Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Thoughts on the Kobo after a while

I'm posting this here rather than in the Kobo forum, because I thought it might be helpful to those trying to choose. It's not really a review, more some thoughts and impressions.

I was choosing between this and the Sony T1; the Kindle was out of the frame because, much as I like Amazon, I don't like the DRM-driven Kindle model (yes, I know there are ways round that, but I don't like it). Also, frankly, I think the Kindle models look nasty.

I've had a Sony 600 for just over 2 years (thanks to the late lamented UK Borders shops) and I liked it. I also use an iPad (not just for reading), and the backlight has some distinct advantages (no light needed when reading in bed), but it's too big and heavy for comfort sometimes.

E-ink screens have improved a lot in the last 2 years, so I decided to replace the Sony. I chose the Kobo mainly because it was £40 cheaper (around USD60) than the Sony, and the Sony didn't have that much over it to make up the difference.

I like:

- The weight (or lack of it) and overall compact size - it fits into a coat pocket.
- The screen - clear, good contrast, easy to read
- The UI - easy to navigate, del designed
- The choice of font types and sizes, screen layout
- The battery life - I last charged it a week ago and it's used about 20% if the display means anything
- In short, it work well, I've loaded a variety of books onto it - from Kobo, and other sources (including Kindle - don't ask) and it handles them all very well

I don't like:

- The quilted back - it looks cheap
- No categories/folders - not sure why Kobo doesn't give us this - not too hard to implement
- No page turn buttons - makes it harder (not impossible) to use one-handed One-handed use is very important on the London Underground, believe me
- Frequent firmware updates -I like new features, but I don't like bugs. I'd rather wait a bit longer and have Kobo get the bugs out

In summary, I'm very happy with it. Had the Sony been the same price, I might have gone that way for aesthetic reasons.

Hope this help someone
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Have you tried using this with a UK library? I'd be interested to know how you feel that works.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
I don't like:

- No categories/folders - not sure why Kobo doesn't give us this - not too hard to implement
- No page turn buttons - makes it harder (not impossible) to use one-handed One-handed use is very important on the London Underground, believe me
- Frequent firmware updates -I like new features, but I don't like bugs. I'd rather wait a bit longer and have Kobo get the bugs out

In summary, I'm very happy with it. Had the Sony been the same price, I might have gone that way for aesthetic reasons.

Hope this help someone

Hopefully the collections will come soon, they are in the firmware but they aren't active yet, see plug-in thread for details.

How are you turning pages? I can read one handed just fine, I keep my thumb on the bezel and all I have to do is roll it to the side a bit. I never use my pointer to turn pages.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post

I don't like:

Hope this help someone

emphasis mine.

Especially hard to use left handed due to the position of the button.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If you're using the Original or Wifi Kobo, yes button placement makes left handed tough. With the Kobo Touch there is no page turn button and since you can set either the right or left side of the screen to turn forward it, left handed vs right handed use really isn't any different any more.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If you're using the Original or Wifi Kobo, yes button placement makes left handed tough. With the Kobo Touch there is no page turn button and since you can set either the right or left side of the screen to turn forward it, left handed vs right handed use really isn't any different any more.
Umm - it's an issue if you want to page back and forth one-handed, which I do quite a bit with some books - especially non-light reading. On my old Sony, i could use the pair of hardware buttons easily in either hand. Slightly easier left-handed than right, but not much more.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Have you tried using this with a UK library? I'd be interested to know how you feel that works.
Sorry, no.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
nick101
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Hopefully the collections will come soon, they are in the firmware but they aren't active yet, see plug-in thread for details.

How are you turning pages? I can read one handed just fine, I keep my thumb on the bezel and all I have to do is roll it to the side a bit. I never use my pointer to turn pages.
I'm doing more or less what you're doing, and it works OK. Hardware buttons like Sony's are somewhat easier for me. But I can manage.

Thanks for the info about collections - useful to know. Although I'll probably whine about too many firmware updates when it arrives