Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeward View Post
Question: Does your 1.04SD rescue or your new modified package completely revert a prs-t1 back to 100% stock ? or is there something left behind ?
There may be something left behind: the kernel/initrd. I don't touch it yet. But it is easy to include. Kernel is replaced if enable ADB package is applied.

Also if you changed other partitions / contents like root filesystem partition, etc, then the recovery won't restore it. But these things should be unaltered, unless you messed them manually.

The only device specific thing is a serial that is stored in the boot sector if I remember correctly. This is not touched by sd recovery, nor by any root set.

A good thing after 1.04 sd recovery is to do a 1.04 firmware upgrade. This will replace the kernel with the stock kernel.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
Leeward
Leeward began at the beginning.

Device: NookSTG, Kobo Aura 2 H20 Version 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
There may be something left behind: the kernel/initrd. I don't touch it yet. But it is easy to include. Kernel is replaced if enable ADB package is applied.

A good thing after 1.04 sd recovery is to do a 1.04 firmware upgrade. This will replace the kernel with the stock kernel.

Thanks for the info.

I did a restore with your alternative "sd rescue porkupan" and did an image backup so that I could easily try rupor's root against a backup made after your original 1.04 SD rescue and your alternative version.

After using the alternative version:
Initialization worked correctly, after selecting Settings-->Initialization-->restore defaults
rupor's Root package works correctly.

All I did was restore, restore defaults, then install rupor's root.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to test against the other backup, because my wife is using the reader again.. but i'll post the result once I test, if you are interested.

thanks again for your work.

Last edited by Leeward; 06-16-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Leeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
HeXenEoN
HeXenEoN began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Keyboard, Sony PRS T1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
Ok, so at least the 'corrupted' 1.04 sd recovery image did not cause corruption in practise...

I created an alternative image now, that only formats the reader partition and flashes data and system partition with images from porkupans 1.04 restore package:

sdrescue_1.04_porkupan.7z (72.332.505 Bytes)

I also did some minor modifications that hopefully fix the reboot issue.
uboot please edit the first post of this thread and add the above file as another option...
HeXenEoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
HeXenEoN

used the rescue package, the first one..

device didn't rebooted even after 3 hours with SD card LED still flashing.. so made a hard reset.. now device is successfully restored except it ask for initialization settings on every start up...

will report later after trying the second rescue package...
Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
HeXenEoN

tried sdrescue_1.04_porkupan package same thing happened like the one before.. device didn't reboot with sd card LED flashing, so did a hard reset after 1 hour.. now it is working fine, no initialization settings on start up..
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
giovaorama
giovaorama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
In my case the sd led never flash!!!
The power led is flashing endless and after reboot i'm always in the messed state (the circular arrows continuosly turn until I press reset or reboot).

rupor suggest me to manually overwrite the partition using a fresh image but: I can't figure out how to use the script that he suggest me to extract the image from the sony upgrade file and the where I should "dd" it in which device?

I think to use the update.img from your sd_rescue (I try also the last one but it behaves like the previus, that is, it doesn't do nothing in my case) but it's size seems strange to me, but I may misunderstand something (this i sure).

Any idea on how to manually force (with a key sequence) the "data transfer mode" of the reader?
giovaorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
don't ever try to flash the update.img directly to the reader!!! it is sort of a linux live boot image. it's only purpose is to boot up linux from sd card and then flash the reader with images contained inside update.img.

you should take a restore set meant to be installed via USB. It will contain system.img and data.img which have to be flashed to the system and data partitions respectively.

are you able to boot into recovery mode? then it should be possible to safely flash the reader with some standard partition tool via computer / usb gadget connection:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178199

via data transfer mode you won't be able to flash the reader cause it does not give you direct access to flash memory, but to the file system only.

Last edited by uboot; 06-21-2012 at 03:45 PM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
giovaorama

Ok, I'm connected through usb gadget... but I can't see any file that I copy on the sd... where should I put them?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
giovaorama

Ok, I made all under linux... the script in the restore-set is self explanatory... I have just to understand that the two partitions are /dev/sdfd9 and /dev/sdfd10
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
@uboot, 2nd package worked, doesn't show the initialization screen every time it reboot now.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #26
HeXenEoN

Exclamation

I think the restore package operation is endless in ma case..

after hard resetting I found that residues of rooting still resides in the system partition..

any other method to completely factory restore the device?

what about the factory initialize option in test mode as mentioned in sony service manual (link) ?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXenEoN View Post
I think the restore package operation is endless in ma case..

after hard resetting I found that residues of rooting still resides in the system partition..

any other method to completely factory restore the device?

what about the factory initialize option in test mode as mentioned in sony service manual (link) ?
Advice for you guys who are using the sd recovery, do not reset the device until the LED light on the SD Card reader stops. This may sometimes take 3+ hours (I just let it churn overnight). The recovery does work, but it took much longer than the 15-20 minutes stated in the instructions.

Once you get it to boot properly, Flash the 1.04 firmware manually again on your device manually, as mentioned here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...pgrade#Generic
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #28
HeXenEoN

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
Advice for you guys who are using the sd recovery, do not reset the device until the LED light on the SD Card reader stops. This may sometimes take 3+ hours (I just let it churn overnight). The recovery does work, but it took much longer than the 15-20 minutes stated in the instructions.

Once you get it to boot properly, Flash the 1.04 firmware manually again on your device manually, as mentioned here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...pgrade#Generic
but the SD card LED remain flashing for a day+ so I hard resetted it and to mention I also manually flashed the 1.04 firmware but the residue still remains

I will see whether it works if I kept the device for a prolonged duration for more than a day+
Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #29
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
What may be the technical cause for SD rescue to take more than 24 hours?
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #30
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Sorry for double post.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote