Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #1
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
dillo web browser for the iliad

What is it:
Dillo is a web browser for PDAs and similar devices. It doesn't offer the features of a full-fledged web browser (not comparable in any way to firefox, opera or safari), but is amazingly fast and works with very little resources.

How to install:
1. First of all, you need to have shell access enabled. To have it enabled in your iliad, you have to request it to iRex in this page: https://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php/developer. After that you have to connect the iliad to iDS to fetch the update. More information in the wiki.
2. Download the lastest release of dillo and the connect scripts: dillo-0.8.6_iliad-0.7.zip connection-scripts-1.0.zip
3. Connect the iliad to your PC and uncompress the two zip files to one of the directories of the iliad (for example in "documents")
4. Disconnect the iliad from you PC

How to run:
1. Go to the place you installed (unzipped) the programs (i.e "DOCS")
2. Click on the "Lan/Wifi On" item. The led should blink for some seconds. If it only blinks once, it's probable that the shell access package is not installed (try to launch dillo, if it can launch, then it's correctly installed and the problem is elsewhere).
3. Click on the "Dillo" item. The web browser should open. If the screen doesn't refresh correctly the first time, just tap with the stylus in the screen and it will refresh again.
4. Once you have finished web browsing, click on the underlined "F" in the menu bar, then "Exit", to quit dillo.
5. Click on the "Lan/Wifi Off" item to disconnect from the internet.

Limitations of dillo in the iliad:
- Only accepts latin-1 characters (that is, no unicode, no east-europe encodings, no chinese, no japanese... read this as "only works for pages in english, french, spanish, portuguese, german, italian and similar languages").
- There is support for opening local files, but is rough (report problems, please)
- No bookmark support
- No SSL support (https will not work)
- No download support.

And that is it, more or less.
===Original Message follows===
Hi All!

Using the knowledge gained from the unfinished port of ted to the iliad, I've finally added the bits needed to make dillo work in the iliad.

It's somewhat rough around the edges (after using any hardware button, it lefts the busy led blinking, and it crashes frequently), but it works for some sites.

You have it here, for your testing pleasure:

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...tartica/dillo/

Have fun!

P.S.: You have to enable the network (using a shell script or whatever) before launching dillo.
P.S.2: Caution, this is not thoroughly tested, perhaps you'll have to reset your iliad after using it, etc.

Last edited by Antartica; 04-06-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: disposable message about the mess in this thred (install?).This can be described better, and may have bugs.Please complain :)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Would you mind uploading a pre-built binary, for the benefit of us non-developers?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Would you mind uploading a pre-built binary, for the benefit of us non-developers?
The file at

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...iad-0.4.tar.gz

is a prebuilt binary. In fact, is a tar.gz to untar in the iliad, that creates a folder with the needed run.sh et al (but without manifest.xml and icon).

WinRar supports uncompressing tar.gz (IIRC), if that is what you're asking ;-).

I can pack it also in zip, if using winrar isn't feasible.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
is a prebuilt binary. In fact, is a tar.gz to untar in the iliad, that creates a folder with the needed run.sh et al (but without manifest.xml and icon).
Looks cool, and least you've included source code / diffs from a published dillo version...

(This is why patches + src are so important... The Illiad is under constant development so binaries might not always run on different versions... )
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
The file at

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...iad-0.4.tar.gz

WinRar supports uncompressing tar.gz (IIRC), if that is what you're asking ;-).

I can pack it also in zip, if using winrar isn't feasible.
Aha, I thought it was only the source code. Tar.gz is fine with me, I prefer .zip since I use Windows but 7-zip handles most formats. Will give it a try!
Advert
Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Using the knowledge gained from the unfinished port of ted to the iliad,
Could you please share some of this knowlegde in the wiki? It does not have to be a well-structured tutorial, but some hints about what you did where in the source would be great.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
Could you please share some of this knowlegde in the wiki? It does not have to be a well-structured tutorial, but some hints about what you did where in the source would be great.
Sure!

I was waiting to have all the tools I use uploaded to
http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...ts/toolchains/
but I can begin to document it now.

I'll start a new thread when I put that page up ;-).
Old 12-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Antartica, how do you close Dillo? I think on my iLiad, it doesn't quite fit the screen. Seems like I can just see the edge of a button on the toolbar on the top left? Can't select it with the stylus though.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
Antartica, how do you close Dillo? I think on my iLiad, it doesn't quite fit the screen. Seems like I can just see the edge of a button on the toolbar on the top left? Can't select it with the stylus though.
I remember closing it -- clicking the F icon and then choosing exit?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Narve is right. You have to use the stylus to "click" on the "F" menu, and the "click" on the "Exit Dillo" option.

OTOH, as the stylus is not calibrated, you may try in places near the "F"...

But it should fit your iliad... I'll try to make a shot (or a screenshot O:-) of my iliad running dillo so you can compare it with yours.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
emkay
Zealot

Aha, thanks.
Yes it would be interesting to see a screen capture too...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Has anyone checked the compatability of this with 2.8...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
emkay
Zealot

Yes, still working. It's quite a nice fast browser.

I was thinking, how difficult would it be to write an application which scans the local wireless networks, and lists them (with info about which are encrypted) as links? Click on the link to connect to the network you want to use, maybe with an option to enter an encryption key if necessary.
(Something like the built in network profile manager, but allowing connections without calling IDS.)
This would be really useful when out and about. Quite often there are unsecured networks one can use to pull down web content (like your Guardian 24 script jaed).
Also when Sylpheed Claws is ready, this would be really useful.
I must say I'm finding web browsing on the iLiad really useful too, for text based sites like Wikipedia.
I could do this in java, but I'm not a Linux developer. Anyone have an idea if it's easy or not?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Yes, still working. It's quite a nice fast browser.

I was thinking, how difficult would it be to write an application which scans the local wireless networks, and lists them (with info about which are encrypted) as links? Click on the link to connect to the network you want to use, maybe with an option to enter an encryption key if necessary.
I could do this in java, but I'm not a Linux developer. Anyone have an idea if it's easy or not?
Use shell scripting and the terminal. It is practically the same thing to click in the dialog box that to click in a number in the keyboard, and it keeps the user informed that he is really doing a geeky thing.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Or you can just use the connectionMgr to enable your network...
Tip: try "connectionMgr --help", esp. the --execute is useful.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote