Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
imhungry
imhungry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite or other for library ebooks?

Hi all, I just ordered a Paperwhite as I'm away for a month soon and wanted easy access to books but I now realise that the ebooks my library website say I can get aren't available for the Paperwhite. They use CloudLibrary, Borrowbox and RBDigital (I'm in Australia). My question: is there a workaround (alternative OS maybe?) that will let me read books borrowed from one of these services or should I just send it back when it arrives and order a Kobo Aura (which does support library ebooks)? Thanks!
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
Hi all, I just ordered a Paperwhite as I'm away for a month soon and wanted easy access to books but I now realise that the ebooks my library website say I can get aren't available for the Paperwhite. They use CloudLibrary, Borrowbox and RBDigital (I'm in Australia). My question: is there a workaround (alternative OS maybe?) that will let me read books borrowed from one of these services or should I just send it back when it arrives and order a Kobo Aura (which does support library ebooks)? Thanks!
Actually, the Aura only natively supports library books available through Overdrive, so you're out of luck there, as well. Of course, you can still download the books to your computer using ADE and transfer them to your Kobo that way, so it's still more accessible than the Paperwhite for you.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And if you really like the Paperwhite, you can download the library books (I believe with cloud library and rbdigital), strip the DRM, convert, and side load them to the Paperwhite.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And if you really like the Paperwhite, you can download the library books (I believe with cloud library and rbdigital), strip the DRM, convert, and side load them to the Paperwhite.
Yes but that is not strictly legal. Even thhe guys who brought you the de DRM tools say don't do it.
I have no eithical objection if it is just a format shift ,i.e. you borrow it, tweak it, read it, return it, delete the tweaked copy...all within the loan period, but it is generally frowned upon.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
For Cloudlibrary, there is no need to strip DRM as it doesn't have any. I just add it to Calibre, convert to a kindle format and load on the unit. It is a challenge to find where they are located, but once you are there, no problem. If you have an ereader like Kobo or Nook, you can just drag it right over to the unit as is. If someone doesn't have or doesn't want to use Calibre, there are a couple of online converters that do epub->mobi or AZW3.

C:Users/xxx/appData/Roaming/Bibliotheca/CloudLibrary/PROD/ebooks

RBDigital, only works from the app. To get it on the Fire, you have to install Google Play. (google: google play installation Fire). Sadly, I can't use my Nano for this. Downloads on my Itouch fine.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-20-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
For Cloudlibrary, there is no need to strip DRM as it doesn't have any.
CloudLibrary absolutely uses DRM (Adobe Adept) on some (can't say all, because I don't know for sure) of their books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
For Cloudlibrary, there is no need to strip DRM as it doesn't have any. I just add it to Calibre, convert to a kindle format and load on the unit. ...
Are you sure you don't have DeDRM plugin installed in Calibre? If you do the DeDRM process would be automatic.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Are you sure you don't have DeDRM plugin installed in Calibre? If you do the DeDRM process would be automatic.
I do, but there aren't any keys for translation. I do agree that some of those books likely have DRM, but so far nothing I've downloaded has had it but I've only downloaded fiction.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I do, but there aren't any keys for translation.
So you don't have it set up to decrypt your ADE downloads? Because that's what CloudLibrary uses for its encryption, the same ID. Interesting. I know OverDrive has publishers that offer non-DRM'd ePubs, but I've only downloaded stuff from major pubs on CloudLibrary and that's all been DRM'd will have to watch for that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do, but there aren't any keys for translation. I do agree that some of those books likely have DRM, but so far nothing I've downloaded has had it but I've only downloaded fiction.
I don't do much directly with Adobe DRM on my computer, but I don't think you have to set up anything on your DeDRM plugin to get it to work with Calibre if you're using Windows (or Mac, I've read, but not Linux) and the computer needs to have ADE installed (with the same ADE login). I know I downloaded a DRM book directly to my Tolino (which has ADE built-in) and wanted to change the font in Calibre, but it had a DRM lock when I tried to open it on my Linux computer. When I opened it on the Windows partition of a laptop (where I have ADE), it worked without issue or any kind of intervention on my part.

I'm not sure, but I think you can disable the DeDRM plugin on Calibre. I would be curious what happens if you try that.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For Cloudlibrary, there is no need to strip DRM as it doesn't have any. I just add it to Calibre, convert to a kindle format and load on the unit. It is a challenge to find where they are located, but once you are there, no problem. If you have an ereader like Kobo or Nook, you can just drag it right over to the unit as is. If someone doesn't have or doesn't want to use Calibre, there are a couple of online converters that do epub->mobi or AZW3.

RBDigital, only works from the app. To get it on the Fire, you have to install Google Play. (google: google play installation Fire). Sadly, I can't use my Nano for this. Downloads on my Itouch fine.
I assumed the books I've downloaded through Cloudlibrary have DRM. Cloudlibrary asked me to authorize using ADE when I installed it. I just tried another download, and it had DRM (it would not open in Edge).
Old 09-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Quote:

I use CloudLibrary also, probably the same library as you- Hennepin County? Anyway it absolutely has DRM. I recently bought a Nook Glowlight 3 to use for epubs from CL because I wanted to use eink rather than my iPad for these books. Downloading to the device with a usb works fine and I never connected the wifi to my home network thinking I would have plenty of time to read them all with the wifi off, turns out not only is there DRM but there is a kill-switch time limiter too. I wrongly assumed it would be like overdrive/kindle in that they would stay on my device with wifi off. If I try to open the books after the time limit i get an error pop up that says it is an expired loan.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cloudlibrary does have DRM. It uses ADE and Adept DRM. The DRM plugin is stripping the DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Cloudlibrary does have DRM. It uses ADE and Adept DRM. The DRM plugin is stripping the DRM.
I don't think it uses ADE, but I believe it does use Adept DRM. I may be wrong.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't think it uses ADE, but I believe it does use Adept DRM. I may be wrong.
Please excuse my ignorance ... what's the difference between Adept DRM and ADE? I didn't even know there was another type of Adobe DRM. (I'll see if I can Google this.)