Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #76
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Eink brought me here. I first learned about on either Engadget or Gizmondo and when I heard Sony was lauching the 500 I had to just find out more about the device and the tech. behind it. So a search on google lead me to this place, which is filled with a lot of useful information and helpful people! So now i can't help but keep coming back for the latest news on electronic readers.
But you dont' have one yet??? Egads!

Heh, sorry, I can't help myself sometimes I don't know how you survived this long without buying one!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #77
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I was researching self-publishing and ebook formats for two writer pals when I came here, and then I got "involved" (which is very easy). After a couple of weeks all my plans changed, and everything got very exciting, very quickly both here and in the ebook world. The rest, well, the rest is history
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #78
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
sony reader when it first came out; too expensive at the time and knowing nothing otherwise I carried on reading paper books >

then the kindle was advertised by Amazon which re-kindled (sic) an interest, but I didn't like the style of it so investigating once again >

returned to look at the sony >

googled for e-reader devices and found bookeen & iLiad >

and then MobileRead which helped me to

>>> decide on the Cybook ....

In truth it was the launch of the Kindle that really started it ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #79
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I discovered the Sony Reader through a Kindle post on tivocommunity.com. Several of the people posting had a Sony 500 or a Sony 505 and there were many comparisons between that and the Kindle.

After I ordered the Reader, I did a google search for an ebook forum -- I have had such good experiences with forums for my Nikon (nikonians.org) and my TiVo (tivocommunity.com) that I wanted to find something similar for my Reader. I was so happy to find MobileReads -- it is exactly what I wanted to find!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #80
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I saw the PRS505 in a Waterstones and immediately wanted one - I love reading and I love gadgets, what more could I want.

Being a cautious type before spending money, I then started googling PRS505 and similar which, of course, soon led to Mobileread which immediately hooked me as a tremendous source of information and friendly, knowledgeable people only too happy to help e-reader 'virgins' like me.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #81
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I was reading e-books for a very long time. My first reader was an old, salvaged notebook. No battery, 640x480 grey scale display, 286 processor, no harddisk.
One day, I found a very, very interesting gadget on the net. It was Sony Librie. I set out to search the net for more info and found this site.
I delurked when I was preparing to buy Sony Reader PRS-500.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #82
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, well it's all sort of a blur, but i think this is how it happened...

about 10 years ago i saw an article in a magazine about ebook readers. it was probably the cytale (the precursor to bookeen's cybook). was intrigued, but never saw one in person, and soon forgot about it.

several years later, stumbled across project gutenberg and was beside myself with joy. downloaded hundreds (really) of books from them in my excitement (in plain text, for the most part), but quickly discovered that reading a novel in plain text on a computer was something i just couldn't do. stopped downloading, and sort of forgot about that too for a while.

about a year and a half ago, organising my hard drive, i saw my project gutenberg folder (with all those books i really wanted to read) and thought to myself, "it's really a shame it's so uncomfortable to read on my pc. what i need is something smaller, portable, that i could carry around and use in a chair or in bed. something like an ipod for books. i wonder if that exists ? or maybe i could read on my phone..." i first started looking at portable mp4 players which could read .txt files, on ebay (you have no idea how many of those they're selling in china...). found the java app books from booksinmyphone.com. more research led me here, although i can't remember just how it happened, and i learned about the cybook, the 505, countless others, and... the eb1150, which i chose to test the waters on a cheaper device just in case i really didn't like reading ebooks after all . i haven't managed to leave since then.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #83
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, well it's all sort of a blur, but i think this is how it happened...

about 10 years ago i saw an article in a magazine about ebook readers. it was probably the cytale (the precursor to bookeen's cybook). was intrigued, but never saw one in person, and soon forgot about it.

several years later, stumbled across project gutenberg and was beside myself with joy. downloaded hundreds (really) of books from them in my excitement (in plain text, for the most part), but quickly discovered that reading a novel in plain text on a computer was something i just couldn't do. stopped downloading, and sort of forgot about that too for a while.

about a year and a half ago, organising my hard drive, i saw my project gutenberg folder (with all those books i really wanted to read) and thought to myself, "it's really a shame it's so uncomfortable to read on my pc. what i need is something smaller, portable, that i could carry around and use in a chair or in bed. something like an ipod for books. i wonder if that exists ?" i first started looking at portable mp4 players which could read .txt files, on ebay (you have no idea how many of those they're selling in china...). more research led me here, although i can't remember just how it happened, and i learned about the cybook, the 505, countless others, and... the eb1150, which i chose to test the waters on a cheaper device just in case i really didn't like reading ebooks after all . i haven't managed to leave since then.

and all the socks would have us believe you now have another reading device to add to that eb1150 ...... ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #84
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
and all the socks would have us believe you now have another reading device to add to that eb1150 ...... ?
She ignores this type of posts. You are not the first user who pointed it out to her.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #85
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
She ignores this type of posts. You are not the first user who pointed it out to her.
Women are supposed to be mysterious. . .

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #86
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I fell into MR while doing research (Should I get a Kindle or a Sony? Got the Sony. Thanks everyone.). The reviews were really interesting and everybody seemed really friendly. Better than some sites where it seemed like people were so committed to their device it was a fanatic ideology. I don't know how many times I have stopped in to view the forums until I finally did the obvious and joined. I think I spend as much time now reading about ebooks as reading them.

Last edited by Journier; 07-19-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Had to correct my spelling. I are literate after all.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #87
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
I think I spend as much time now reading about ebooks as reading them.
Welcome to the addiction
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #88
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
I don't know how many times I have stopped in to view the forums until I finally did the obvious and joined. I think I spend as much time now reading about ebooks as reading them.
yep, i think you'll find quite a few of us are in the same situation. it's ironic, really ; we come to this site to learn how to get the most out of ebooks, and end up spending so much time here that we have far less time to actually read those ebooks...

(also, what am said. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #89
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Stumbled across the Sony 505 in Waterstones last year, already knew about eink, was tempted, didn't resist very long, and bought my 505 as an Xmas present to myself. Got interested in how to DIY an epub, googled, found MR, got addicted, can't afford therapy. Free time now dissipated equally between reading ebooks and reading MR.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #90
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
My husband gave me a Reader for our anniversary. I had tons of questions, googled them and always found the answers here. I've been pretty addicted since.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote