Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Dust spots?

Over the last week I've noticed more and more dust particles (or spots) in the top right corner of my 700. They are only noticeable when reading in the dark with the side lights on.

I've tried a lint free cloth but am unable to get the spots off... Can anyone recommend a cleaning product to try? (IF the dust is inside the screen then obviously there's a whole other issue here...)
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
sarah7700
Enthusiast
sarah7700 doesn't littersarah7700 doesn't litter

Device: PRS700
I have the exact same problem
sarah7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
its in the Screen. I think its Condensation.

Ditto Here.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
I also have seen this and while its quite minor now, I suspect it may get worse
over time. I believe its dust particles not condensation. The only solution that
I've yet to try is to get a can of pressurized air and blast the corners or openings
to see if you can clear the screen. *do this in the dark with sidelights ON to see the
air rush in and clear the screen*
Of course, there is a more drastic way of
fixing the problem and that requires screen surgery to gain access to the underside
and wipe clean. (would also be a good time to seal the openings (if any) since
that is the nature of the problem.

Last edited by Server; 01-21-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've not examined a 700 close up, why didn't Sony seal this in the first place? I wonder if they thought it should be vented or something
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes, open for air to breath or else condensation can build up within the
plexiglas touch panel I presume.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Yikes. I'll try the compressed air, and other then that if it doesn't help I'll call Sony and find out if this is a warranty issue or a design flaw.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I remember a few years back this dust particle problem being quite serious with the Jornada and Ipaq Pocket Pc's. Was a big problem for a while for the first generation of those machines. I too, have noticed 3 or 4 little flecks. I was trying to wait to see if it getting any worse, if they are dead spots on the screen, or dust. I do have the 3 year warranty, which I am hoping will take care of this. At this time, I am ok with my few flecks. Any more, tho, and I will be calling Sony.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

rjfarrell: I didn't mind the three or four specs I started out with, there are now so many it is virtually unreadable now. I will try to take a picture later when I get back home and post it.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Lumiens
Lumiens began at the beginning.

Device: prs 700bc
I too am getting dust spots. I've had it all for 2 weeks and I only notice when I use the light, but I use the light every night. And the dust only seems to be multiplying.

One other thing, the connection is very temperamental. If I can't find the one spot on the bottom of the prs 700 then my computer will see it but none of the programs will sync/connect with it. If it gets worse I'll send it back or see if air helps.

I definitely never heard of any mention of dust getting stuck between the two layers of the reading screen though - it's frustrating if the fix is very complicated.

Take care,

Lum
Lumiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

The connection issue is something I don't have here. Use it daily for charging / managing my books. The dust spots are something that needs to be addressed. Someone from Sony contacted me here in MR and I'm waiting to see if anything becomes of it.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Server
Anti-Narcissist

Sony Listens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
"....Someone from Sony contacted me here in MR and I'm waiting to see if anything becomes of it..."

Yes, I was also contacted by SonyListens. It was a pleasant surprise.
Sony has a program that monitors website forums and groups and
makes initial contact if they feel they can assist. In addition to
helping, this may also give them additional research for future model
updates and firmware revisions.

More on SonyListens....

Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
My 700 also is getting more and more dust particles, most of them are at the top of the screen. I did try compressed air, I was not able to move particles. I use the reader at least 2 hours a day in pubic transportation, it's not a dust-free environment. I notice these particles changing their locations almost daily. One day it was so bad I couldn't concentrate on reading. Next day, there were only few left.

My first unit had a hardware problem (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34851), I replaced it in SonyStyle, new unit got exact same problem after 3 weeks. There is no single scratch on the reader, it's never been dropped. I cannot take to the store again, too many days past. Now with this open space on the device, it will collect even more dust.

While I like the 700, it's been disappointment to deal with this problem plus dust, in such a short period of time of ownership. My original 500 had no problem during a year, current 505 has been very solid for many months. Of course, layers of screens already mean a potential dust problem. But my two units haven't seemed to be well-built devices.

I'd like to hear from SonyListents too.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
Oy! I have a Yellow lab, Pug, and a long-haired kitty

All are big shedders, but so far no problems, although the rim popped out of place on the right side, but my husband fixed it.

I love my new toy so much(the 700 is my first electronic reader), I'm starting to cradle it like a newborn.

Hopefully, a better leather (or other material) case to protect it will be introduced soon!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Over the last week I've noticed more and more dust particles (or spots) in the top right corner of my 700. They are only noticeable when reading in the dark with the side lights on.

I've tried a lint free cloth but am unable to get the spots off... Can anyone recommend a cleaning product to try? (IF the dust is inside the screen then obviously there's a whole other issue here...)
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

I'm not sure it matters when SonyLIstens contacts you... I got an email responded with my information and got a "I will pass your info on to Sony" and then nothing but a spam from Sony wanting me to fill out a questionnaire from my recent experience with them.

<Sigh>

I love the reader but the reason I bought it (Reading with the lights on) is now useless. The first 1/4 of the screen is now COVERED in dust spots on the inside of the screen so it's essentially a e-ink reader without lights and with bad quality. ;(