Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever dropped an ereader in the bath?
Once 2 1.63%
More than once 5 4.07%
Never, and I read in bath 29 23.58%
Never, but I never read in the bath 87 70.73%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #31
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I don't have a bath... So that kinda prevents the issue...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #32
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Modern tubs aren't worth even trying to relax in. Too short to lay down in. Too shallow at the end you sit in to avoid all the faucets poking you in the back so the water barely covers your thighs. The only tubs that you can really take a nice soak in up to your shoulders are the old fashioned claw foot tubs. But who has those any more? Who designed those awful modern tubs anyway and why did so many builders buy them?

I've tried to relax in tubs but sitting in a shallow puddle just doesn't cut it.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #33
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
IN the toilet ?!?!!

I did that with my first smartphone.
Killed the darn thing...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Modern tubs aren't worth even trying to relax in. Too short to lay down in. Too shallow at the end you sit in to avoid all the faucets poking you in the back so the water barely covers your thighs. The only tubs that you can really take a nice soak in up to your shoulders are the old fashioned claw foot tubs. But who has those any more? Who designed those awful modern tubs anyway and why did so many builders buy them?

I've tried to relax in tubs but sitting in a shallow puddle just doesn't cut it.
The last bath I took was in a big enough tub to get covered enough and lay in pretty well. But then it was not my bath. It was the one in the townhouse we were renting. And we didn't pay any extra for water or heat. So I was able to have a bath for no extra $.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #35
raynchk
raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-505
I have a shower and no tub. However, I did throw a kobo on my hammock while out camping and it rained. Bricked the KOBO.
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Reading in the bath must be a thing, Amazon never fails to mention this use case in their product descriptions for Oasis and Paperwhite. But it is not my thing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:56 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I do know one person who reads in the bath. She loves using bath salts/bath bombs/etc. Sadly when her Oasis 3 fell into the tub, it died horribly. She found out the hard way that that when Amazon stated "Waterproof (IPX8), tested to withstand immersion in 2 meters of fresh water for 60 minutes", they meant it. Her bath water with a bath bomb and a cup or so of Epson salts did not qualify as fresh water and her warranty was voided though they did offer a $50 Cdn credit/gift card towards her next ereader purchase.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-18-2020 at 12:59 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:23 AM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I also only take showers.
Same here. I had to take about 10 baths when I hurt my knee about 14 years ago. That's the last I've taken a bath — and I hadn't taken one before that for (probably) 35 years. Always showers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:58 AM   #39
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Not into the bath....

But my wife did throw my Jetbook Mini into the sea - neither it nor the SD card had survived the experience when I recovered it at low tide.

It was an accident - I forgave her at once. But it's far too good a story to forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BookInSea.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	184098  
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Reading in the bath must be a thing, Amazon never fails to mention this use case in their product descriptions for Oasis and Paperwhite. But it is not my thing.
It makes a nice marketing item.

Read by candle light in the tub, no need for bright lights with the paperlight frontlight.

Read by the pool, at the beach, sitting in the shade under a big oak tree, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Even if fresh water gets inside you still have a chance of it working when it dries out. If salt water gets into it the corrosion starts immediately.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #42
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I think the key is to turn the device off immediately, so it's worth knowing how to do that. On a laptop/PC, one presses and holds the power button. Not sure how to do that on an ereader.

Edit: on my Onyx, it's press and hold. It then offers three choices or reboot, shut down etc. Hopefully I can hit that OFF and the screen works when its wet

A friend of mine's cat spilled coffee on her laptop. Wisely, she shut it down. Unwisely, her husband decided later to try turning it on. Bzzzzzz.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 12-18-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #43
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Edit: on my Onyx, it's press and hold. It then offers three choices or reboot, shut down etc. Hopefully I can hit that OFF and the screen works when its wet
The device shuts down directly when the power button is pressed for about 10-15 seconds
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #44
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was given a pager at work (remember those?) and it once came off my belt and fell into the toilet. When I asked for a replacement the woman who managed the pagers said that she'd worked at a hospital doing the same job and she said you'd never believe the number of doctors whose pagers fell in the toilet.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I do know one person who reads in the bath. She loves using bath salts/bath bombs/etc. Sadly when her Oasis 3 fell into the tub, it died horribly. She found out the hard way that that when Amazon stated "Waterproof (IPX8), tested to withstand immersion in 2 meters of fresh water for 60 minutes", they meant it. Her bath water with a bath bomb and a cup or so of Epson salts did not qualify as fresh water and her warranty was voided though they did offer a $50 Cdn credit/gift card towards her next ereader purchase.
And the heat/steam is also not good for a Reader. Does anyone know if heat/steam can damage the waterproofing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote