Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Firmware 4.2.8110 for Aura One - Discussion thread

Aura One;
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.2.8110.zip

http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/56

Edit: Kobo changed the release notes URL to 56 from 54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There are quite a few other improvements. You should notice improved battery life, the auto brightness should be less twitchy, an option to Repair your Kobo account (Settings => Device Information => Repair...) which is handy if your ereader and your Kobo account do not show the same books.

Other items are not fixed -- try doing a search on Kobo and then Show: Overdrive and note that none of the search options work -- Title A to Z or Title Z to A give the same results for example. My sleep cover has gotten better but still not 100%

OTOH, you can now add a book to your wishlist from the ereader. You win some, you lose some.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As people have discovered, Kobo have release firmware version 4.2.8110. This is only being released for the Kobo Aura ONE and Kobo Aura Edition 2. It should be safe on the other devices, but it's up to you to take the risk. Hopefully something will be released for the other devices early in the new year.

The following is a list of changes Kobo posted in the beta list plus things I can remember seeing:
  • Wishlist added to the store.
  • Battery drain improvements for Kobo Aura ONE. Some of these changes affect the other devices. I haven't had any unusual battery drain on any of my devices with the betas for 4.2.
  • Auto Brightness improvements for Kobo Aura ONE.
  • Made many improvements to help ensure your library state and contents are correct.
  • Added a Repair option available under [Settings > Device information], in case you still seem to be missing a book.
  • Lots of fixes and changes in the Overdrive support.

There has a release of the Kobo Desktop. the Windows version is 4.2.6122 and the macOS is 4.2.4917. The changes include:
  • Kobo Desktop visual refresh – new app icon and colour palette
  • Made many improvements to help ensure your library state and contents are correct
  • Added a Repair option available under [Account > Repair Kobo Account], in case you still seem to be missing a book

The Repair option mentioned is to fix problems with purchased books. When this is used, all the purchased books are removed from the device and downloaded again. It will take a while if you have a lot of books. You will be prompted before it starts.

The calibre driver has been updated to accept this firmware version. This will be in the next release of calibre. As there are no changes needed other than bumping the version number, you can safely use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the driver until the release is made.

Last edited by freekobo; 12-15-2016 at 06:21 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
If you finish a borrowed book before it expires, you can now return it early to make it available for other patrons.
WOW - two people can't borrow an ebook at the same time. I guess the technology isn't quite there yet.

Thanks for posting about the update though btw. Being able to find out when the latest updates are released was one of my main reasons for joining this forum.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
WOW - two people can't borrow an ebook at the same time. I guess the technology isn't quite there yet.
Well, of course they can. But the number of licenses the library is allowed to use might be limited, so this feature makes sense.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Thanks for posting about the update though btw. Being able to find out when the latest updates are released was one of my main reasons for joining this forum.
That depends on the library. Like real books, libraries purchase a limited number of copies of digital books that all of their patrons can access. Some libraries only purchase a single copy for their entire membership. So if you've signed out the only copy, the only thing that other patrons can do is place a hold on that copy until you return the book or it expires.

Sent from my T012 using Tapatalk
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Is there no other modification than Overdrive - which isn't available in France anyway? I was really hoping for an improvement in responsiveness among other things.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Is there no other modification than Overdrive - which isn't available in France anyway? I was really hoping for an improvement in responsiveness among other things.
I know. I was really hoping for some improvement.

I recommend spending some time near a black hole, if you get the chance.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Everything to do with how much the library is willing to spend and zilch to do with the technology. The majority of the ebooks at my local library are set up to allow a single loan (the lowest cost option) with more popular books set up to allow more simultaneous loans depending on how much the library was willing to spend -- often the number will decrease over time as the book becomes less popular. Their free ebooks collection allows unlimited loans.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
There are quite a few other improvements. You should notice improved battery life, the auto brightness should be less twitchy, an option to Repair your Kobo account (Settings => Device Information => Repair...) which is handy if your ereader and your Kobo account do not show the same books.

Other items are not fixed -- try doing a search on Kobo and then Show: Overdrive and note that none of the search options work -- Title A to Z or Title Z to A give the same results for example. My sleep cover has gotten better but still not 100%

OTOH, you can now add a book to your wishlist from the ereader. You win some, you lose some.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As people have discovered, Kobo have release firmware version 4.2.8110. This is only being released for the Kobo Aura ONE and Kobo Aura Edition 2. It should be safe on the other devices, but it's up to you to take the risk. Hopefully something will be released for the other devices early in the new year.

The following is a list of changes Kobo posted in the beta list plus things I can remember seeing:
  • Wishlist added to the store.
  • Battery drain improvements for Kobo Aura ONE. Some of these changes affect the other devices. I haven't had any unusual battery drain on any of my devices with the betas for 4.2.
  • Auto Brightness improvements for Kobo Aura ONE.
  • Made many improvements to help ensure your library state and contents are correct.
  • Added a Repair option available under [Settings > Device information], in case you still seem to be missing a book.
  • Lots of fixes and changes in the Overdrive support.

There has a release of the Kobo Desktop. the Windows version is 4.2.6122 and the macOS is 4.2.4917. The changes include:
  • Kobo Desktop visual refresh – new app icon and colour palette
  • Made many improvements to help ensure your library state and contents are correct
  • Added a Repair option available under [Account > Repair Kobo Account], in case you still seem to be missing a book

The Repair option mentioned is to fix problems with purchased books. When this is used, all the purchased books are removed from the device and downloaded again. It will take a while if you have a lot of books. You will be prompted before it starts.

The calibre driver has been updated to accept this firmware version. This will be in the next release of calibre. As there are no changes needed other than bumping the version number, you can safely use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the driver until the release is made.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[*]Battery drain improvements for Kobo Aura ONE. Some of these changes affect the other devices.
In a good way, or a bad way? Or essentially no change?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
In a good way, or a bad way? Or essentially no change?
Is there a reason you didn't quote the complete point. What I said was:

So yes, in a good way. But, remember the overall battery runtime of the Aura ONE will be lower than the previous devices because it has a much smaller battery. Hopefully these fixes will get the device to the point where it meets what Kobo claims.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Sleep

I have the Kobo sleepcover that was not too dependable so I put it to sleep with the switch. The new firmware seems to make the cover more reliable. Will test more however.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclewis View Post
I have the Kobo sleepcover that was not too dependable so I put it to sleep with the switch. The new firmware seems to make the cover more reliable. Will test more however.
The new firmware is more reliable but still not 100%. I still get the text selection or page turns randomly. Since I use the power switch for screenshots 90% of the time, I pretty much need the sleepcover to put my KA1 to sleep without having to wait 5 minutes.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #14
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Is there a reason you didn't quote the complete point.
Only because I wanted some clarification. You said you didn't notice any unusual drain, but did that mean there was an increase in some cases or just no difference? Or not enough data to make any conclusions? Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Patch for this Firmware as yet?

Has anyone and its a long shot with the busy holidays upon us!, had a chance to work out the patch tweaks as yet?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote