Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Sorry if I sounded critical, Harry. I do appreciate the work that uploaders put in.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
For books that aren't available (in a decent edition) elsewhere, I think it's good to provide the book in a format accessible to people who may not have an ereader (e.g. html, rft or even txt).
This makes the book easily available to the widest possible readership.
With Calibre available for Linux, Mac and Windows computers the formats provided here can be read on those three platforms. Plus Calibre has the option of converting these formats to mobi, prc, pdb, txt, pdf or rtf for use on other mobile devices.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is better for the site - IMHO - is for people to properly proof-read books. Very often, the PG (or whatever) originals are in poor shape.

Proof-reading is something that ANYONE can do. Far too few people actually do it, which is a real shame.

If anybody wants to say "thank you" to MR, then this is by far the best way to do it. Proof-read the book, make a note of all the errors, and send them by PM to the uploader.
I've not read that many books from the MR Library, but I did find some minor spelling errors in those that I did read. But, when I was searching the site what to do with that knowledge, it came out empty. I just couldn't find out what to do if I found spelling errors or other typographic errors.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps we should pm the uploader about the errors. Noting down where they are can imho ruin the flow of reading. I suppose it would be a great help though.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Can I just say "Thank You" to the uploaders and to MocileRead for their joint prodigious effort in supplying and continuing to supply uploaded reading material.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Make sure you give karma to the uploaders! I think this is a great way to rewward those who spent time formatting the books, and shows that their efforts are appreciated.

++++

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
One thought I've had recently was that it would be very nice to have, for each ebook, a single download that contains all the formats that have been done. E.G. most uploaders upload at least PRN, IMP, and LRF versions of each ebook. It would be handy to have a RAR version that contains all three (or more) variants.

This occurred to me when I was contemplating the purchase of a new ebook reader which uses ePUB versus the PRN/MOBI that my current ebook reader uses. I have well over 500 ebooks at this point and re-downloading all of them would be a very time consuming process. In examining my elibrary I found that those ebooks that I had gotten from Baen books CDs had many many formats (doc, htm, lit, mobi/prn, prc, lit, rb, and rtf) while the ebooks I had purchased directly from Baen were only in mobi/prn and/or htm. (At this point I remembered having to graduate from html to mobi/prn when I got my Kindle when I only had 200 ebooks or so). When I added in those ebooks I had gotten from here, PG, and other sources around the internet the process looked overwhelming.

I am instituting a new policy of downloading every format available for each ebook I acquire to insure flexibility but it would sure be helpful if they were prepackaged, so to speak.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
One thought I've had recently was that it would be very nice to have, for each ebook, a single download that contains all the formats that have been done. E.G. most uploaders upload at least PRN, IMP, and LRF versions of each ebook. It would be handy to have a RAR version that contains all three (or more) variants.

This occurred to me when I was contemplating the purchase of a new ebook reader which uses ePUB versus the PRN/MOBI that my current ebook reader uses. I have well over 500 ebooks at this point and re-downloading all of them would be a very time consuming process. In examining my elibrary I found that those ebooks that I had gotten from Baen books CDs had many many formats (doc, htm, lit, mobi/prn, prc, lit, rb, and rtf) while the ebooks I had purchased directly from Baen were only in mobi/prn and/or htm. (At this point I remembered having to graduate from html to mobi/prn when I got my Kindle when I only had 200 ebooks or so). When I added in those ebooks I had gotten from here, PG, and other sources around the internet the process looked overwhelming.

I am instituting a new policy of downloading every format available for each ebook I acquire to insure flexibility but it would sure be helpful if they were prepackaged, so to speak.

True, but then you have to manage/store more. For those books I put both on my Kindle2 and Sony I just let Calibre do an auto-covert rather than loading another book.

P.S. I must say I love the way all the series books were included in the Barsoom and Venus Omnibus(es). Thanks Harry!

Last edited by kennyc; 11-05-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
One of the things I really like about MR books is the illustrations. Sites like manybooks just have a bracketed description of the picture, which is really annoying. I'd like to see more illustrated books in the library, especially the ones that manybooks have in a 'descriptive' version.
Manybooks' proprietor wouldn't mind doing illustrated editions. His problem is that his ebook conversions to the myriad formats he offers are scripted, and as of the last time we exchanged email, he hadn't found a good reliable scripted solution for including illustrations. Munseys (formerly Blackmask) hs a similar issue.

When you hand craft ebooks as the uploaders here do, you can find appropriate illustrations from things like original magazine appearances and include them. When your process is automated, it's trickier.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #25
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post

We are currently rebuilding our ebook upload section from the base. Probably, one book will be featured on the same page with all the available formats so that you may choose between them!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
We are currently rebuilding our ebook upload section from the base. Probably, one book will be featured on the same page with all the available formats so that you may choose between them!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Nice!

But... nicer if I didn't have to choose.

(Gratuitous annoying holiday smilie.)
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Manybooks' proprietor wouldn't mind doing illustrated editions. His problem is that his ebook conversions to the myriad formats he offers are scripted, and as of the last time we exchanged email, he hadn't found a good reliable scripted solution for including illustrations. Munseys (formerly Blackmask) hs a similar issue.

Quote:
When you hand craft ebooks as the uploaders here do, you can find appropriate illustrations from things like original magazine appearances and include them. When your process is automated, it's trickier.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I always wondered why manybooks only had the descriptions.