Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #61
disposable
disposable began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I'm a new iLiad user. I have requested the shell access, connected, downloaded and installed the thing from iRex. Now is there anything that will show that the shell access install is successful? It said downloading, then zipping/installing or something, said complete and then restarted.

I then donloaded the dillio browser, connection manager, manifest and libXp.so.6, unzipped it all and transferred to main memory of iLiad all as described here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software#dillo. But the link to libXp.so.6 that was given on that page is no longer available.
As a result I went here(page 4 of this thread):

Quote:
Antartica
You can download it from:
http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad..._iliad-0.7.zip

Source patches, older versions and tar.gz archives available at:
http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...tartica/dillo/
and downloaded the new version.

And before all of the above, I started my donloads from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...l+access+iliad

So all I want to say is: I love my iLiad and I'm really impressed by all the effort of the developers among the iLiad users. But sincerely speaking it seems all you guys are doing these things for yourselves not for the rest of us that do not know anything about programming/scripts/linux etc.

Why do isn't everything organized into a single page with a clear step by step guide. The entry on the wiki page is good, but one of the links (for libXp.so.6) is not working.

I wish there is a single page dedicated for each application, so that once there is any new version, the old version is deleted immediately. Also, all supporting files should be mentioned withing that same page. So that someone who has not been following these multiple threads for the past 3yrs would easily understand what's going on.

You see I started with a thread. Read all the posts only to realize later that that thread is for an old version of the application. I followed the newer one with some inactive links. I then followed another one that contains a directory with several files with weired extensions that I have no clue what opens them etc.

Consider the way Joomla extensions are organized. You don't have to follow several links to find all you need about an extension. Everything is organized within a single page. Once there is an update, anything old is ramoved.

Consider for instance in one of the links I followed to install this browser, it was mentioned regarding the libXp.so.6:
Quote:
With 2.9 firmware there is no libXp.so.6, so the bundled xset program won't run. You can find a tarfile with it here and copy it into the dillo/lib directory.
Now the 2.12v is available. What if it already updated with this file, but i don't know? I followed the link and the link is dead. I then search online, only to find unlimited results most of which look like this: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...ery=libXp.so.6
I then get confused and wouldnt know waht to do, cos I don't have the vaguest idea what all that means.

I hope you guys understand what I mean. It's really painful to make all these things work on the iLiad for people like me. It took me days to make the wireless connection work. I tried installing the minimo browser, without any success. I also tried installing the file manager by Adam B., also didnt succeed. I think the only thing I managed to install was a mobipocket dictionay lol. So can u guys please take some time and organize your invaluable works, so we could all benefit from it, please?

Thank you all and I wish all of you luck in your various endeavours.
disposable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #62
Luka Trifunovic
Luka Trifunovic began at the beginning.

Device: None
Dillo: ERROR, can't start dpi daemon

Dillo is working but I can't open local files nor use bookmarks. Also I can see just english letters (not even german etc..). When I start dillo from console I get following errors:
./xset: bad font path element (#56), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
dillorc:95: unexpected string constant "force_visited_color", expected symbol
dillo_dns_init: Here we go! (threaded)
Disabling cookies.
Nav_open_url: Url=>about:splash<
Type check: [Srv: text/html Det: text/html]
Nav_open_url: Url=>dpi:/bm/<
Dpi_start_dpid (child): No such file or directory
Dpi_start_dpid: No such file or directory
dpi.c: ERROR, can't start dpi daemon
Nav_open_url: Url=>file:/mnt/free/dillo/Readme.txt<
Dpi_start_dpid (child): No such file or directory

And last error (can't start dpi deamon) I get when I try to open file. Does anybody have similar problem? (using 2.12)
How to solve it?

And one more thing: Why dillo refreshes whole screen for every little change? Why it doesn't use partial refresh (it would be much faster)?

Last edited by Luka Trifunovic; 03-30-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Luka Trifunovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #63
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable View Post
So all I want to say is: I love my iLiad and I'm really impressed by all the effort of the developers among the iLiad users. But sincerely speaking it seems all you guys are doing these things for yourselves not for the rest of us that do not know anything about programming/scripts/linux etc.
Point taken. I've updated a bit the first post on this thread to make it more understandable, but have done so "relying on my memory" (without checking the steps in the iliad), so it may have some "bugs". If someone can test it, I would appreciate it :-).

Update:: I've just tested the instructions in the first post with my iliad (2.12, received it a few days ago from the repair center and I didn't had installed the developer package yet, so I have tested the procedure from beginning to end) and it works with them. I've also corrected a few minor errors (in the menu names O:-).

Last edited by Antartica; 04-06-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Antartica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #64
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka Trifunovic View Post
Dillo is working but I can't open local files nor use bookmarks. Also I can see just english letters (not even german etc..).
(...)
And last error (can't start dpi deamon) I get when I try to open file. Does anybody have similar problem? (using 2.12)
How to solve it?

And one more thing: Why dillo refreshes whole screen for every little change? Why it doesn't use partial refresh (it would be much faster)?
German should be displayed correctly, and local files should be opened without trying to launch the dpi daemon (that error is shown because I have not compiled/bundled-with-dillo the dpi daemon in the iliad port). Check that you're using the 0.7 version. If you are, complain again...

OTOH, the reason as to not using partial refreshes is that the screen degrades fast with partial refreshes. In my experience, partial refreshes only seem to use 4-colour, and is a lot worse with ghosting, so in a few pages the text is really difficult to read (maybe not difficult, but annoying nevertheless :-).

Update:: I've just seen that I didn't replied to the bookmarks issue. The answer is that bookmarks don't work in this port (it doesn't have all the parts needed for bookmarks to work).

Last edited by Antartica; 04-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #65
DiaLogical
Logical Project
DiaLogical began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Is there a way to change the homepage of the Dillo browser?
DiaLogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #66
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaLogical View Post
Is there a way to change the homepage of the Dillo browser?
Yes.

After you decompressed the dillo zip, it created a "dillo" subdirectory (for example, if you uncompressed it in documents, it should have a documents/dillo subdirectory).

Inside that dillo directory, there is a "hidden" subdirectory named ".dillo" (note the dot, hidden directories start with a dot), and inside it a configuration file named dillorc.

That dillo/.dillo/dillorc is the file you have to edit to change the homepage. Search for a line that says:
home=https://www.mobileread.com/

and change it to suit your needs ;-).
Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #67
disposable
disposable began at the beginning.

I can't get this browser to work!!!

I still can't get any browser to work on my iLiad.
Is there any hope that iRex would come up with one, or incorporate these ones into a future update?
disposable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #68
geppi
geppi began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2
When will Downloading files with dillo be possible on the iLiad ?

What I'm desperately missing is the ability to download files, e.g. pdf-documents to my iLiad when clicking on a link.

As far as I understand this is due to the lack of a dpi daemon port.

In the developer thread about iLiad webbrowsing I read a remark from Antarctica that this could change if the dillo-fltk would be ported to the iLiad.

Is there anything on the horizon ?
geppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #69
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppi View Post
What I'm desperately missing is the ability to download files, e.g. pdf-documents to my iLiad when clicking on a link.

As far as I understand this is due to the lack of a dpi daemon port.

In the developer thread about iLiad webbrowsing I read a remark from Antarctica that this could change if the dillo-fltk would be ported to the iLiad.

Is there anything on the horizon ?
Yes. The dillo-fltk branch is now usable; in fact the developers are considering doing a release soon. I'm testing it on the desktop again, and it is working ok for me.

I hope to release a port of dillo-fltk for the iliad in a month or so (but don't depend on it; I was intending on using xepdmgr to avoid using the hacked libX11, and I still have to finish the first version of xepdmgr!).
Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #70
bard69
bard69 began at the beginning.

I'm missing something

I have installed the Dillo and WiFi on/off utilities and can see the appropriate icons on the iLiad. But when I activate the 'LAN/WIFI On' utility the activity light starts to flash and the progress bar pulshes without end. The only way to stop it is to reboot. The may be a fundamental misunderstanding on my part with regards to how this is supposed to work. I am able to connect to the Irex IDS just fine. I have a wireless access point in my house (DSL) but it doesn't seem to be connecting. Does this not work directly with a wireless access point? What could I be doing wrong?

Bard69
bard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #71
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard69 View Post
I have installed the Dillo and WiFi on/off utilities and can see the appropriate icons on the iLiad. But when I activate the 'LAN/WIFI On' utility the activity light starts to flash and the progress bar pulshes without end. The only way to stop it is to reboot. The may be a fundamental misunderstanding on my part with regards to how this is supposed to work. I am able to connect to the Irex IDS just fine. I have a wireless access point in my house (DSL) but it doesn't seem to be connecting. Does this not work directly with a wireless access point? What could I be doing wrong?
Sorry for the late reply.

The "LAN/Wifi on" just calls connectionmanager to stablish the default connection.

It should work for a wireless access point, but my experience is that it fails sometimes.

If you're using WEP and can use an static IP address there is an alternative: I did long ago a script for connecting the iliad to my AP bypassing connectionmnager. It was quicker and didn't fail. Alas, when I sent my iliad for repairs, it was reflashed (?) and I lost my script.

If you're using WEP, I can try to write the script again. If you use WPA I cannot help because I don't have a WPA-enabled AP to test (so I don't have experience with the configuration of wpa_supplicant that would be needed for that case)...

P.S.: Can you test if it works with a wired connection?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #72
bard69
bard69 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Sorry for the late reply.

The "LAN/Wifi on" just calls connectionmanager to stablish the default connection.

It should work for a wireless access point, but my experience is that it fails sometimes.

If you're using WEP and can use an static IP address there is an alternative: I did long ago a script for connecting the iliad to my AP bypassing connectionmnager. It was quicker and didn't fail. Alas, when I sent my iliad for repairs, it was reflashed (?) and I lost my script.

If you're using WEP, I can try to write the script again. If you use WPA I cannot help because I don't have a WPA-enabled AP to test (so I don't have experience with the configuration of wpa_supplicant that would be needed for that case)...

P.S.: Can you test if it works with a wired connection?
With a little patience I was finally able to login and now it works reasonably consistently on non-secured wireless access points that don't require additional web-based authentication. This allows me to use it home and in coffee houses, which is good. But at work we have web-authenticated (multi-level) wireless access points and the iLiad has difficulty logging into them. The web authenticated access points will present a dynamically allocated internet protocol address but the subsequent use of the access point will redirect to an authentication page before allowing access. The iLiad login attempt fails. This is also the case for all paid-for internet wireless services like Boingo, but this is a great start.
bard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 AM   #73
Leite
Leite began at the beginning.

Device: No one yet
Hi, I'm a new dillo (and iLiad) user. I don't manage to open any article of the New York Times, I click a few times but it remainds me to the same page. With other newspapers it works fine, is the NYT that doesn't give the access to articles that are available for free with a normal pc?
Thanks in advance.
Leite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #74
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leite View Post
Hi, I'm a new dillo (and iLiad) user. I don't manage to open any article of the New York Times, I click a few times but it remainds me to the same page. With other newspapers it works fine, is the NYT that doesn't give the access to articles that are available for free with a normal pc?
Thanks in advance.
Does the following text appears?

Code:
Warning:This page uses the NON-STANDARD meta refresh tag.
The HTML 4.01 SPEC (sec 7.4.4) recommends explicitly to avoid it.The author wanted you to go _here_ after 17 seconds.
If that is the case, click on the underlined "here" to view the article.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #75
Leite
Leite began at the beginning.

Device: No one yet
no, unfortunately
dillo, after "sending the query", doesn't open the page www.nytimes.com......(and something about the login)
I tried to make the login but after cliccking on the "send" button nothing happens
by the way I try to access to articles that are accessible even to a non-subscriber (it's the only newspaper's site that does something like that)
Leite is offline   Reply With Quote