Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
mike_smith
mike_smith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Jailbreak 101

Hi,

I've done a search on this forum for an answer to my question but doesn't seem to be any concrete info....so sorry if I missed it being asked else where

So I decided to purchase and Amazon Kindle 3 (3G + Wifi) a few hours ago and it should be here next week some time. I bought it just to read some pdf's I have but after reading and watching various videos I see it's possible to jailbreak the Kindle 3.

1. So as a brand new Kindle 3 (3G + Wifi), what stock firmware would be on it?

2. If 3.1 would the jailbreak by yifanlu be the one for me?

3. What interesting things are possible with the jailbreak besides Font and ScreenSavers?

4. Do you need to Jailbreak to remove DRM from certain books?

5. For DRM removal would I use the latest version of skindle-06?

Sorry if these simple/stupid questions offend you. Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it

mike_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Yes, the YifanLu jailbreak would be the one to use. The screensaver hack is still the older or original (although updated) in that thread. You need to look over the developer subforum for other hacks.

You do not need jailbreak to strip drm - that is entirely processed on a computer. For drm removal we are not permitted to discuss details that could get this board in trouble. We may mention: Google Apprentice Alf's blog and then look for tools. Which I just noticed is up to version 3.7 (Hey, everybody - 3.7)

Oh, the firmware version will probably depend on what stock/inventory yours is shipped from. Some folks have gotten 3.1 on their new units from what I read.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
mike_smith
mike_smith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Cool thank you very much for answering all my questions. I now have a better understanding
mike_smith is offline   Reply With Quote