Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2020, 05:25 AM   #46
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Plan B:
Use older version of DeDRM that still works as standalone application.
I only started using the Calibre plug-in because at some point the standalone version stopped working for me and I couldn't figure out what to do! The plug-in never fully suited my workflow, and I always lamented the lack of the standalone approach.

Which version still works and are there any limitations/downsides? Are there any other relevant considerations?
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #47
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It wouldn't surprise me that much if calibre portable worked in wine on Linux.
Calibre-portable works for me in linux mint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	328
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	182285  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #48
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
I only started using the Calibre plug-in because at some point the standalone version stopped working for me and I couldn't figure out what to do! The plug-in never fully suited my workflow, and I always lamented the lack of the standalone approach.

Which version still works and are there any limitations/downsides? Are there any other relevant considerations?
The updated version is 6.8.0 of June 18, 2020
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #49
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
The updated version is 6.8.0 of June 18, 2020
That version doesn't appear to have a standalone app in it.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
That version doesn't appear to have a standalone app in it.

Jim
Mind, the last version that actually worked easily standalone was the one before KFX support was added (6.5.5?).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #51
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post

I've never understood the reason for not having a standalone version. I started using it shortly after the standalone version went away, but would MUCH prefer it to be standalone as I don't really use Calibre to manage my library, but rather as a toolbox full of command line utilities that allow me to do various things.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #52
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've never understood the reason for not having a standalone version. I started using it shortly after the standalone version went away, but would MUCH prefer it to be standalone as I don't really use Calibre to manage my library, but rather as a toolbox full of command line utilities that allow me to do various things.
The next version should have support for the DeDRM plugin in ebook-convert (and probably other tools that act on ebook files directly).

Edit: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ools/pull/1241

Last edited by mbovenka; 09-28-2020 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added link to Github
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #53
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
How did my thread title end up all caps? I'm not usually that shouty.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #54
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
mea culpa - if I could I'd make it blink and sing 'Look at me'.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #55
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
And people would still fail to notice it.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #56
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
And people would still fail to notice it.
Terry Pratchett had the solution:

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

DO NOT READ THIS THREAD! STAY AWAY!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #57
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
DRM plug-in No Longer Working?

I purchase 10+ books a week from the Amazon Empire but store them in Calibre long term. All of a sudden the DeDRM is busted and I get syntax errors trying to install the latest version. I assume this has to do with the recent "upgrade" to switch Python versions(?)

Any idea if this is going to work again or do I have to back-off versions and freeze like I had to with the Kindle app?
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
I purchase 10+ books a week from the Amazon Empire but store them in Calibre long term. All of a sudden the DeDRM is busted and I get syntax errors trying to install the latest version. I assume this has to do with the recent "upgrade" to switch Python versions(?)

Any idea if this is going to work again or do I have to back-off versions and freeze like I had to with the Kindle app?
Do you run Windows? If so, there's a simple solution to your problem. Keep version 5 installed but also install the 4.23 portable version. Use the portable version to add DRMed eBooks to your library and the 6.8.0 version of DeDRM will work with the 4.23 portable version.

Copy your settings directory in the Calibre Portable directory and reinstall DeDRM 6.8.0. Then you can use 4.23 to remove DRM and 5.x for everything else.

Do not install any earlier version portable besides 4.23 as earlier versions are not compatible with the 5.x database. There is already a post someplace on MR showing that a version earlier then 4.23 crashing because it's no longer compatible with the 5.x database.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #59
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you run Windows? If so, there's a simple solution to your problem. Keep version 5 installed but also install the 4.23 portable version. Use the portable version to add DRMed eBooks to your library and the 6.8.0 version of DeDRM will work with the 4.23 portable version.
Unless you plan to use the new features of calibre 5 right away (mainly annotations in the reader) an even simpler solution is to uninstall calibre 5 and re-install calibre 4.23 for now.

There is an effort to update DeDRM in progress, so hopefully the current situation will be temporary.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Unless you plan to use the new features of calibre 5 right away (mainly annotations in the reader) an even simpler solution is to uninstall calibre 5 and re-install calibre 4.23 for now.

There is an effort to update DeDRM in progress, so hopefully the current situation will be temporary.
Yes, that would work. I have 4.23 fully installed and 5.x portable installed for testing plugins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dedrm