Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it means there have been no updates for any of the other devices for a year now. But, you could get away with using the previous 4.x updates. Trying this with 4.2.8283 is likely to lead to problems. But, it is unlikely to cause the device to be bricked. The changes are in the graphics handling code. It probably means display problems and crashes but nothing worse than that. And the Aura H2O is probably one of the most affected, especially if you use one of the nightmode hacks.
Why would the H2O be one of the most affected?

Is Kobo still working out the bugs before releasing to the older models?

Does 4.2.8283 work for the Glo HD?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #32
akiyamakazumi
akiyamakazumi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura edition2, Kobo H20, Kobo Forma, kobo Clara HD
If I turn the lighting to auto, it will turn the light to 0% and light up and turn 0% again and again... so I just set the lighting level myself... T.T
akiyamakazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #33
akiyamakazumi
akiyamakazumi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura edition2, Kobo H20, Kobo Forma, kobo Clara HD
Have a most frustrating thing: I close the book put the device at sleep mode, I turn on the device, open the book, the page is glitch, it will go to the beginning of the chapter I'm reading, turn to next page will go to the beginning of the next chapter instead of next page...
akiyamakazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A rumour from the usual well informed source to the effect that the Aura H20 and original Aura Mark 5 hardware kernel has some issues that affect hardware rendering.

Quote:
Consulting my trusty crystal ball... I see "Please wait, your call will be serviced in the order received. Expected waiting time is 48 hours...".

I would expect to see firmware updates for the older Kobo models. With that opinion and $3 Cdn, you can enjoy a Tim Horton's coffee and donut.

Quote:
I've put 4.2.8283 on one Glo HD. No issues seen in the last hour though most of that was spent watching tennis not reading.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 AM   #35
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's surprising. I ran in that mode with the betas for a while with no problems. There must be an extra check somewhere. Did it happen after restarting the device? I have a feeling it sometimes does a compress during the startup. It might also "fix" the journal mode at the same time.
It happens right there in firefox with the SQLite manager running. As I start Calibre it tries to detect the Kobo and even after I have changed the journal mode I get the 'encrypted' error message. What I had to do was after Calibre didn't recognize the db, change it again and use the kobo plugin to get the db info again. Then I could see what was on the Glo HD and continue. If I ejected the Glo HD and plugged it in again I had to start the whole procedure over again.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I like DNSB's response to this.
Quote:
Kobo is still developing and testing firmware on all devices from the Touch onwards. They are just concentrating on the Aura ONE at the moment.
Quote:
Probably. I haven't tried it yet but I have the last beta before this release on my Glo HD. I'm not going to say it will work because using any of the firmware packages, or parts of them, on devices they are not intended for could have bad results. I've been a bit lax in adding this warning recently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A rumour from the usual well informed source to the effect that the Aura H20 and original Aura Mark 5 hardware kernel has some issues that affect hardware rendering.
Are these issues going to be fixed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #38
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclewis View Post
I second bad battery drain. I am going back to 4.2.8110
Phil, this is a big concern.

Hopefully, someone here will have more samplings or answers on this.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #39
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
KA1

Yeah, went back to 4.2.8110 and the battery drain went away. Works good. The new one went back to old behavior in sleep mode. Was the new firmware faster? I can't say for sure.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #40
Claude_C
Fanatic
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Question

I had a Kobo Aura, a Kobo HD, a Kindle Paper White, and a Kobo H20 since it came out.

I come on this forum often to read the experiences of users, tips and tricks, new firmware, etc.

People seems to have so much problems with the Aura One...

I wonder if my next device should be a Kindle. Do they have that many problems too ?
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #41
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
your sample is biased, people come to the forums with issues. They do not come to the forum to sing the praises of a perfectly functioning device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #42
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
KA!

The KA1 had some issues with sleep mode and battery drain that were resolved in the first 4.2.8110 firmware. This latest one may have been a Beta version, as it did not automatically sync on my device. I loaded it anyway and simply went back to the 4.2.8110. It works.

I have had Sony, and Kobo. My sister has Kindle. I can tell you that the KA1 with the 4.2.8110 is the best reader if you like a slightly larger screen. If you do a lot of pdf, read on a tablet. For reading books, the KA1 is for me the best. Readers are very personal. I am pretty tech savvy and prefer ePub to Amazon azw3. I also like the ability to side load files more easily on the Kobo. Amazon and Apple are a little too closed for many of us. Try to find a file on either device.

Phil

Last edited by pclewis; 01-19-2017 at 03:23 PM.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #43
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
your sample is biased, people come to the forums with issues. They do not come to the forum to sing the praises of a perfectly functioning device.
bigger screen smaller battery, smart idea not.

i'm no more or less biased than any other kobo owner.

embrace the diversity

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 01-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #44
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post

i'm no more or less biased than any other kobo owner.

embrace the diversity

best wishes koboy
Putting aside that that wasn't the meaning of bias intended, which I think is clear from the original post. The battery on my KA1 lasts for around a month. it takes less than 2 hours to charge from 0 to 100. I'm happy with that, others might not be, but it's hardly a crippling issue with the KA1.

I can literally charge my KA1 while I get ready for the day, and be good for a month. I charge my phone every night, I charge my watch every night (smart watch), charging an ereader once a month? Yeah lets call the presses on this horrible idea not.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #45
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
Not. Batteries in readers are too big. They're bulky and heavy, exactly the things that portable and mobile devices should not be. Much larger screen and about the same weight as Aura H2O or Kindle Oasis (with cover) is brilliant.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote