 cents. I had 5 random cents left over from a GC, so one was only 94 cents. Bad news, 4 more books on my TBR. Good news, with them being so cheap, my average per book for the year is only $1.48. and I have spent less than $9 total ($8.89). I can live with that.
It's for offers like that, that we resist buying ebooks at other times.

I have bought four books this year that I should probably have passed on (Life of Pi, 1227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off, Thieves of the Hundred Gates and The Masks of Time) and I added one freebie to my TBR that I shouldn't have done (Starborne).

Unfortunately, even without those, my bought books this year are 42, with an average cost almost exactly $3.

On the plus side, I have read 50 books, and discarded one unread from my TBR, for a net reduction this year so far of four books.

I could have doubled my reduction if I'd just been a bit more resolute!

I shall do better in the rest of the year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #1694
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well, of the two books I thought I might have to buy from Amazon, earlier in this thread, the prices dropped again, and one of them became cheaper than at Google Play (although I haven't checked back there, maybe there was a price war?) and I bought it.

I don't think I'm very likely to make a net gain on my TBR this year. I have been reading a lot of pbooks lately, though, so the value of the books I have read is way more than I have spent. I'll take that as some consolation.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #1695
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am not doing so good with my e-book purchases for the last 5 weeks. Why? I have had 7 (!) autobuy authors with new e-books. And add to that books that have been on my wishlist for a long time is discounted to 2.99 or less.....
And then there was the Allromance 50% off sale on Valentines day....

But I don't regret anything. I would have bought them anyway, which means I am saving money in the long run. But I think I'll turn off my CC card now.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote