Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #496
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The only thing you will gain is the ability to "see" the added fonts in the AA menu (they will still work on the newer firmware versions, even if not added to the menu).

You will lose the ability to use Amazon services.
I.E: 5.3.x is too old to support the TLS protocol that all (sensible) web sites now use.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #497
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Oh geez, that's worse than just losing some pop-up functionality. I will scratch that plan.
Thanks!
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #498
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@911jason: Provided you don't want to use a bajillion fonts, the current iteration of the hack does the job just fine on current FW (... in theory, my most up to date device is a PW2 on FW 5.8.x, IIRC).

It just has to be sligthly sneakier, which means slightly more convoluted to setup. And you only effectively have one or two 'slots' available in terms of fonts to "replace".

EDIT: And because I just skimmed the last few pages: no, I never tested this on KFX files (... that I remember), so yeah, don't expect this to work with KFX files. And given the amount of hoop-jumping handling KF8 involved, uggggh.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-13-2018 at 10:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #499
911jason
Zealot

Thank you @NiLuJe I got Bookerly & Roboto Sans installed, Roboto is a huge improvement over everything else I've seen on a Kindle!

Now, while I have you here... Lol, can you tell me if it's possible to hack the margins on my PW1 with 5.6.1.1 firmware, without first seeking a degree from MIT? I've searched and searched, but to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kVYeHfX.png
Views:	358
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	163968   Click image for larger version

Name:	sD101IM.png
Views:	375
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	163969  
Old 05-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #500
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@911jason: I recall personally giving up on the margins, because it's such a PITA, and I hate Java with a fiery passion.

At one point, I made some attempts at easing/semi-automating the porting of an existing, working bytecode patch over different FW versions, but that basically got nowhere fast, in part because of the aforementioned "I suck at Java" issue, and in part because that was a time during which Amazon was putting out new FW like rabbits in a rut, and getting increasingly annoying to deal with.

And that was approximately three hard-drives ago, so I wouldn't even know where to find that bit of scripting .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-13-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #501
911jason
Zealot

Okay, I'll take the cover screensaver and font hacks and be totally content. Thank you for your response and for all your work over the years!
Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #502
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, unfortunately, two years later, I'm still torn between Kobo's tweakability and relative openness vs. Amazon's vastly superior hardware & software.

I've got to say that the implementation of night mode on the KOA2, while we're still missing decent typography options and screensavers is utterly baffling, and slightly hurtful...
Old 05-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #503
911jason
Zealot

Funny you say that. I was checking out Kobo devices the other day as I was getting so frustrated with the hoops necessary to do such simple things on this kindle. I had a K2 and a K3 before switching to android tablets/phones for all my reading. Now reading on this paperwhite has given me back the eInk bug.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you find inferior about the Kobo hardware? I've got several hundred epub files that would work great if I switched away from kindle. I didn't like the looks of their very orange lighting scheme though.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #504
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Wait, 5.6.1.x, that's a PW1, right? That's roughly the EOL update, right?

I *may* had mine that up to date *and* patched at the time.
Unfortunately, I lent it to my brother, and that's all she wrote...

If I remember where the hell I could have backed that up, you may be in luck, but don't hold your breath, since I can't even check it actually ever was running that FW version...

EDIT: To answer the Kobo question, in short: don't put a Kobo next to a >= PW2 and play at browsing the UI or a book, that'll make you want to cry. The Kobo'll feel very much sluggier.

It's decent enough once you've forgotten how snappy a Kindle is, mind you. Hence the H2O being my daily-driver for the past two years. And cue ranting and raging each time I have to look at my PW2 again .

EDIT²: Yeah, no such luck on the backups, it's probably on the raid array currently sitting in pieces in the box of hard-drives in my basement...

Either that, or I gave up on margins even earlier than I remembered.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-13-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #505
911jason
Zealot

Yes, it was the terminal firmware.

Glad you told me about the Kobo, because that's not info I would have ever gotten from browsing their site.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #506
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm hoping really hard a miracle will happen on either side of the fence: either that the upcoming (soon) Kobo device will be awesome, or that Amazon will stop being so annoyingly stupid.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:57 AM   #507
sindegra
sindegra began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hey NiLuJe, any chance you know a way of installing customs fonts on a PW3 with 5.9.x framework? When I use the font override for Caecilia condensed it seems to only replace the font in the Aa menu and not in the book itself .
sindegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #508
911jason
Zealot

Didn't Amazon just release firmware that supports custom fonts on your PW3?
Old 06-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #509
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@sindegra: What @911jason said (That's since FW 5.9.6, FWIW) . Also, if you were checking KFX files, all bets are off, I've never checked how that behaved (so, assume it doesn't work).
Old 06-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #510
sindegra
sindegra began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Thanks NiJuLe! I just read that update as well. I spent a lot of time getting fonts to work using the fonts.sqsh method through ssh, and then amazon goes and does it for me. Sigh.
sindegra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch