Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #1261
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoq View Post
I'm using k2pdfopt 2.34b for converting pdfs to be read on Nook.
The conversion is fine, but when a line contains an equation, and ends
on equal sign, =, for being continued on the next line, the equal sign
gets removed in the converted pdf.
Try putting -hy- in the "Additional Options" box. It will turn off hyphen detection. The equals signs may be getting treated as hyphens? If that doesn't work, please post an example from your source file and list all of the command-line options you are using (or a screen shot of the GUI).

Last edited by willus; 06-03-2016 at 08:18 PM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #1262
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
problem page, two columns not recognized

I have been using a recommended command from you to optimize a magazine for reading on my kindle. There are a few cases where it fails, so perhaps my command needs further tweaking. The current command line is:

k2pdfopt -bpc 1 -cbox1 0,.52in -cbox2-9999 0,0 -m .11in,.04in,.14in,.6in -x <input PDF files>

I have attached a page that the above command line fails to detect that the upper portion is in two columns, resulting in giberish in the output file. Perhaps this is unavoidable, as not all pages are in the same layout, and pages like this will need to be handled as individual cases. But I defer to your superior knowledge of your tool to address the case that it might be possible to tweak the column detection in the command line.

Dave

PS: In case it makes a difference, this was page 3 in the PDF being processed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf badpage.pdf (83.2 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by dhdurgee; 06-05-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fix typo, add post-script
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #1263
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I have been using a recommended command from you to optimize a magazine for reading on my kindle. There are a few cases where it fails, so perhaps my command needs further tweaking. The current command line is:

k2pdfopt -bpc 1 -cbox1 0,.52in -cbox2-9999 0,0 -m .11in,.04in,.14in,.6in -x <input PDF files>

I have attached a page that the above command line fails to detect that the upper portion is in two columns, resulting in giberish in the output file. Perhaps this is unavoidable, as not all pages are in the same layout, and pages like this will need to be handled as individual cases. But I defer to your superior knowledge of your tool to address the case that it might be possible to tweak the column detection in the command line.
This seems to solve it--add this to the command line (or "Additional Options" box in the MS Windows GUI):
Code:
-ch 1
That changes the minimum height of a detectable 2-column region from 1.5 inches to 1 inch. Your 2-column region was just a little shorter than the default for being detected as 2-columns.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #1264
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
This seems to solve it--add this to the command line (or "Additional Options" box in the MS Windows GUI):
Code:
-ch 1
That changes the minimum height of a detectable 2-column region from 1.5 inches to 1 inch. Your 2-column region was just a little shorter than the default for being detected as 2-columns.
Thank you for your quick response. This does fix the problem and I will incorporate it in my command line for future processing.

Dave
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #1265
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Thank you for your quick response. This does fix the problem and I will incorporate it in my command line for future processing.

Dave
I just processed a new issue with the revised command line and while it dealt well with most pages there were four pages with problems. I have attached these pages for your inspection in case the command line can be tweaked a bit more without causing problems elsewhere.

The command line as I used it with these pages was:

k2pdfopt -bpc 1 -cbox1 0,.52in -cbox2-9999 0,0 -m .11in,.04in,.14in,.6in -x -ch 1

Of the pages only one was a first page in a pdf file. You can distinguish that one by the extra information at the top above the page image.

Thank you again for your assistance and creating this tool.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf badpages.pdf (256.0 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #1266
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I just processed a new issue with the revised command line and while it dealt well with most pages there were four pages with problems. I have attached these pages for your inspection in case the command line can be tweaked a bit more without causing problems elsewhere.

The command line as I used it with these pages was:

k2pdfopt -bpc 1 -cbox1 0,.52in -cbox2-9999 0,0 -m .11in,.04in,.14in,.6in -x -ch 1

Of the pages only one was a first page in a pdf file. You can distinguish that one by the extra information at the top above the page image.

Thank you again for your assistance and creating this tool.

Dave
Try -ch 0.5 (instead of -ch 1) and also adding: -evl 2
That will erase the verticle edges of the box around the boxed text on the one page and allow it to be re-flowed. The -ch 0.5 will break apart the shorter columns. You still have trouble with the first page because k2pdfopt is thinking that the text immediately after the black image is a caption for it and so doesn't break it into the separate columns. I don't have a control for this at the present time.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #1267
umeshg
Connoisseur
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
I am using Windows 10 and I have tried all 64 Bit version but I am getting the error message when I select the ' convert' option

Can someone please assist

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.PNG
Views:	252
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	149770  
umeshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #1268
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshg View Post
I am using Windows 10 and I have tried all 64 Bit version but I am getting the error message when I select the ' convert' option

Can someone please assist

Thank you
Can you post a screen shot of your GUI before you start the conversion? It's a long shot, but are you certain that (1) you have enough disk space for the conversion, and (2) you are saving into a folder where you have write permissions?
Old 07-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #1269
Masacroso
Masacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: cybook gen3 clone
Hi. First: thank you very much willus! Your application is awesome, I converted some PDF mathematical texts with this and I can read it in my ereader.

But I must says that I tried to convert somes djvu but the program dont read the files, when I press convert the log screen show that the program cant read the djvu files (but I can read it using windjview or any other djvu viewer).

Im using the windows 64 bit version of the program (the last one, the 2.34b) over windows 7. Ijust need to report that, maybe Im doing something wrong. I tried to convert in the default settings and some others but no one works.
Masacroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #1270
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masacroso View Post
But I must says that I tried to convert somes djvu but the program dont read the files, when I press convert the log screen show that the program cant read the djvu files (but I can read it using windjview or any other djvu viewer).

Im using the windows 64 bit version of the program (the last one, the 2.34b) over windows 7...
Can you post or PM me an example DJVU file which does not convert correctly?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #1271
Masacroso
Masacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a TexanMasacroso might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Can you post or PM me an example DJVU file which does not convert correctly?
Yes. I must say that it doesnt convert at all, the program just cant read the file.

I attached two files that I tried convert.

Anyway I must say that this problem is minor, I can export the djvu files to pdf and after make the conversion. Anyway it will be interesting to check what happen about djvu conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip djvu examples.zip (6.15 MB, 156 views)

Last edited by Masacroso; 07-10-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #1272
Masacroso

Ok, I solved the problem: it seems that the program dont open files with spaces in it name, so just making a copy and changing the name to "aaa.djvu" it works.

The weird thing is that this doesnt happen when I choose a pdf file with spaces in it name.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #1273
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Ok, I solved the problem: it seems that the program dont open files with spaces in it name, so just making a copy and changing the name to "aaa.djvu" it works.

The weird thing is that this doesnt happen when I choose a pdf file with spaces in it name.
Strange. I had no issues, even with the original file names that had spaces. Did you use the GUI or the command line? If you used the command line, you would have had to put double-quotes around the file names if they had spaces in them. Otherwise, is the file "aaa.djvu" in the same folder as the other files? Does the full path of the file name contain any non-ASCII characters (e.g. special European or foreign characters)? If you used the command line, can you send the exact command that failed, or if you used the GUI, can you post a screen shot?

I also notice that on the Kurtz file, k2pdfopt claims an error converting the blank pages. Not a big deal, but I'll check that before the next release.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:50 AM   #1274
Masacroso

Quote:
Strange. I had no issues, even with the original file names that had spaces. Did you use the GUI or the command line? If you used the command line, you would have had to put double-quotes around the file names if they had spaces in them. Otherwise, is the file "aaa.djvu" in the same folder as the other files? Does the full path of the file name contain any non-ASCII characters (e.g. special European or foreign characters)? If you used the command line, can you send the exact command that failed, or if you used the GUI, can you post a screen shot?

I also notice that on the Kurtz file, k2pdfopt claims an error converting the blank pages. Not a big deal, but I'll check that before the next release.
I tested: it is the path, yes... I make a copy of a djvu file somewhere, without changing it name, and it was converted with no problem. The weird thing is that I converted some pdf from the same folder and it doesnt had any problem. Only when I try to convert djvu the path problem appear.

The name of the folder have some non-common character. I will take a screenshot using the GUI:

http://i.imgur.com/5Kb1Z58.png
Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #1275
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I tested: it is the path, yes... I make a copy of a djvu file somewhere, without changing it name, and it was converted with no problem. The weird thing is that I converted some pdf from the same folder and it doesnt had any problem. Only when I try to convert djvu the path problem appear.

The name of the folder have some non-common character. I will take a screenshot using the GUI:

http://i.imgur.com/5Kb1Z58.png
The PDF file handling routines support UTF-8 strings, whereas the DJVU routines do not (yet). So this is consistent. Thank you for checking.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools