Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Quiceca
Quiceca began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo aura or Sony?

Hi!

I would like to know if it is easier to transfer epub to a Kobo aura or a Sony? That is the most important thing for me before buying an ereader.

Thanks!
Quiceca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
They both are equally easy when it comes to transferring files.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Quiceca
Quiceca began at the beginning.

Device: none
Both with Calibre? Cause someone told me it was easier to transfer epub files with the Sony. You almost just had to click and drag the files on the computer, but the Kobo was very complicated and you had to use a another program like Adobe something...

But if both are equally easy, which one would you buy? Which one is best quality?

Thx
Quiceca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiceca View Post
Both with Calibre? Cause someone told me it was easier to transfer epub files with the Sony. You almost just had to click and drag the files on the computer, but the Kobo was very complicated and you had to use a another program like Adobe something...

But if both are equally easy, which one would you buy? Which one is best quality?

Thx
These questions now probably belong in 'Readers'

You only need a 3rd party program to load DRM infested files or encrypted Library Loans.

Files without DRM just transfer to any device supporting you existing format.
Calibre helps when you need a format that you don't currently have.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Hi!

I would like to know if it is easier to transfer epub to a Kobo aura or a Sony? That is the most important thing for me before buying an ereader.

Thanks!
I can't tell you about Kobo aura but I have a Sony PRS-T1 and it is indeed just select and send with calibre to transfer files to it. Very easy!

I wouldn't use the sony software to do it though, because then you can only sync both libraries. It takes forever when you have much stuff on your reader. I don't know if they changed that by now but for me it was a no go! With calibre you have no problem there.

I think the more important question should be though, if you want to transfer other informations too? For example: I read much fanfiction or series of books and with Sony these informations (when you have a column for that) will be easy transfered to your reader too and it will automaticlly make an additional collection out of my series column and a collection out of my tag column. Helps me find books from a same series but with different titles or for example all my Hawaii Five-O stories very easy!

I know with Kindle you have to do that with a workaround plugin for calibre. I don't need that for Sony!

So, I think normal transfer is no problem for any reader, transfering more information can be different from reader to reader.

MiniMouse
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The Sony driver in calibre is very mature and what all other drivers aim for. I don't have a Kobo but the driver may well be close to or match the level of the Sony. The developer for the Kobo driver is very active in the development of that driver and I bet the calibre experience is has reasonably easy with the Kobo as it is with the Sony. You can go to the Plugins forum and scroll down the list and review the various Kobo threads.

Personally I waited until there was a way to mimic my Sony experience before moving to another device. I chose an Android tablet and the Calibre Companion App. The app was created by one of the main calibre developers who also put the fine touches on the Sony device driver and made my experience on Android excellent.

I would recommend the Sony device, but Kobo is most likely a fine alternative.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Both with Calibre? Cause someone told me it was easier to transfer epub files with the Sony.

Thx
You were misinformed. I think it must be ridiculously easy to transfer books to any ereader in this day and age (well, maybe less so for the Kindle if you need to convert formats).
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
For my Kobo Glo:

IF a book that I bought has DRM.
1) download the .acsm file
2) open .acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions, let file load, once finished close ADE
3) find and open the folder "My Digital Editions" (on Win7 mine is in "My Documents" folder)
4) find your book, drag and drop it into Calibre
5) click on book and send to Kobo.

Things to have already done: have Apprentice Elf ready in Calibre to remove DRM.

The biggest problem causing all those steps... DRM. Otherwise sending a book to a Kobo is as simple as sending it to a Sony.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote