Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre adding blank pages before and after KFX conversion

As title says. I attached photos to make it easier to understand what I am talking about.
Mobileread won't finish uploading!
https://ibb.co/smKjps0
https://ibb.co/PxKM8DR

I only select one option while converting which is "Create approximate page numbers." I am converting from epub to KFX.

Last edited by morty92222; 04-28-2021 at 04:22 PM.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
morty92222
Enthusiast

So I disabled that option and the blank pages are still there but that one with the camera picture is gone.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
The 9-panel page flip view always starts showing the current page in the center. If the current page is the first or last one then the panels before/after are filled with dots in that view to indicate that there is nothing there. Those dotted panels do not represent not blank pages.

The camera icon is something that Amazon inserts when there is a link to a non-existent image in the book. That is most likely due to something wrong with the original file being converted from. I don't see how page numbering could be involved.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The 9-panel page flip view always starts showing the current page in the center. If the current page is the first or last one then the panels before/after are filled with dots in that view to indicate that there is nothing there. Those dotted panels do not represent not blank pages.

The camera icon is something that Amazon inserts when there is a link to a non-existent image in the book. That is most likely due to something wrong with the original file being converted from. I don't see how page numbering could be involved.
Thank you for the explanation. When I disabled that option the camera picture disappeared. Is there a way to know what is missing? Also, I noticed some books have a cover that fills kindle screen and another that has blank area on right and left. How do I make the one that takes up the entire screen?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
When I disabled that option the camera picture disappeared. Is there a way to know what is missing?
Check for errors and warnings in the conversion log. If you are starting from an EPUB or AZW3 file you can open your source file in the calibre ebook editor and use the "Run check" feature to check for problems.

Quote:
TAlso, I noticed some books have a cover that fills kindle screen and another that has blank area on right and left. How do I make the one that takes up the entire screen?
To have a cover fill the screen you need to use an image with the same aspect ratio as the display on your device. Here is a blog post with some guidance: How to Choose the Right Book Cover Dimensions
Old 05-04-2021, 03:12 AM   #6
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Check for errors and warnings in the conversion log. If you are starting from an EPUB or AZW3 file you can open your source file in the calibre ebook editor and use the "Run check" feature to check for problems.

To have a cover fill the screen you need to use an image with the same aspect ratio as the display on your device. Here is a blog post with some guidance: How to Choose the Right Book Cover Dimensions
Thank you for clarifying. I got the cover right. However, calibre still put that weird image at the end of KFX. I used it to check for errors or broken links but everything checks out.

Any idea how to further investigate?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
jhowell
Wizard

Quote:
However, calibre still put that weird image at the end of KFX. I used it to check for errors or broken links but everything checks out.

Any idea how to further investigate?
Try disabling the option to replace the cover during conversion. (Uncheck "Use cover from source file" in the Metadata tab.) I have seen cases where replacing the cover causes problems if the cover image is linked to from within the book's text or its table of contents.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Try disabling the option to replace the cover during conversion. (Uncheck "Use cover from source file" in the Metadata tab.) I have seen cases where replacing the cover causes problems if the cover image is linked to from within the book's text or its table of contents.
Unfortunately, I has just tried that and that broken link image still shows up at the end of the ebook. Is its position (the very end) signifies anything?
Old 05-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #9
jhowell
Wizard

Another idea is to try converting to EPUB, even if your original book is in that format, and then check the resulting file for problems.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Another idea is to try converting to EPUB, even if your original book is in that format, and then check the resulting file for problems.
This is a great idea. I'll try this as soon as I get back home. Thank you.

Tags
calibre, conversion, kfx, kindle