Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #76
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'd have said kids, but lawsuit is better
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #77
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'd have said kids, but lawsuit is better
Kids was my first thought too!
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #78
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
A lawsuit?
Take a bow!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #79
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Take a bow!
Mange tak

And so, a puzzle:
A Buddhist monk begins walking up a mountain at dawn one day. He reaches the summit at sunset, meditates at the top for several days until one dawn when he begins to walk back to the foot of the mountain, which he reaches at sunset. Making no assumptions about his starting or stopping or about his pace during the trips, can you prove that there is a place on the path which he occupies at precisely the same time of day on the two separate journeys.

The solution to this is a very famous example of conceptual blending...if that helps.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #80
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Did he use the same track?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #81
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
does this involve math?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #82
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Mange tak

And so, a puzzle:
A Buddhist monk begins walking up a mountain at dawn one day. He reaches the summit at sunset, meditates at the top for several days until one dawn when he begins to walk back to the foot of the mountain, which he reaches at sunset. Making no assumptions about his starting or stopping or about his pace during the trips, can you prove that there is a place on the path which he occupies at precisely the same time of day on the two separate journeys.

The solution to this is a very famous example of conceptual blending...if that helps.
I guess the top doesn't count? Are there breadcrumbs involved in this?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #83
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
He is at the start of the path at sunrise each day. Also, he is at the end of the path at sunset each day.

Last edited by Javed; 12-11-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: changed from his path to the path, i hope the monk had his sunglasses with him...that Sun can be bright!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #84
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sounds good, but TGS said "the path" not 'his path'

I wonder if it makes a difference.

Javed you may be correct!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #85
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
sounds good, but TGS said "the path" not 'his path'

I wonder if it makes a difference.

Javed you may be correct!
Maybe I should edit that.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #86
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did he use the same track?
Yes

Quote:
does this involve math?
No

Quote:
I guess the top doesn't count?
No

Quote:
Are there breadcrumbs involved in this?
No breadcrumbs are necessary!

Quote:
He is at the start of the path at sunrise each day. Also, he is at the end of the path at sunset each day.
Start point and end point don't counts as "on the path" I'm afraid.

Huge hint
Spoiler:
Imagine that instead of one monk doing the journey on different days there are two monks who do the journey on the same day, one starting at the top and one starting at the bottom.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #87
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
can you prove that there is a place on the path which he occupies at precisely the same time of day on the two separate journeys.
Nope, I can't, and too many shots last night isn't helping.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #88
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

The hint only puts me back where I can imagine a crossing point, but prove it! ???

hmmmmmm I wonder if google will help?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #89
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
The hint only puts me back where I can imagine a crossing point, but prove it! ???

hmmmmmm I wonder if google will help?
I think you are on the right track with this...there is not enough information to prove it other than by demonstration...diagrammatic thinking...
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #90
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

If there is only one track, and the monk uses it both ways, then there has to be a point along that track where the two (one imaginary) monks would pass. If speed(same uphill as down) rest stops etc were not an option, then the point has to exist at the middle point, but how to prove it

Would it be at midday? It seems to take all the daylight hours to complete the journey. We could imagine two suns rising, travelling, and setting. At what point would they pass?

Methinks the time has come for TGS to post a full and rational explanation.

please!