Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #811
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
K2PDFOpt crashing again!

Hi!
I had a persistent crashing problem with k2PDF Opt last year, which was subsequently solved with Willus’ help. Now the problem is back again, no matter which k2PDFOpt version I use.
I am trying to convert some new documents in order to read them in my Android tablet with an e-reader. Otherwise the original PDF version freezes in the-reader. Some have gone through easily, some keep crashing, with a message “ no valid PDF or corrupt”. Yet I can read them in my desktop with Foxit Reader!
I have looked at the properties of the original documents in Foxit Reader, to see if there is something different in the original PDF version. Unfortunately I was unable to find a trend: they can be PDF 1.4 or 1.5, the CREATOR shows as Internet Archives , while the PRODUCER can variously show as Google Books PDF Conv. Rel. 2.28 or LURA Document PDF v.2,28. It does not make a difference: different documents with the same specs some times crash sometimes don’t.
As to the k2PDFOpt parameters, they are the same I have been using since last year: FITPAGE option, DPI 127 or so, no box checked, except sometimes AUTOSTRAIGHTEN. If I don’t use the FITPAGE option, the Greek text page and the side-by-side translation are off alignment and it causes reading problems.
Can anybody help, please?
Thanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #812
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
Hi!
I had a persistent crashing problem with k2PDF Opt last year, which was subsequently solved with Willus’ help. Now the problem is back again, no matter which k2PDFOpt version I use.
[...]
Can anybody help, please?
Thanks

Ittiandro
@Ittiandro -- please PM to me or post a source PDF file that fails to convert properly so that I can diagnose the issue.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #813
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
I am trying to convert some new documents in order to read them in my Android tablet with an e-reader. Otherwise the original PDF version freezes in the-reader. Some have gone through easily, some keep crashing, with a message “ no valid PDF or corrupt”. ...
@Ittiandro -- the issue for the file you sent me is that page 72 has a very small graphic on it (a sliver of a black region in the margins) that k2pdfopt tries to scale to fit the device page, resulting in a very large bitmap which fails the memory allocation request. I will fix this in the next release, but for now you can solve the problem on the particular document you sent to me by using 0.05 inches for your crop margins (-m 0.05).
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #814
VaniNY
VaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterVaniNY can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle
Hi
I started a batch of K2PDF last night and this morning I found that the program had closed itself. Before I went to bed, I saw that it had completed several books. But this morning, I don't see any proof that it ever did any work. What happened to the files that I saw it convert? Where are the new .mobi files saved? Does anyone have have any idea what happened in my case? Thanks to anyone who is able to answer in a relevant way.
VaniNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #815
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

@VaniNY -- It should not have closed itself. It likely failed unexpectedly in attempting a conversion. If you can figure out which file caused this, please post it or send it to me in a private message so that I can diagnose the failure. The conversions do not generate .mobi files. They generate new PDF files which have "_k2opt" after the names, in the same folder as the source files. That's what you want to look for.

What OS are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #816
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.18 released

This is a minor bug fix which should correct Ittiandro's crashing issues. See the web site for details.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #817
loudyou
loudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PW
Segfault on Mac OS X 10.9 when using russian tesseract data
Selected options: -dev kpw -ocr t -ocrlang eng+rus

init_cube_objects(true, &tessdata_manager):Error:Assert failed:in file tessedit.cpp, line 237
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)
loudyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #818
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudyou View Post
Segfault on Mac OS X 10.9 when using russian tesseract data
Selected options: -dev kpw -ocr t -ocrlang eng+rus

init_cube_objects(true, &tessdata_manager):Error:Assert failed:in file tessedit.cpp, line 237
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)
@loudyou -- Can you post a listing of all the files in your Tesseract Data folder?
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #819
loudyou
loudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloudyou can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PW
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 171918 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.bigrams
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 38 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.fold
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 181 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.lm
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 857304 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.nn
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 254 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.params
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 13020078 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.size
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 2444187 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.word-freq
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 996 Oct 17 2012 eng.tesseract_cube.nn
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 21876572 Oct 17 2012 eng.traineddata
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 139 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.fold
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 278 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.lm
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 912800 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.nn
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 317 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.params
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 15241687 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.size
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 7064074 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.word-freq
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 15636141 Oct 9 2012 rus.traineddata
loudyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #820
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudyou View Post
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 171918 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.bigrams
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 38 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.fold
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 181 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.lm
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 857304 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.nn
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 254 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.params
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 13020078 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.size
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 2444187 Oct 17 2012 eng.cube.word-freq
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 996 Oct 17 2012 eng.tesseract_cube.nn
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 21876572 Oct 17 2012 eng.traineddata
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 139 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.fold
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 278 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.lm
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 912800 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.nn
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 317 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.params
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 15241687 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.size
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 7064074 Aug 24 2011 rus.cube.word-freq
-rw-r--r-- 1 lou wheel 15636141 Oct 9 2012 rus.traineddata
@loudyou -- there appears to be a problem with loading the Russian .cube data files. They cause an error upon initialization. For now, if you remove the rus.cube.* files, it should work. I had success on the attached document. I'll put better error checking into the next release of k2pdfopt. Beyond that I can't offer much more help as I am not a Tesseract training file expert.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf english_and_russian.pdf (58.9 KB, 255 views)
Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #821
tigerjack89
tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 6 WiFi
Hi guys, new to the forum
I have some issues with the use of this software, which I always use to read PDFs on the ebook.
Particularly, the main question is that when I have some tables or figures in the original page, I think that the conversion treats all the page as an image and doesn't use the dpi settings.
In the attachment, you can see what I mean: 2 adjacent pages from the same pdf with the same options. [Sorry, I use the rubber to delete some text, I don't know if the full images violates some copyrights]

How can I fix this?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by tigerjack89; 06-30-2014 at 12:06 PM.
tigerjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #822
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerjack89 View Post
Hi guys, new to the forum
I have some issues with the use of this software, which I always use to read PDFs on the ebook.
Particularly, the main question is that when I have some tables or figures in the original page, I think that the conversion treats all the page as an image and doesn't use the dpi settings.
In the attachment, you can see what I mean: 2 adjacent pages from the same pdf with the same options. [Sorry, I use the rubber to delete some text, I don't know if the full images violates some copyrights]

How can I fix this?
Thanks in advance
@tigerjack89 -- In the default conversion mode, k2pdfopt should ignore the DPI only in order to fit figures onto the output page, so I find the conversion to the first page a bit strange, but it certainly depends on exactly what was on the page and on the settings used. Can you show what options you are using for the conversion? Or post a screen shot of the GUI? Also, I've sent you a private message--I'd like to get at least a sample of the source from you.

PS. Welcome to MR!

Last edited by willus; 06-28-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #823
tigerjack89
tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tigerjack89 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
@tigerjack89 -- In the default conversion mode, k2pdfopt should ignore the DPI only in order to fit figures onto the output page, so I find the conversion to the first page a bit strange, but it certainly depends on exactly what was on the page and on the settings used. Can you show what options you are using for the conversion? Or post a screen shot of the GUI? Also, I've sent you a private message--I'd like to get at least a sample of the source from you.

PS. Welcome to MR!
ty
mail sent btw
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #824
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerjack89 View Post
ty
mail sent btw
@tigerjack89 -- There are a couple of issues. The main one is that there is a gray line down the edge of some of the pages which is causing your trouble. There are two ways around this. One is to use -evl 1 (erase vertical lines), or check the "erase vertical lines" checkbox. The other is to set the margins to a value like 0.05 inches (-m .05) so that k2pdfopt ignores lines on the very edge of the source pages.

The other issue, at least for the sample you sent to me, is that a dpi of 400 is way too high because the scanned images on each page are only at ~72 dpi. Because you are specifying your device width and height in cm, your output dpi is having no effect on the output text size, so specifying 400 is only making the output file size (in bytes) larger than necessary without improving your quality. I'd use -odpi 150. If you want the output text larger, then use -ds 1.5 or -ds 2.0, for example. You should see no difference in the quality, and your output file will be much smaller and the conversion will be much faster.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #825
tigerjack89

ty willus, it does work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
@tigerjack89 -- There are a couple of issues. The main one is that there is a gray line down the edge of some of the pages which is causing your trouble.
I tried to open the file with different readers, but I can't see this grey line on the PDF. Am I going blind or am I missing something?

Quote:
The other issue, at least for the sample you sent to me, is that a dpi of 400 is way too high because the scanned images on each page are only at ~72 dpi.
How can I see the dpi of the images?

Thanks again

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools