Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
iPad Mini Arcade Prototype

For April Fools someone came up with the iCade. A mini arcade cabinet that the iPad could be slid into and play 80's arcade games on.

Some one has taken this to reality and made a prototype in which there is a crude cabinet with working arcade controls for the iPad

Video Link: iPad Arcade Prototype
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
it was think geek

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/iCade.shtml

and they said they had such an overwhelming response that they were looking into making it an actual product. to be honest, i'd pick one up. with apple's change in stance on interperters in apps mame might actually be legit in the itunes store too.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

If not there is always jailbreaking. I think that it would be a huge hit as long as it was coupled with the mini arcade cabinet.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

if they couldn't get mame legit i don't think they'd sell it. they would not want to incur the wrath of apple. plus, the joystick/buttons need to hook up to the docking port, to do that they're going to need apple's blessing on the hardware. they'd also need developers to recognize the joystick and button hardware. unfortunately apple has yet to write any standard api for those kinds of things.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Lotus Esprit
Addict

Did you watch the video on the original post?
The joystick and two buttons were in control of the iPad game app!
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
lack of a "Standard api" never stopped anyone, scottjl.

Props to the Arcade thinger... Though, I'll stick with my heavily modified X-Arcade Dual
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

no. it necessarily didn't. but apple is also itchy with their rejection trigger finger and unlikely to let it through as well.

at one time apple touted a set of APIs for OS X centered around gaming, for audio, video and controllers. you would think they would be implementing something similar on the iPhone platform.

also, hardware that connects up to the 30 pin port requires a blessing from apple (or you get the dreaded "this device isn't compatible with this iphone" message). and apple has sent their lawyers after some non-blessed devices. think geek just isn't going to go about the trouble of mass producing the cabinet if they can't get apple's blessing. there's a big difference between a hacker and his one-off and trying to make some money off a relatively niche mass-produced product.

personally, i'd love to see the cabinet be produced. i'd get one. i already own several original video games and pinball machines from the 70's and 80's in my game room. an ipad running mame next to them would be as funny as it is functional.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
You could build an arcade cabinet, authentic controls and all, for less than the ipad would cost you, though.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

maybe, if you have time, materials, tools, and ability to do so.