Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Author Alerts and Amazon

Quote:
Our Amazon affiliate account, which we use to get book data, was recently terminated for violating their terms of service (you cannot send the Amazon special links in e-mails). We have fixed this by linking back to our site instead, but our request for a new account was denied for the following reasons. "1-Lack of content which is original to your site and beneficial to your visitors. 2-Pages that are mainly empty when advertisement content is removed." We, of course, disagree with their assessment and are attempting to reason with them on these points, but if we cannot then we will have to shut down authoralerts.com in the near future. We are sorry about this because Author Alerts has largely been a labor of love and it is thanks to all of our wonderful users over the years.

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Quote:
Our Amazon affiliate account, which we use to get book data, was recently terminated for violating their terms of service (you cannot send the Amazon special links in e-mails). We have fixed this by linking back to our site instead, but our request for a new account was denied for the following reasons. "1-Lack of content which is original to your site and beneficial to your visitors. 2-Pages that are mainly empty when advertisement content is removed." We, of course, disagree with their assessment and are attempting to reason with them on these points, but if we cannot then we will have to shut down authoralerts.com in the near future. We are sorry about this because Author Alerts has largely been a labor of love and it is thanks to all of our wonderful users over the years.

Apache
I would say they ran afoul of this:

Quote:
Amazon's Affiliate Program now requires we ask permission to direct you to your selected book on the Amazon site. May we take you to Amazon?
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Interesting. So what's going to happen to Bookbub and Ereader News Today now?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Interesting. So what's going to happen to Bookbub and Ereader News Today now?

Shari
Bookbub already changed.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Bookbub already changed.
It did? I just got an email from them this morning, and when I click the link in the email it takes me to the page for the book on Amazon, with an affiliate code attached to the book. Same with Ereader News Today.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It did? I just got an email from them this morning, and when I click the link in the email it takes me to the page for the book on Amazon, with an affiliate code attached to the book. Same with Ereader News Today.

Shari
It sounds like from reading the first post, there is more going on with author alerts than just the links. I bet I know what is was.
Did you notice that Bookbub does very few free books anymore? Last I read on the subject was Amazon changed it to where you can only do one free book per so many paid ones because they were paying the free book affliates more than their links were generating.
Apparently if you go through an affliates link, that affliate gets a percentage of everything you buy that day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Apparently if you go through an affliates link, that affliate gets a percentage of everything you buy that day.
Interesting! Thank you. I thought the percentage was only on the one sale and hadn't realized it was for other purchases on the same day. Wow.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I wouldn't think Authoralerts would send links to very many free books. It only sends emails about authors you've pre-selected and only about new releases. There are no price drop notifications.

I hope they can get it straightened out. I buy quite a lot of books they email me about (although I do usually check the prices on Kobo before buying from Amazon).
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Interesting! Thank you. I thought the percentage was only on the one sale and hadn't realized it was for other purchases on the same day. Wow.
I'm not sure it is all day but it is definitely all session
If you use an affiliate link to look at a book and instead buy a TV the affiliate gets a commission based on the price of the TV. The session-based commission is needed to allow for comparison shopping and alsobot recommendations. (A camera review site links you to a Canon model and you end up buying an Olympus instead. )

It works beautifully for most non-book affiliates but free ebooks have long been a bone of contention.

Early in the decade there were dozens of websites devoted solely to highlighting free ebooks and mining affiliate fees from same-session purchases. Amazon cracked down and those sites are mostly gone. Other sites have to be careful about balancing content and links.

More recently, as pointed out above, Amazon has been getting heartburn over newsletters and mailing lists.

They keep tightening the screws because they see those businesses as taking money out of their pockets without generating enough compensatory sales. Also because the deal brokers distort the discovery process and they can become king makers, the online equivalent of the front table payola of B&N and other stores.

They don't want to end the session-based commissions for book links because there are still plenty of honest review sites that do earn their commissions by generating offsetting sales but it might come to that.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Apache
Yea, I mentioned that I wasn't getting Author Alert emails, though I could go to the site and see the new and upcoming books, so I've been going to the site once a week or so. The feed has been cut off, so no new or upcoming books.

It's really a shame because Amazon sure as heck hasn't been offering this service. Definitely a case of penny wise and pound foolish. I would say that a good quarter of the books that I've bought from Amazon and all the books I preordered was through Author Alert, and I generally buy between 100 and 200 books a year.

If they don't wise up, it just means that I'm going to miss out on a lot of books because I don't know they are available and they will miss out on a lot of my money.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
Count me as another one who will really miss author alerts. I keep checking back, hoping that is up and running again.

At last count, my list was up to 147 authors. Many of them go years between publishing, so without the site I won't discover their new items until the paper books show up in my used book store - a definite loss of revenue for Amazon and space filled on my bookshelves instead of my kindle.

Does anyone know of any other sites doing what AuthorAlerts did?
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Don't some of the price drop sites also include new listings? I'm thinking of eReaderIQ and Bookbub (?)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
If it is upcoming books of a specific author you are interested in, doesn't Amazon allow to follow authors and you get an email next time something new will be availlable?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If it is upcoming books of a specific author you are interested in, doesn't Amazon allow to follow authors and you get an email next time something new will be availlable?
You can follow authors with Amazon and I follow a fair number of them, but over the past couple of years, I think that I've only gotten a couple of notifications from Amazon, even though those authors have come out with many new books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes, but AuthorAlert warned me sis months before the date and Amazon two months AFTER the date
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote