Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
crowned
crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Vocabulary builder greyed out

Just got a new PW3 (I think, it says kindle in black) running 5.7.4.1. I didn't register it and didn't download any books from Amazon. Did a factory reset and then sideloaded books with calibre...

At the moment when I open the dropdown that shows the vocab builder option, the text "Vocabulary Builder" is greyed out and I can't open it. I've already clicked on words inside books and am shown the correct dictionary definition.
crowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Did you make sure that the feature is turned on? I don't use it, so I can't speak to whether it works on side-loaded books or not.

On my Voyage, it's under "Reading Options" > "Language Learning" > Vocabulary builder slide on/off.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
crowned
crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.crowned knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Did you make sure that the feature is turned on? I don't use it, so I can't speak to whether it works on side-loaded books or not.

On my Voyage, it's under "Reading Options" > "Language Learning" > Vocabulary builder slide on/off.
I thought there might be an option like that, but when I go from the Library to Settings -> Reading Options, the only option that comes up is a slider that says "Page Refresh"

Bizarre.

EDIT: From a book, when I go to Settings -> Word Wise, there is a slider for Word Wise and also a Slider for Vocabulary Builder...

Vocab builder was on.

Turned it off
Exited the book
Entered a book
Turned it on
Pressed on a word, got the definition of the word
Exited book
Looked for the Vocab builder...

Greyed out !

What gives ?

Last edited by crowned; 01-30-2017 at 03:06 AM.
crowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This 3-year-old blog post says vocabulary builder doesn't always work with sideloaded books. Are your books AZW3?

https://www.ereader-palace.com/how-t...-amazon-books/
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don't know for sure in this case, but some kindle features may not be available if your device is not registered.

Others in MobileRead have reported similar problems over the years. For example, this thread and this thread.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My "sideloaded" books do have vocabulary builder. But I use send to kindle to side load and my kindles are always registered. So my docs are also in the cloud.
Send to kindle sends mobi, right? Probably doesn't work because its not registered then.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:16 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with jhowell and Atunah--I'm pretty sure that in order to get the Vocabulary Builder to work you'll need to register your Kindle.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote