Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do use Facebook, never heard of LinkedIn and cannot stand Twitter. I have a Twitter account that sits dormant because I don't like Twitter. The odd thing is, total strangers want to follow me on Twitter when I'm not posting a single thing.

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do use Facebook, never heard of LinkedIn and cannot stand Twitter. I have a Twitter account that sits dormant because I don't like Twitter. The odd thing is, total strangers want to follow me on Twitter when I'm not posting a single thing.
I have a Twitter account so I can check news from various sources once in a great while. I don't post, either. I think people (or companies) try to follow people to sell 'em stuff. It's sort of like spam; they follow you, then you look at their account out of curiosity or such, they get to make their pitch. Twitter has a feature that lets you block people (meaning everyone) from following you, though. I use that, so I'm never bothered with requests.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Smile I must admit that I've never even heard of "Linkedin".[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have edited the title of this thread to reflect the fact that this survey is only talking about what American owners of eBook readers do.

I must admit that I've never even heard of "Linkedin".
Me too, but will check it out!
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
gosh - I'm in the wrong country ! A degree & $100,000 per year !

me thinks the sample was biased, somewhat ....
well you do have to remember it did say "Household income" and in this day and age couple's that fall within that age range, 35-45, are most likely to be dual career family's.

My wife and I fall into studies demographic almost to a tee minus the Facebook and Twitter, something we both find annoying. Well at least the twitter part, Facebook well that's allright I guess, just not my thing.

The age range of this study doesn't shock me at all. The older generation "Ahhh in my day a candybar cost a nickle." yeah so an ereader is just not going to be their thing.
(though my sister and I did buy my Father a Nook and he's really enjoying it. but he wouldn't have bought an e-reader on his own though)

the younger generation. "Is it made by Apple?" "No? then it's stupid". "the Ipad will destroy all e-readers." Again if it's not super high speed fast and made by Apple the 15 - 25 year old crowd won't have anything to do with. Let alone having e-ink not being in color.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Tongue-in-cheek Harry?
No. Never come across that site before this thread. But there again I'm older than the demographics of this survey, so perhaps it's something these dang kids of today do...

Last edited by HarryT; 06-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the younger generation. "Is it made by Apple?" "No? then it's stupid". "the Ipad will destroy all e-readers." Again if it's not super high speed fast and made by Apple the 15 - 25 year old crowd won't have anything to do with. Let alone having e-ink not being in color.
Just how the heck can a 15 year old afford Apple kit? I'm a professional in a good job, and I find it damned expensive. Good, but expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Bit too old for the demographic, other than that, sounds about right.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Just how the heck can a 15 year old afford Apple kit? I'm a professional in a good job, and I find it damned expensive. Good, but expensive.
Indulgent parents.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Many teens work, and much of their money is disposable income. I started working at 14 and could've saved for an iPad-priced device in a month or two. My parents didn't believe in giving kids money.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
danglinhnguyen
danglinhnguyen began at the beginning.

Device: none
i've never heard of Linkide.com.
danglinhnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #26
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglinhnguyen View Post
i've never heard of Linkide.com.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinkedIn
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #27
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Well, the US dollar ain't what it used to be.

But I will say the advanced educational opportunities in the US are superb, and last the whole of your life, not a narrow window of time when your judgment is most impaired by youth and parental resentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
gosh - I'm in the wrong country ! A degree & $100,000 per year !

me thinks the sample was biased, somewhat ....
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
haha... I'm finding it quite interesting that many here go against the findings in the survey.

Maybe we just need a larger sample size
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #29
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
haha... I'm finding it quite interesting that many here go against the findings in the survey.

Maybe we just need a larger sample size
I'm guessing that MobileRead users don't reflect most e-reader owners.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm guessing that MobileRead users don't reflect most e-reader owners.
I think you are right about that.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote