Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
My Galaxy Note I is not a big phone; it is a very compact rereader with lots of handy extra's.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #32
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Also a big fan of the Galaxy Note. I would never go back to a smaller phone. Even the Galaxy IIIs feels small by comparison. I make a call a month maybe.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #33
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Also a big fan of the Galaxy Note. I would never go back to a smaller phone. Even the Galaxy IIIs feels small by comparison. I make a call a month maybe.
My next one will be a Note. I love my SIII, but I could make use of a bigger screen. I never thought I would get used to such a big screen on the SIII coming from a Blackberry Curve, but it's been amazing having the extra space when viewing web pages and looking up maps.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
How do you all like your galaxy notes for basic phone tasks like making a call or texting? I live in a different state from my mom and use my phone to stay in touch with her. Are they comfortable to use for long phone conversations (15-45 mins)? I saw the galaxy note 2 when I decided to upgrade a couple of months ago and it looked too big. I thought it would be uncomfortable to use for phone calls and also kinda big for my purse. I carry current galaxy s2 in cell phone slot of my purse. This is great because it gives my phone even more protection. I don't think the galaxy note could fit into that slot.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #35
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
How do you all like your galaxy notes for basic phone tasks like making a call or texting? I live in a different state from my mom and use my phone to stay in touch with her. Are they comfortable to use for long phone conversations (15-45 mins)?
I find no phone comfortable for conversations like that. Bluetooth is your friend.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I find no phone comfortable for conversations like that. Bluetooth is your friend.
I hate having things in my ears. So no Bluetooth. All the phones I've had so fat have been comfortable in that regard. Still, anyone have any thoughts about phone conversations on the note.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #37
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
How do you all like your galaxy notes for basic phone tasks like making a call or texting? I live in a different state from my mom and use my phone to stay in touch with her. Are they comfortable to use for long phone conversations (15-45 mins)? I saw the galaxy note 2 when I decided to upgrade a couple of months ago and it looked too big. I thought it would be uncomfortable to use for phone calls and also kinda big for my purse. I carry current galaxy s2 in cell phone slot of my purse. This is great because it gives my phone even more protection. I don't think the galaxy note could fit into that slot.
The S3 is a little smaller. I wouldn't want to hold anything for 45 minutes. I prefer a speakerphone and the S3 has one.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #38
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I spent considerable time looking at a Note. I can understand the draw, I just can't see it being for me. 4.25-4.5" is my butter zone.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #39
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I'm in the middle of evaluating my next 'phone'. I'm leaning towards a non-smart flip phone but I'd need a tablet for reading & browsing plus (probably) a mobile hotspot for Internet. Downsides are 3 devices + 2 cell accounts, one of which I'd only use while traveling. Alternative is a smartphone that will work as a mobile hotspot-then I need to decide whether to get a large phone & forgo the tablet or get a small phone & also carry a tablet for reading. Carrying the devices isn't a big issue as I'd use a 'man-purse' aka briefcase. Carrying the extra chargers while traveling is a bigger issue-sometimes it's hard to find even one unused outlet in a hotel room. (Bathroom is the best bet. They usually have an outlet for an electric shaver but setting by a sink isn't where I'd prefer to leave my phone.)

Also, if I'm going to be typing then I prefer an actual keyboard. I think the onscreen keyboards have done as much to degenerate spelling as texting abbreviations have. I find I need to make an average of 5 presses for every 3 characters to get it right. (I.e. at least one 'character' is wrong so I have to press again to back up then press another extra time to get the right one.)

Last edited by calvin-c; 03-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #40
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I'm in the middle of evaluating my next 'phone'. I'm leaning towards a non-smart flip phone but I'd need a tablet for reading & browsing plus (probably) a mobile hotspot for Internet. Downsides are 3 devices + 2 cell accounts, one of which I'd only use while traveling. Alternative is a smartphone that will work as a mobile hotspot-then I need to decide whether to get a large phone & forgo the tablet or get a small phone & also carry a tablet for reading. Carrying the devices isn't a big issue as I'd use a 'man-purse' aka briefcase. Carrying the extra chargers while traveling is a bigger issue-sometimes it's hard to find even one unused outlet in a hotel room. (Bathroom is the best bet. They usually have an outlet for an electric shaver but setting by a sink isn't where I'd prefer to leave my phone.)
If 5.5" is large enough, a Note II would be all three; Android phones can be configured as hotspots (builtin capability, no hacks/rooting/app needed), assuming your carrier allows it.

If it's not, a WiFi-only tablet plus a smaller Android phone would fit the bill. With a bit of luck, they can share the charger as well; most stuff feeds off MicroUSB nowadays. I have two phones, an ebook reader and a Bluetooth headset that can use a single charger.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I'm leaning towards a non-smart flip phone but I'd need a tablet for reading & browsing plus (probably) a mobile hotspot for Internet. Downsides are 3 devices + 2 cell accounts, one of which I'd only use while traveling.
How about a bluetooth headset in the shape of a bar phone (didn't find a flip), paired with a large phone like a Note 2 or LG Intuition?

And here is where you can buy it.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #42
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
What the article manages to omit is that the "phablet" is catching on with specific demographics -- namely, the people who do not want, or can't afford, to own multiple computing devices and Internet contracts.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #43
faithbw
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
What the article manages to omit is that the "phablet" is catching on with specific demographics -- namely, the people who do not want, or can't afford, to own multiple computing devices and Internet contracts.
The article mentions some phablets, including the gargantuan (by smartphone standards) Ascend Mate. In fact, the last section of the article discusses how 5 inch and larger phones are becoming more common.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #44
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
What kind of pants are you wearing? My iPhone 4S with an Apple bumper fits fine in my pockets and doesn't impede me sitting down. I think the problem is with your pants rather than the size of your phone.
The good old stand-in, 501s. OK, a bit of an exaggeration; I can sit down, but it's not always easy, especially when you combine a seatbelt. Also, even if I can sit down, I can't easily get the phone out if it rings or I want to look something up.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have my Samsung Gravity (which could be a smart phone if I wanted it to be) in my backpack off. I very seldom use it. My Samsung Galaxy MP5 goes into my pocket and gets carried with me everywhere. My Nexus 7 stays at home, and now so does my Sony PRS-T1.

The Nexus is my in the house reader, and my Sony will be my outdoors on sunny days sit on a bench reader.

I do the majority of my computer doings on my pc which I can utilize much faster than any of my smaller devices.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote