Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
h0m3r
h0m3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unable to e-mail book to Kindle

I set up a gmx account to hopefully make this as simple as possible..
I'm getting the following error (let me know if more logs needed):

Quote:
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
reply: '220 gmx.com (mrgmx003) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: gmx.com (mrgmx003) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
connect: gmx.com (mrgmx003) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
send: 'ehlo [172.23.237.65]\r\n'
reply: '250-gmx.com Hello [172.23.237.65] [xx.xx.xx.xx]\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: '250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello [172.23.237.65] [xx.xx.xx.xx]
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SIZE 69920427
STARTTLS
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: OK
send: 'ehlo [172.23.237.65]\r\n'
reply: '250-gmx.com Hello [172.23.237.65] [xx.xx.xx.xx]\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: '250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello [172.23.237.65] [xx.xx.xx.xx]
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SIZE 69920427
send: AUTH
reply: '535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: Authentication credentials invalid

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 44, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 134, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 158, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 648, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, 'Authentication credentials invalid')
I'm 100% sure I'm using the correct password.
What I'm not clear on is what the field values for "your gmx email address" and "your gmx username" should be. This might be the source of the problem.. what *should* they be? Right now, I have them both filled with the full e-mail address (ex. if I'm using abcde@gmx.com - not real - both are filled out with abcde@gmx.com).

Also potentially something else is going wrong.. but I have no idea. Please assist.
h0m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The server is saying you are providing incorrect username/password information. Use the full GMX email address as the username. Also log in to gmx once using a browser. You may need to toggle a setting somewhere in it to enable sending email via SMTP (but that was not needed the last time I tried it).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One quick question, did you login to GMX using a web browser, click settings at the bottom of the email tab, select POP3 & IMAP and check the box that says allow access to this account via POP3 and IMAP? If that access is not enabled, I got the authentication failure error trying to send from calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
h0m3r
h0m3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One quick question, did you login to GMX using a web browser, click settings at the bottom of the email tab, select POP3 & IMAP and check the box that says allow access to this account via POP3 and IMAP? If that access is not enabled, I got the authentication failure error trying to send from calibre.
Exactly this. Thank you.

In fact, after reading your message, I went to the web interface of gmx.. and lo and behold, there was a message from them (subject: "Failed access via e-mail program") stating the same thing.
h0m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3r View Post
Exactly this. Thank you.

In fact, after reading your message, I went to the web interface of gmx.. and lo and behold, there was a message from them (subject: "Failed access via e-mail program") stating the same thing.
You're welcome.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote