Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Am I using Search correctly?

After the morning trying in vain to find out how to convert a Kindle book to EPUB, I tried entering 'DRM' in the Search box. But although it claims to find 500 hits, I found only a single post containing that string.

Where am I going wrong please?

Terry
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For one thing, any post in a thread with DRM in it will return that thread as a search result. If you had selected show posts, it would have given you more results with specific messages.

For another, I would suggest visiting the Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre for about as much help as can be given on MobileRead. For more information, check Apprentice Alf's blog.

Detailed discussion of removing DRM is not permitted on MobileRead. It tends to attract lawyers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
After the morning trying in vain to find out how to convert a Kindle book to EPUB, I tried entering 'DRM' in the Search box. But although it claims to find 500 hits, I found only a single post containing that string.
If you need detailed help, go to Apprentice Alf's blog, download the version of the DeDRM plugin you need for the version of Calibre you are running. Version 7.0.3 while still in beta works with Mobi, KF8, and ePub. So you'd be able to convert Kindle eBooks to ePub. You would need Calibre 5.x for that one. For Calibre 4.23, you'd want DeDRM 6.8.1.

If you need help on how to configure/use the DeDRM plugin, see the comments section of the blog to ask for help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thanks, I’ll study that referenced link, although I suspect it’s one of the scores I’ve researched today. I think I have the recommended combination of Caibre version, plug-in version(s), and Kindle PC version, (although I encountered a variety of differing suggestions), but I have yet to get a Kindle book converted!

I’m still unclear whether Search works properly. Opening several of those results and then using the search feature in my browser gave no mention of DRM. Anyone able to reproduce the problem please?

Terry
Old 01-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
terrypin
Connoisseur

Thanks @JSWolf, read that moments after replying to @DNSB. Will persist!

Terry
Advert
Old 01-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I’m still unclear whether Search works properly. Opening several of those results and then using the search feature in my browser gave no mention of DRM. Anyone able to reproduce the problem please?

Terry
To find threads with a particular word in the title it's best to use "Advanced Search" with "Search Titles Only" selected. (Actually, it is best to use "Advanced Search" for all searches.)

Also, please attach images instead of embedding them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search.png
Views:	106
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	184841  
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:52 AM   #7
terrypin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
To find threads with a particular word in the title it's best to use "Advanced Search" with "Search Titles Only" selected. (Actually, it is best to use "Advanced Search" for all searches.)
Thanks, I'll do that in future.

Quote:
That too, although I'd assumed embedding was the preferred option, as it is in several of the other forums I use!

Terry

Last edited by terrypin; 01-21-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Quote:

That too, although I'd assumed embedding was the preferred option, as it is in several of the other forums I use!

Terry
I was a bit too terse. I should have written "images larger than 600x600" as per posting guidelines section 9. Avatars, Images and Signatures

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fa...ing_guidelines
Old 01-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
terrypin
Connoisseur

Thanks, understood.

Am I right that to get to the large search dialog (which I assume is what you mean by Advanced) I must d-click the empty search box?

I think that's how I got to it, but now unable to repeat because my 'token has expired' or something like that. But that did allow me to restrict my search for 'DRM' to subject titles only, thanks.

Anyway, I now see that subject is taboo!

Last edited by terrypin; 01-21-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Am I right that to get to the large search dialog (which I assume is what you mean by Advanced) I must d-click the empty search box?

I think that's how I got to it, but now unable to repeat because my 'token has expired' or something like that. But that did allow me to restrict my search for 'DRM' to subject titles only, thanks.

Anyway, I now see that subject is taboo!
Much of the GUI here is unintuitive.

I don't know about double clicking to get to "Advanced Search", but you will find that "Advanced Search" 2 lines below the search box is clickable, and that is how I get to it.

Only the details of digital restrictions removal are forbidden, pointers to Alf or github are allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adv_search.png
Views:	90
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	184854  
Old 01-22-2021, 03:59 AM   #11
terrypin
Connoisseur

Thanks, got it. The one at top right was so obvious that I didn't look further. Left-clicking (not d-clicking) that opens the 'Search Forums' dialog, as does using 'Advanced '.

Re DRM:
Although an experienced end user I'm neither programmer nor github techie. My 400 or so Amazon UK Kindle purchases over the years includes one I'd have liked to convert to EPUB for a friend. But despite methodically following a variety of the posts here I'm still unable to achieve that. I think I'll cut my losses and give in.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Re DRM:
Although an experienced end user I'm neither programmer nor github techie. My 400 or so Amazon UK Kindle purchases over the years includes one I'd have liked to convert to EPUB for a friend. But despite methodically following a variety of the posts here I'm still unable to achieve that. I think I'll cut my losses and give in.
I would suggest not discussing removing DRM to give books to other people. That will attract unwanted attentions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:48 AM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Sometimes you can get better search results using Google rather than a websites built-in search engine.

e.g., Put something like this into Google's search box:

Quote:
remove drm site:mobileread.com
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote