Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 AM   #16
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Very disappointing, but unfortunately not surprising. I do hope it is just a temporary glitch. Whatever the reason, I highly recommend Calibre to keep your own copy of everything you purchase.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Where would someone find the BN-Dload20121119 script? I could find greasemonkey ok but after that I got lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've installed Greasemonkey but I don't know where to find this script. Google doesn't seem to be my friend here. I didn't know Barnes & Noble had done this. Apparently they delight in finding ways to drive me to Amazon.
I sent you guys PM's with the code copied into a code box. You can look it over and decide if you feel it's safe enough to install. It's copied from a file named 152985.user.js. It was in my Firefox Profile folder under "Gm_scripts\BN-Dload". You can find where the Firefox Profile folder on your computer is by typing "about:support" in the address bar of Firefox.

I suspect the script has to be actively installed somehow, rather than just copied to the folder....Greasemonkey's Wiki offers instructions at http://wiki.greasespot.net/Greasemon...alling_Scripts.

It's 3:30 AM where I am and I have GOT to head to bed....have to be at work by 10 tomorrow. I hope you can get it to work. I went ahead and downloaded the last of the books I hadn't yet, just in case the buttons disappear forever, and they figure out a way to block this script
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Very disappointing, but unfortunately not surprising. I do hope it is just a temporary glitch. Whatever the reason, I highly recommend Calibre to keep your own copy of everything you purchase.
I usually do. And I downloaded everything except a few 'sample' files and one or two that never did really download even from the site so I have some new backups that I can convert (for use on my Kindle).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I usually do. And I downloaded everything except a few 'sample' files and one or two that never did really download even from the site so I have some new backups that I can convert (for use on my Kindle).
Excellent. The so-called "cloud" services are very convenient but this sort of thing is the downside.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Bye bye Nook books.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I usually get my epub books over at Kobo though if I can't find what I'm looking for there I do go to B&N. As long as I can download a book via the Nook for PC app and convert it I'll still buy from B&N if they have what I want. If/when they take even that away from me it will be time to part company though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Userscripts moved to http://userscripts-mirror.org/ because of a lot of malicious scripts being uploaded. Not sure this site will fare much better, but it could take awhile to reach the point where userscripts.org gave up. A lot of the older scripts were moved over to the new site as well.

I checked B&N and there's a few comic books that still have a download link, but it seems all ebooks purchased can only be read instantly. I have the original Greasemonkey script that I installed about 1.5+ years ago, and the code is below if you just want to create your own file. The script itself is named 152985.user.js and located in BN-Dload directory. I noticed there's a few books it doesn't work on though*, but the majority of my books can still be downloaded via the Alternative Download link that the script gives you for each book.

I'm glad the first thing I do when I purchase books from anywhere is to removed DRM for when stores do things like this or go the way of the Dodo bird.

*Edit: Actually I logged back in and reloaded the page with my library and all books can now be downloaded again using the script. Maybe my session timed out when I first tried.

And oops, I missed that FizzyWater basically had the same info, but here's the script without dealing with PMs (unless this violates a forum rule, and I'm sure I'll find out soon ).

Spoiler:

// ==UserScript==
// @name BN-Dload
// @namespace http://www.mailinator.com/J-man
// @include https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/library.html*
// @include https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/productDetail.html*
// @grant none
// @version 20121119
// ==/UserScript==

function doIt() {
if ($('#adl1').length == 0) {
$('[action$="deleteItem"]').each(function(index) {
if ($(this).parent().find('[action$="EDSDeliverItem.aspx"]').length == 0) {
var delid = $(this).find('input').attr('value');
$(this).after('<span class="vb2"></span><form id="adl' + index + '" action="https://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/EDSDeliverItem.aspx" class="download"><input value="' + delid + '" type="hidden" name="delid"><input type="hidden" value="Browser" name="clienttype"><input type="hidden" value="browser" name="deviceinfo"><button class="download "name="download">Alternative Download</button></form>');
}
});

}

setTimeout (function() {
doIt();
}, 3000 );
}

doIt();

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-18-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- I was able to download my (Fictionwise) titles via the Nook for Android App on my Fire HD tablet. (Very fast--I may have been the only person downloading at the time. ) They imported fine into Aldiko. (Plus, I have disinfected backups.) I need not deal with B&N ever again. Not that I ever dealt much with them anyway.

2- I can't get into the US nook ebook site at all on my tablet. I can get fine into the UK site. I have no books there, of course. I'm not in the mood to go fire up the PC.

3- It is probably another glitch, the likes of which they are having too many for my taste.

Edit: tried again and was able to force it to give me the Nook site instead of redirecting it to B&N.com.
Logged in.
No download links.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-18-2014 at 08:22 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I sent you guys PM's with the code copied into a code box. You can look it over and decide if you feel it's safe enough to install. It's copied from a file named 152985.user.js.
Thanks. I responded to your PM but you should also get public recognition. Installed the script, restarted Firefox, and it works fine. Now I'll see if I can it working under Chrome on my Linux box (currently using my wife's Windows' machine).

Update: Can't find a Greasemonkey add-on for Chrome, so just used Firefox on Linux and everything works fine. Actually, as slow as Chrome is getting lately, I might just go back to Firefox. Thanks for giving me back features (and a bit more) that B&N should not have taken away.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-18-2014 at 08:44 AM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
3- It is probably another glitch, the likes of which they are having too many for my taste.
I've had the download button disappear for individual books (or not be available for many, many hours after purchasing) quite a few times over the last couple of years. Often enough to make me a bit leery, and make B&N my last choice for buying epubs. I'm pretty-much Kobo or Google Books these days. And if Kobo gets much worse with tricking me into buying their kepub-only monstrosities, they'll go by the wayside too.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Edit: tried again and was able to force it to give me the Nook site instead of redirecting it to B&N.com.
Logged in.
No download links.
The Greasemonkey script works in Firefox. (Actually, as was mentioned, it works better than original, because you also get download links for Archived items.) But we shouldn't have to come up with a workaround. I guess Barnes & Noble is serious about dumping their ebook market. At least that seems to be their plan.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #27
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
You can also download through the nook Study program.
It's clunkier than the original nook for PC, but it does work. (nook for PC stopped working for me a while ago and I had to switch.)
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But we shouldn't have to come up with a workaround. I guess Barnes & Noble is serious about dumping their ebook market. At least that seems to be their plan.
They aren't giving out good vibes, going into the crucial holiday shopping season...
Their fate (and Nook Media sale price) hinges on having a good holiday season.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #29
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I went to install Nook Study as a workaround, but it seems to have been replaced by something called Yuzu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
You can also download through the nook Study program.
It's clunkier than the original nook for PC, but it does work. (nook for PC stopped working for me a while ago and I had to switch.)

Last edited by dandelioncottage; 09-18-2014 at 09:44 AM.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #30
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Just tweeted my annoyance to @NOOK_Care, and this is their reply:

"The ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So I guess the ability to download to your computer is gone for good.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote