Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That I can agree with. Though at times, taking the hammer to the author's computer seems like it would be more useful.
Amen, brother, amen.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yabbut, sometimes, man, that sledgehammer is hard to beat from an emtionally-satisfying standpoint. :-)

God knows, I've seen some books that I'd have LOVED to hammer....

Hitch
I went back to the original code and found that there are not bold/italic that I can see in the main text. It's only in the other stuff that there is some bold/italic but only a small amount. So I'm not bothered with my sledgehammer. It worked very well.

If I wanted to read this I would need to merge the mess and then figure out where to split and then see what else needs to be fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After having a look at the original CSS, there is no bold or italic in the main text that actually matters. I didn't find any bold or italic in the main text. If I am incorrect, please let me know where so I can see the code.
Perhaps you didn't look hard enough. Every <span> with class="CharOverride-4" is italic. There are hundreds of those.

There's also some weird technique used for positioning of the ornamental scenebreak images. Mass deletion of what, at first glance, look like excessive ids will mess those up because CSS is applied by individual id. Look at page Petrified_Minds_TRIPLE_KINDLE_FINAL.mobi-6.xhtml for an example.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #34
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Perhaps you didn't look hard enough. Every <span> with class="CharOverride-4" is italic. There are hundreds of those.
Hence the more surgical approach—deleting known useless style info (absolute positioning), then Calibre EPUB->EPUB conversion.

It's how I typically deal with really atrocious InDesign->EPUBs or Google Docs->EPUB. (If you think InDesign is bad, you should see Google Docs's code!)

Note: Like a few InDesign oddities I've been running across lately:

In some files, InDesign assigns an "Italic" font, but uses "font-style: normal" within the CSS.

So in a clean document, it should look like this:

Code:
<p>This is an <i>italic</i> word.</p>
but InDesign->EPUB may appear like this:

Code:
<p>This is an <span class="CharOverride-4">italic</span> word.</p>
Code:
span.CharOverride-4 {
	font-family:"Minion Pro Italic";
	font-style:normal;     <----- See here. Should say italic.
	font-weight:normal;
}
I'm unsure of how/why...

I've also run across similar in some DOCXs I've gotten from authors. Toxaris's EPUBTools doesn't handle these types of wrongly-styled fonts properly, but he is aware of the issue (and I believe he was working on it for the next release).

If you just mass throw away <span>s/fonts without looking closely, you'd also lose this sort of information.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; Yesterday at 09:18 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:07 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Hence the more surgical approach—deleting known useless style info (absolute positioning), then Calibre EPUB->EPUB conversion.

It's how I typically deal with really atrocious InDesign->EPUBs or Google Docs->EPUB. (If you think InDesign is bad, you should see Google Docs's code!)

Note: Like a few InDesign oddities I've been running across lately:

In some files, InDesign assigns an "Italic" font, but uses "font-style: normal" within the CSS.

So in a clean document, it should look like this:

Code:
<p>This is an <i>italic</i> word.</p>
but InDesign->EPUB may appear like this:

Code:
<p>This is an <span class="CharOverride-4">italic</span> word.</p>
Code:
span.CharOverride-4 {
	font-family:"Minion Pro Italic";
	font-style:normal;     <----- See here. Should say italic.
	font-weight:normal;
}
I'm unsure of how/why...

I've also run across similar in some DOCXs I've gotten from authors. Toxaris's EPUBTools doesn't handle these types of wrongly-styled fonts properly, but he is aware of the issue (and I believe he was working on it for the next release).

If you just mass throw away <span>s/fonts without looking closely, you'd also lose this sort of information.

I don't know the reasoning, but we see this all--all--the time. It depends a lot on the training of the InDesigner, and also, what font files s/he is using. If you use Adobe's built-in (cloud) fonts, then you will get exactly that cruft--you'll get a span calling the "italic" (Font! Not simply italicization, right?).

The Indesigner has to be careful, in order to get what we think of as:

Code:
<i>italicized text</i>
Otherwise, you get the span calling the font FACE.

I've never bothered to experiment to find the "best" way, because speaking bluntly, we get files from all the corners of the globe. It's a miracle if we don't see 35-50 "character overrides" in a file, so my standards have changed, let's just say.

We had a file today that my Queen o'Quotes described as "not bad" (in INDD standards, right?). She then added "no paragraph styles, but other than that, pretty clean."

Sheesh, talk about lowered standards, for the love of heaven....

I agree that GDocs are actually worse.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote