Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #1
OonaMistwalker
OonaMistwalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Looking For a Particular, Previous Version of calibre

I have a Kindle 2 that I think only reads the old .azw and .mobi formats and not the current .azw3 and KF8 (new mobi) formats. I want to convert the .azw files on the kindle the old mobi format so I can tidy up a few things in the metadata, then send it back to the Kindle 2.

Was version 2 the last to provide old ones? Was there a later version that did? I am trying to find out on my own, but I would be grateful for guidance.

Last edited by OonaMistwalker; 07-15-2021 at 11:46 PM.
OonaMistwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:49 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OonaMistwalker View Post
I have a Kindle 2 that I think only reads the old .azw and .mobi formats and not the current .azw3 and KF8 (new mobi) formats.

Was version 2 the last to provide old ones? Was there a later version that did? I am trying to find out on my own, but I would be grateful for guidance.
As far as I recall, the old AZW format was a mobi file with high compression enabled. AZW3 and KF8 are not mobi (KF8 was originally used for Kindle Fire tablets, azw3 is the commonly used file extension and this format is currently the most commonly used Amazon ebook format).

In calibre's Preferences => Conversion => Output options => MOBI output, make sure the dropdown for MOBI filetype is set to old. Set the other options as you want (I seem to have Put generated Table of Contents at start of book & Use author sort for author checked, the rest are left blank).

Edit: attached image of mobi output options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi_output_options.png
Views:	73
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	188209

Last edited by DNSB; 07-15-2021 at 11:53 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:00 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I have a Kindle 2 that I think only reads the old .azw and .mobi formats and not the current .azw3 and KF8 (new mobi) formats. I want to convert the .azw files on the kindle the old mobi format so I can tidy up a few things in the metadata, then send it back to the Kindle 2.

Calibre Supports all older Kindles.
With the device connected, right click the devices icon on the Calibre UI: Configure.
It is there, you select which formats are supported AND the preferred priority when multiple formats exist.

BTW Congrats of having a still working K2. You must baby it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:29 AM   #4
OonaMistwalker
OonaMistwalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you, the ducks, for explaining that. I'm SO NEW with calibre. I really appreciate your supportiveness.

As for the Kindle, I've only ever broken the plastic shell on those hooks in the Amazon case so I hacked off the hooks with a saw, sewed in elastic corners to hold the Kindle and swapped out the cracked shell for one from an intact but nonfunctional Kindle I bought for cheap on eBay.

Other than that, I've only had to change the battery. But yeah. If I take it out of the house it goes in a rigid, waterproof plastic case.

What kind of ereader do you have?
OonaMistwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you, the ducks, for explaining that. I'm SO NEW with calibre. I really appreciate your supportiveness.

As for the Kindle, I've only ever broken the plastic shell on those hooks in the Amazon case so I hacked off the hooks with a saw, sewed in elastic corners to hold the Kindle and swapped out the cracked shell for one from an intact but nonfunctional Kindle I bought for cheap on eBay.

Other than that, I've only had to change the battery. But yeah. If I take it out of the house it goes in a rigid, waterproof plastic case.

What kind of ereader do you have?
Always in some sort of case
I've had 3 models since I joined. 2@EZreader Pocket Pro (1 totaled, 1 bat barely lets it boot), A K4NT (now is my backup, battery replaced) and my Kobo Aura2 (my daily reader). I use my Tablet for PDF (usually diagrams and schematics).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote