Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Buying a used K4 from E-bay

I'm buying a used K4 from ebay. Seller is 100%

Should I be concerned?

Can anyone offer any warnings or advice?

What if the K4 is blacklisted?

If I can't register the K4, could I open a "case" with e-bay?
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Read the feedback comments. Percentage alone is irrelevant. You have to look at everything. How long have they been on eBay? How long have they been selling? How many feedbacks do they have for selling? Does the listing say it was their own unit that they're selling because they've traded up or what?

Are the pictures their own or were they lifted off the Amazon site? How many negatives? How many neutrals? How many revised? What is their feedback left for others like?

You can't just look at one thing. How much is it selling for? You could just drive over the border and get your own from Best Buy or Walmart in the States.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Is saving a few bucks worth the possible problems?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Buying a used Kindle period is likely to invite problems. Far better to just buy a brand new one and avoid potential trouble. People have bought them on Craig's List only to find out that the unit was reported lost/stolen and is bricked as a result.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK! No negatives, no neutrals. Seller since 2000. Purchased for $55.

I asked if it were a Special Offers K4- here's the reply:

No, it does not have the special advertisements. We had paid extra for that. I just mailed out your package so it should be there soon. Enjoy!

There's a case included & I asked if it were an official Kindle case. Here's that reply:

I don't know if it was official. I bought it from amazon and it was designed specifically to fit this model.

So, to me, it sounds legitimate. I think?

I also have the option of purchasing a 1-year warranty from "Square-Trade". Does anyone advise to do this?
__________________________________________________ ___

I did buy a K4, for myself from Amazon ($49 refurbished!!) & sent my DH to pick up @ the parcel handeling service we use, state-side.

THIS K4 is for a dear friend, who understands being on a budget. She does not mind that it's used.

EDIT: Thanks for all the input Guys! All thoughts I had about making this purchase... Please say a prayer that this works out for me!

Last edited by Wald07; 06-13-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Don't ask for advice after the fact. Ask before you buy so if an issue is discovered for whatever reason, you can choose no. Once you've already bought it it's a done deal.

And I could be wrong, but if THEY paid to remove the special offers that would only apply to the unit on their account not yours. Therefore it will have the special offers when your friend goes to register it. I don't believe it is carried with the device to the next owner.

I don't agree with the person advising against buying a used unit period because there are many legit people selling units because they upgraded. Heck I sold my three previous Sonys on eBay for that reason. If/when there's a new Kindle that I want I'll do the same with my non-touch. There are perfectly legitimate used devices with zero issues. You just have to know what to watch for and ask ALL questions before you click the bid or buy button, NOT afterwards.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The problem is that there is a known scam selling used Kindles. A good number of folks have posted about buying a used Kindle from EBay or Craig's list and then having it bricked by Amazon because it was reported stolen.

If I were to buy a used Kindle, I would buy it from Amazon. It might cost more, but the sellers on Amazon are held to a different standard and if you bought a stolen/lost Kindle from someone advertising on Amazon, I think that you would be more likely to get your money back then if the same thing happened on EBay or Craigslist.

I understand that money is tight for a lot of folks and that these deals look great. For my own sanity, I think I would wait and save the extra $30 to buy a new KNT and have the peace of mind that I got what I paid for and not have to worry about my Kindle suddenly not working properly because someone reported it stolen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The problem is that there is a known scam selling used Kindles. A good number of folks have posted about buying a used Kindle from EBay or Craig's list and then having it bricked by Amazon because it was reported stolen.

If I were to buy a used Kindle, I would buy it from Amazon. It might cost more, but the sellers on Amazon are held to a different standard and if you bought a stolen/lost Kindle from someone advertising on Amazon, I think that you would be more likely to get your money back then if the same thing happened on EBay or Craigslist.

I understand that money is tight for a lot of folks and that these deals look great. For my own sanity, I think I would wait and save the extra $30 to buy a new KNT and have the peace of mind that I got what I paid for and not have to worry about my Kindle suddenly not working properly because someone reported it stolen.
I totally agree. Alternatively, buy your refurbished from a trusted site such as Best Buy (if they have them) or some other site you know. I got my refurb Nook Color from Best Buy, for example. Not from some unknown ebay seller.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yup. There are places that are safe to buy a refurbed Kindle. They might not be $49 but the extra $10 bucks buys you peace of mind.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Hope you got lucky and happened to get one that wont cause issues.

But, I agree with the general feeling in the thread: Don't buy used unless it's from a reputable retailer or Amazon themselves.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I had forgotten that Amazon does sell refurbished Kindles. Still the principle is sound I think. Unless it's from Amazon or a well known dealer who has a working relationship with them I'd be leery of buying a used unit.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Don't ask for advice after the fact. Ask before you buy so if an issue is discovered for whatever reason, you can choose no. Once you've already bought it it's a done deal.

And I could be wrong, but if THEY paid to remove the special offers that would only apply to the unit on their account not yours. Therefore it will have the special offers when your friend goes to register it. I don't believe it is carried with the device to the next owner.

I don't agree with the person advising against buying a used unit period because there are many legit people selling units because they upgraded. Heck I sold my three previous Sonys on eBay for that reason. If/when there's a new Kindle that I want I'll do the same with my non-touch. There are perfectly legitimate used devices with zero issues. You just have to know what to watch for and ask ALL questions before you click the bid or buy button, NOT afterwards.
But a Sony is different then a Kindle. You buy a Kindle on eBay, you have no way of knowing if it's blacklisted or not. A Sony cannot be blacklisted. We have had people come to the forum because they bought a Kindle and it was blacklisted. Once blacklisted, Amazon want's nothing to do with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Wald07
Audiophile

Again guys, thanks for the input. This is why I posted, to get additional viewpoints to consider.

Trust me when I say, the advice is still relevant & useful..
Esp considering I was going to buy 2 this way.

So please don't feel your wasting your keystrokes on me Shopaholic.
It's not entirely after the fact, more like mid-way, as I really intended on buying 2...

I think I'll spring the $10 for the warranty offered by square trade.

So let's play WORST CASE SCENARIO here:

The Kindle is Blacklisted
The Kindle is BRICKED
The Kindle is useless.

So I open a case with e-bay & I'm refunded. Lesson learned, and I move on. The seller has listed a working kindle. If it cannot be linked to my account & used as intended, it's not fully functional, and I'm entitled to a refund.

I think my next "Gift Kindle" will be a refurb from Amazon for $69, as they offer a one-year warranty.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I doubt the Kindle will be bricked. But blacklisted is a possibility.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I doubt the Kindle will be bricked. But blacklisted is a possibility.
Not a very high probability. A seller with a good record on eBay isn't going to risk their reputation by selling a blacklisted device. Feedback is your best guide to the reliability of an eBay seller.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote