Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
dbrowdy
Enthusiast
dbrowdy is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Took the plunge!

It's official, I ordered a Nook Wi-Fi today. A few months back I was gonna get an Astak PP, but ran into cash flow issues. While researching again, the B+N price drop hit and there's simply nothing that compares for value. I'm kind of sad to not be supporting the little guys (not to mention Astak is local), but the Nook is a solid device and the price is beyond competitive.

With that out of the way, where do I start when it comes to farkles? I want some kind of protection so I can throw it in my bag. I want to download (or make) some wallpapers/screen savers. I want to softroot it eventually...what are the must-have apps once that's done?

I'm all excited!
dbrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Welcome and congratualtions

these are alot of fun.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I already have an Astak device, but am still thinking getting another wireless nook - the v1.3 firmware is quite impressive already, I really dont know what else can be achieved by softrooting - the only thing I see is some kind of better grouping of the books, but still not the folder structure I see on Astak readers.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I ordered one this afternoon as well. I just didn't start a thread about it. Congrats to us!
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal
JazzFlight began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, nook wifi
Ordered one here too. I have an iPad already, but it's just too expensive to bring out in public, not to mention hard to read in sunlight. I'm trying to suck up as many free books from Barnes and Noble's site that I can, but it's almost impossible to filter through all the crappy romance novels they have there.
JazzFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
dbrowdy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzFlight View Post
Ordered one here too. I have an iPad already, but it's just too expensive to bring out in public, not to mention hard to read in sunlight. I'm trying to suck up as many free books from Barnes and Noble's site that I can, but it's almost impossible to filter through all the crappy romance novels they have there.
I read a tip somewhere that if you put in 0.00 (zeroes) in the search box, it'll pull up all the free books. I got some 90k search results and looked at the first 10 pages or so and they were all free. I grabbed a few but most looked like pulp garbage. Definitely hard to sort through, but you get what you pay for, eh?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Dbrowdy. Happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
southernboy30
Reading again....
southernboy30 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I took the plunge Monday. I am happy with the nook. I downloaded Calibre and loaded the nook with a few pdf files I have and it works great. I was in B&N yesterday and got a free coffee and downloaded 5 books and read for an hour.

I haven't read a novel in 5 years. I switched to audio book since I drive a lot. I still listen to my audio books, but now I turn off the TV in the evening and read a good book. Great job B&N.

By the way, I got a reading light for the unit, not the one designed for nook, and I read in bed last night. Wonderful.
southernboy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
arod2051
arod2051 began at the beginning.

Device: non
Add me to the "no longer on the fence club" along with the "lurker turned poster club". All this due to the price drop. I've seriously been looking at an eink based ereader for a couple years but never made the purchase because real books are still cool and I couldn't justify the price. Now I can!!!

I ordered and will wait for a few days to get the device in.

I ordered the Nook over Kindle mainly because my local B&N has(had) the free fridays and a little Nook book club which sounded really cool. I have no idea what they club about, but if they meet to lend books around I think that's a great way to use the feature.

Looking forward to posting more than lurking!
arod2051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I jumped in as well - I just needed a basic e-reader, I have tons of text-based Chinese classics and public domain English novels to read, so I was initially looking for small brands but always loved the screen on the nook, this $150 wifi price really tilt the equation (even if I have no immediate need for network, but a basic browser that can check email sounds a good add-on that I don't mind). I never liked the idea of a touch screen (I would trade for better battery life), but the built-in dictionary is great for my purpose of learning English (it's not easy to look up a word though but I can live with it). Although still not official, the v1.4 firmware actually supports Chinese except for the interface which I prefer stay in English, and I was amazed by the default Chinese fonts on the nook, IMHO, my Chinese ebook looks much better than my Astak mentor which officially supports Chinese but has the ugliest Chinese fonts I have ever seen (and you cannot add new fonts). I also have no immediate needs for the android system (not sure what is the hipe about and I asked people to educate me on what specific benefits on top of v1.4 that I will gain from softroot, no one seems bother to answer - or no one really is sure the benefits themselves), but I figured for $150, I somehow have a future-proof device. BTW, I liked how mp3's sound on the nook, not bad as a portable mp3 player either.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod2051 View Post
Add me to the "no longer on the fence club" along with the "lurker turned poster club". All this due to the price drop. I've seriously been looking at an eink based ereader for a couple years but never made the purchase because real books are still cool and I couldn't justify the price. Now I can!!!

I ordered and will wait for a few days to get the device in.

I ordered the Nook over Kindle mainly because my local B&N has(had) the free fridays and a little Nook book club which sounded really cool. I have no idea what they club about, but if they meet to lend books around I think that's a great way to use the feature.

Looking forward to posting more than lurking!

You'rs has a NookClub I'm jealous. The BN about about an hour from us has a Nook at Night Club. I have a coupld of great ones near my house but they dont' have them yet. Only Nook classes.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

I think I'm sold, too. I know that eReaders will be down under $100 by the end of the summer, but my old Nokia 770 that I've read books on for years has a backlit LCD screen that is useless outdoors (or even near a window indoors), and I don't want to miss out on reading books in my hammock this summer.

I can hardly wait to get it.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
dbrowdy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post
I think I'm sold, too. I know that eReaders will be down under $100 by the end of the summer, but my old Nokia 770 that I've read books on for years has a backlit LCD screen that is useless outdoors (or even near a window indoors), and I don't want to miss out on reading books in my hammock this summer.

I can hardly wait to get it.
I don't know about the end of summer. I'm guessing they're gonna hold off until the "holiday season". Get some great deals on "black Friday" etc. But if you want one now, this is the best deal you're gonna see for months IMO.

It's like buying computer components. You can always wait for the next best thing to come out (either to get that or so the current best thing drops in price) but there will always be another next best thing around the corner. Better to just buy when you're ready and not stress over it.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
superrad
superrad began at the beginning.

Device: none
I ordered mine Wednesday, too. Very exciting stuff!
superrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post
I don't know about the end of summer. I'm guessing they're gonna hold off until the "holiday season".
I was thinking more in terms of "Back to School Sale", for kids going off to college, etc.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote