Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Atagahi
Enthusiast
Atagahi began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Can I connect the Kindle through my wifi router?

have a Kindle that I can't connect to the net and use its whisper-net feature because it can't find a Wifi signel near my immediate home area. The thing is our home computer is connected to the net by way of a router and I was wondering if I could use the info from the router and use it to connect the Kindle wirelessly. My nephew did something like this when he visited to connect his iphone. If I could do this how would I go about it? The Kindle ask for a Network name and a password. I think the password would be the WEP number on the routers bottom but what would be the network name?
Atagahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Yes. You should be able to search for wifi signals. You would see a listing of one or more in the vicinity. Some might be neighbors' routers and one should be yours.

In many cases if folks don't change it, for instance the Linksys router will be identified as Linksys. Then, yes, you would need to know the password or key for your router if it had been protected.

From your browser you might be able to get some info

Enter 192.168.1.1

And see if it pops up your router configuration screen(s).
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I think perhaps you're going straight to "Turn WiFi On"? To connect for the first time, select instead "Settings", then go down to WiFi settings. That will show you a list of all WiFi networks the Kindle can see. Select yours (hopefully you'll be able to identify it from the networks listed - check your PC's network connections to see which network it is connected to and select the same one for the Kindle) and click on "Connect". Then it'll have the network name, and you can just enter the password for your router.

Once you've connected that first time, you should just be able to select "Turn WiFi On" and "Turn WiFi Off" without having to enter the password again.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
bobmielke
bobmielke began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wi-fi
Also, if you have a wi-fi setup running in your home it's probably password protected. You'll need to tell your Kindle that password.
bobmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atagahi View Post
have a Kindle that I can't connect to the net and use its whisper-net feature because it can't find a Wifi signel near my immediate home area. The thing is our home computer is connected to the net by way of a router and I was wondering if I could use the info from the router and use it to connect the Kindle wirelessly. My nephew did something like this when he visited to connect his iphone. If I could do this how would I go about it? The Kindle ask for a Network name and a password. I think the password would be the WEP number on the routers bottom but what would be the network name?
Does your router actually have WiFi? If not, the Kindle isn't going to connect to it! If it doesn't, you need to buy a WiFi Access Point (they aren't expensive) and plug it in to one of the ports of your router. Alternatively, replace your router with one that has WiFi built in.

The password is most assuredly NOT the WEP number, by the way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The password is most assuredly NOT the WEP number, by the way.
Hmmm... it is on mine, Harry. Perhaps it varies between different setups?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, yes; it does vary by set-up.
Most wireless routers allow a great deal of optional customization.
If the router wasn't set up by the owner he may not be aware of what settings and options are in place and that might affect the Kindle's ability to connect.
Some routers are set to broadcast their SSID while others aren't.
Some routers are set to filter would-be clients by MAC address.
Some implement WEP or WPA or WPA2 encryption while others don't.
It's not black magic but it isn't trivial. And typos can be nasty.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And typos can be nasty.
Heh... they surely can!

~~~~~

The fact that the OP's nephew was able to connect his iPhone successfully makes me reckon that:

a. It is a wireless router.
and:
b. The WEP on the label on the bottom of the router is most likely what needs to be entered to connect successfully. Otherwise they'd have had to dig out some other password, and the OP would likely remember having to do that.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Call the nephew.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Heh... they surely can!

~~~~~

The fact that the OP's nephew was able to connect his iPhone successfully makes me reckon that:

a. It is a wireless router.
and:
b. The WEP on the label on the bottom of the router is most likely what needs to be entered to connect successfully. Otherwise they'd have had to dig out some other password, and the OP would likely remember having to do that.
If this is the original poster's own router, the easiest thing to do is for him to simply go into its management interface and look what the settings are. That's a lot more reliable than us making random guesses.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
with an unsecured wi-fi router, kindle connects straight out of the box - no set up needed - well mine did anyway. that's with a Linksys wrt45 I think
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
with an unsecured wi-fi router, kindle connects straight out of the box - no set up needed - well mine did anyway. that's with a Linksys wrt45 I think
Hmmm. Unsecured WiFi networks are an extraordinarily BAD idea.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Quote:
That's a lot more reliable than us making random guesses.
Well, I'd hardly call referring back to the information provided by the OP as "random", but yes, if they're able to access the router's admin interface, that would likely provide the required info.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I just knew someone would say that :0

we don't all live in urban jungles you know

- but if you wish to drive by my out-in-the-country humble abode & steal a bit of bandwidth, then feel free to do so.

- there is no confidential data in shared folders on our home network & I strongly doubt that anyone wants to snoop our family photo collection :-)
it's much less hassle for visiting friends and family for us to have a wireless network that's easy to access, even though the family desktops & xbox are using wired Ethernet
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Call the nephew.
This.

Quote:
Also this.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote